A500 4.01 ICS update happened this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

romez27

Apr 30, 2012
I am having the same issue with screen rotation. Also wifi is no longer scanning automatically.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum
i am in uk and been havin network trouble when trying to update to ics .and i have update enhancer ... i rang acer and they said that they have been having problems with the update so it has been pulled back and will be sorted out soon . but no time period

stroppy

Apr 28, 2012
Okay...official word from the Acer Iconia help desk (Australia)... The early ICS update had "technical issues" and the update has been rolled back to May 17th for us Australians (I suppose it applies to other parts of the world still waiting as well). If you are getting the "move to another area with better network coverage" message the problem is NOT yours or your equipment...it is at Acer's end and that, according to the rep I spoke to, is official. Those getting that weird message on trying to update will notice that,f rom time to time they will also get the message telling them (erroneously) that their tab is up to date. Just wait folks...better to wait and be happy than get a botched download.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
I live in Kansas, have a Gen2 a100 running 3.2. My husband n I still have not received any updates! I will not buy another Acer product due to the lies, bullcrap and horrible customer support. Will also not recommend one again.

romez27

Apr 30, 2012
I live in Kansas, have a Gen2 a100 running 3.2. My husband n I still have not received any updates! I will not buy another Acer product due to the lies, bullcrap and horrible customer support. Will also not recommend one again.
yea i know what your saying customer service in uk is terrible noone speaks english for a start and when i rang to tell them about network error when trying to dl ics he didnt have a clue what i was on about . had me on phone for ages resseting then hard resetting and when i asked aboit the update enhancer problems he hadnt even heard of it lol

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
I've done all of that. Woke up this morning n still nothing. I wish I could send it back, get my money back n save a while n buy an Asus transformer. I'm tired of dealing with Acer. Half of their support people don't know anything. Seriously, don't they TRAIN these ppl??!!! How can they work for Acer n not know anything about the product?! Idk if there's something I need to do that I haven't done cuz they don't know either. Idiots!

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I've done all of that. Woke up this morning n still nothing. I wish I could send it back, get my money back n save a while n buy an Asus transformer. I'm tired of dealing with Acer. Half of their support people don't know anything. Seriously, don't they TRAIN these ppl??!!! How can they work for Acer n not know anything about the product?! Idk if there's something I need to do that I haven't done cuz they don't know either. Idiots!

Did you apply the updater update from the market? If not you may never get ICS.

Sgooter

Apr 29, 2012
Recently joined the forum, and just fired up a new/refurb A500 yesterday. So while waiting for the ICS OTA update, I read on the forum that the updater app could be corrupted, so I checked its status and it indicated an update was available for the updater app. Once the updater app was updated, the OTA ICS update was quickly detected and ready for download, which is occurring now!
If you have the updater app installed and are still waiting for the OTA ICS update, then make sure your updater app is current.

Last edited:

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
Sgooter said:
Recently joined the forum, and just fired up a new/refurb A500 yesterday. So while waiting for the ICS OTA update, I read on the forum that the updater app could be corrupted, so I checked its status and it indicated an update was available for the updater app. Once the updater app was updated, the OTA ICS update was quickly detected and ready for download, which is occurring now!
If you have the updater app installed and are still waiting for the OTA ICS update, then make sure your updater app is current.

I can't use that updater n there's no update for mine, I've checked.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
romez27 said:
yea i know what your saying customer service in uk is terrible noone speaks english for a start and when i rang to tell them about network error when trying to dl ics he didnt have a clue what i was on about . had me on phone for ages resseting then hard resetting and when i asked aboit the update enhancer problems he hadnt even heard of it lol

I got update to 3.2.1 today n I keep checking but no more for now. Someone on xda posted their convo with Acer support n they said within 2 weeks. I'm so tired of waiting! And I know it's dumb, but I'm having anxiety about it........wtf, right? Its just pissing me off so bad that we were supposed to get it last week and we were JUST updated to 3.2.1. I just don't understand how they can do business like this.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I got update to 3.2.1 today n I keep checking but no more for now. Someone on xda posted their convo with Acer support n they said within 2 weeks. I'm so tired of waiting! And I know it's dumb, but I'm having anxiety about it........wtf, right? Its just pissing me off so bad that we were supposed to get it last week and we were JUST updated to 3.2.1. I just don't understand how they can do business like this.

I don't really understand how this is a business complaint. Just because it is not within your personal time frame? The updates are going out and you will get it when you get it. The difference in a few days or even a couple of weeks is negligible. This in not uncommon in electronics, software or any other business including movies, autos, music and others. Some regions get updates first and some individuals within a region get updates before others. That is *standard* business and you will survive.

If your anxiety is such that you can't function or your health is at risk I suggest you seek the assistance of a medical professional. I mean that in all sincerity and no sarcasm what so ever. There is no reason the simple timing of an update should effect your health or that a company should be expected to do things to suit your personal preference.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
J515OP said:
I don't really understand how this is a business complaint. Just because it is not within your personal time frame? The updates are going out and you will get it when you get it. The difference in a few days or even a couple of weeks is negligible. This in not uncommon in electronics, software or any other business including movies, autos, music and others. Some regions get updates first and some individuals within a region get updates before others. That is *standard* business and you will survive.

If your anxiety is such that you can't function or your health is at risk I suggest you seek the assistance of a medical professional. I mean that in all sincerity and no sarcasm what so ever. There is no reason the simple timing of an update should effect your health or that a company should be expected to do things to suit your personal preference.

They should do the **** they say theyre gonna do when they say theyre gonna do it, just like most ppl n the world. I'm not the only person pissed off about this. The update was one of the reasons I got this tablet. Not to mention, Acer support is full of idiots. I got different answers from them, some didn't know. Ppl have asked n asked about it on twitter and fb and they don't answer. At all! I was told I wasn't gonna get it because I didn't ever get 3.2.1, not my fault. Now I got it, and still no ics. The anxiety isn't affecting me, I always have it. This is just the thing I'm obsessing over at the time. And since I don't have insurance thru my job I can't go to the Dr. Maybe I should quit my job n go on welfare.........lol.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well I am sorry to hear about your anxiety and hope you get the update soon. All I can do is assure you this is standard and you aren't being left out intentionally. They are doing what they said and are pushing the updates. Look back through the threads of this forum and you will see these exact same responses to every update Android has ever had. Yes people get upset about it but that is a choice they make and one you can make also. There is no need to get upset about it if you choose not to. Really the update isn't going to make you a millionaire or alter the course of your life. It is just a software update. In fact there are always people that wish they could go back even after getting the update and you don't have to look far to see those comments.

Just relax and I'm sure you'll have it soon enough. It certainly isn't worth your health or frayed nerves.