A500 as a phone?

Slickspace

Aug 5, 2011
What app(s) would I need to get to make the acer iconia a500 to work like a phone. Free apps preferred.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
What app(s) would I need to get to make the acer iconia a500 to work like a phone. Free apps preferred.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

You'll need a A501 with 3g. Unless you want to tether the A500 to amobile/cell phone but then what is the point. The one thing you can do is use skype and your home wireless to have connection to the internet. Someone has had a look inside A500 the SIM card holder is empty and the cct necessary for 3g is missing.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
With Google Voice you can do it over the internet. Providing you have WiFi connection available. I use Google Voice on my A500 for text messaging to save texting fees on my Verizon Droid.

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
The latest Skype can do not only video calls, it can also call phone or mobile phones as well.

As long as you buy credit to be able to call phones. :D

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
My A500 has its own phone number.

This is an interesting exercise but not a terribly practical solution. While it all works, the low mic problem of the
acer makes things a little bit tricky. But it does work. And I receive calls from land lines as well as calls to and from other SIP phones in other countries for free. The only part I have to pay for is calls to a land line, but even that is cheep.

I wrote this howto for some friends:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...it?authkey=CMmd--0L&hl=en_US&authkey=CMmd--0L

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
My A500 has its own phone number.

This is an interesting exercise but not a terribly practical solution. While it all works, the low mic problem of the
acer makes things a little bit tricky. But it does work. And I receive calls from land lines as well as calls to and from other SIP phones in other countries for free. The only part I have to pay for is calls to a land line, but even that is cheep.

I wrote this howto for some friends:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...it?authkey=CMmd--0L&hl=en_US&authkey=CMmd--0L

He hasn't said that he wanted to leave his A500 at home. The question was wide open maybe suggesting that he wanted to carry his tab around with him like a cell/mobile phone. If he doesn't have WIFI access?

Yeah voIP but in that case you could enter your ISP's SIP and have very cheap calls. I actually have a voip line with its own number and I can call any phone btw here and Mars.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
I thought you could use Google Voice to make phone calls, I thought that was in the app description. I have a GV phone number but I can't seem to find out how to make calls from the A500. I can make call from the laptop and that doesn't have 3G. Am I missing something?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Yes, you are missing something.

You are missing even a basic understanding of what google voice is all about.

Go back and read about it again.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
From the app description in the market:
"Make cheap international calls with your Google number. Send free text messages. Place calls and send text messages showing your Google number. Listen to voicemail and ead transcripts. Currently only available in the US. IMPORTANT: You must open Google Voice at least once after upgrading to route calls."
https://market.android.com/details?...5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5hcHBzLmdvb2dsZXZvaWNlIl0.

It says right there - "place calls ... ". Even though it listed as being compatible, does it only work on a phone? I still don't get why I can place calls from the laptop and not my A500.
I also don't get why I can't search, buy, upload/ download music via Google Music on the A500; but I can on my Droid X2. I swear that they have the same Google Music version - but I need to double check that when I get home.

Really, what am I missing?

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Yes, Google Voice requires an actual phone. If you want to place calls from your tablet without having "phone functionality" in your tablet, then you need to use Skype.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Yes, Google Voice requires an actual phone. If you want to place calls from your tablet without having "phone functionality" in your tablet, then you need to use Skype.

Not necessarily. See post #5 above.

But you are dead on correct that Scubaboyc seems to totally have missed the point of Google Voice. (But insists on arguing about it).

Worse he is confusing Google TALK with Google Voice.

Google Talk, or the version of google talk embedded in the Gmail web page, can make calls from the computer but ONLY if you use the Gmail web page. And even if you do use the web page it only works if you download the plug-in, (or install the Google Talk software, which isn't available for android.

Google Voice is an elaborate answering machine and call forwarding application. It can't make phone calls without a phone on both ends.

(Not yet anyway. Google could turn this on any time they want, but that would bring a lot of government regulation as a common carrier that they do not want to attract.)

Google Voice can send SMS from the tablet, and you can play your voice mail. But you can not make or receive calls on your Acer A500 without using something like skype or the method mentioned in Post 5 above.

Last edited:

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011

OK - but my laptop does not have "phone functionality", so should I assume that this is more how the hardware/ software is built/wriiten?

I use Skype. I use it on both the laptop and A500. I also use G-Voice on the laptop. So, hopefully you understand my confusion.

Thanks.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
@Icebike - See, you just answered it plan and simple. It never clicked that the plugin was not the same thing. Not trying argue, just standing on the dock as the boat flies by.
And if I would have seen your earlier post, I would not have posted above. Not arguing - just completely lost.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I also use G-Voice on the laptop.

The only thing you can do with Google Voice on the laptop is use the web page, and all you can do on the web page is listen to your voice mail sms messages and send sms messages. Same as the Android App.

You can not originate or receive a Google Voice call from or to your computer (or your tablet).
There has to be a physical phone involved. Period. End of story.

If you see a "call with google voice" when you hover your computer mouse over a phone number of a web page, it will call your phone, not your computer.

tardis

Dec 2, 2011
I've been using Groove IP on my phone, and now use it on my a500. Groove IP provides FREE VOIP calling!!!!!!! 3g/4g and wi-fi. I just made a call over wi-fi from the hotspot on my android phone - and the call quality was awesome. You need Google voice. This is one of the BEST Android apps in the world, IMO. So try it - Groove IP. *I only use it and have only tried with outgoing calls*

I am not affiliated with Groove IP, except I bought it from Amazon Android App store when it was on sale for $2. Post your experience with it.