A500 compass

csoren

May 19, 2011
It looks like the update fixes the accelerometer being off
That's excellent news, thanks! Now if only Acer would push an update to us emea_gen3 owners :-/

but the compass is still off by 90 degrees.
:-( If it's consistently off by 90 degrees, it should be fixable in software, even if the hardware was installed wrong. I don't know what the magnetic field sensor looks like (how it's packaged) but I think it sounds unlikely that it could be installed wrong. For instance a square chip with pins on all edges is highly unlikely to function at all if rotated 90 degrees.

csoren

May 19, 2011
If it's consistently off by 90 degrees, it should be fixable in software, even if the hardware was installed wrong.
I finally had an update for mine. Compass is now perfect here, so maybe yours IS installed wrong, who knows.

Last edited:

csoren

May 19, 2011
Can you link to your compass app that's working correctly now after the update?
My compass app (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.apksoftware.compass) is still off by -90 deg even after the firmware update from Acer.
Hmm I see what you mean. By "compass" I meant the orientation sensor. This sensor now works perfectly in Google Sky Map, Maps and Street View. The compass app you're linking to is indeed off by 90 degrees. I suspect this is because the natural orientation of the device is 90 degrees offset from what a phone normally is. There's an article on the Android Developer Blog talking about this exact problem and how to code around it. Android Developers Blog: One Screen Turn Deserves Another

In short, I think it's a bug in the compass app. If the Google apps work fine (as they do here), don't worry about it.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Hmm I see what you mean. By "compass" I meant the orientation sensor. This sensor now works perfectly in Google Sky Map, Maps and Street View. The compass app you're linking to is indeed off by 90 degrees. I suspect this is because the natural orientation of the device is 90 degrees offset from what a phone normally is. There's an article on the Android Developer Blog talking about this exact problem and how to code around it. Android Developers Blog: One Screen Turn Deserves Another

In short, I think it's a bug in the compass app. If the Google apps work fine (as they do here), don't worry about it.
Yeah, your explanation makes sense. The real nav apps and GPS test, and Google Sky all indicate north properly- as you said- the compass apps were probably written for a phone and they're oriented differently than the tablets.
Nice job!

Oct 18, 2010
3d compass works great for me. AFTER the update. It was crazy before the update.. I always had that 'post's feeling....

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

inoktav

May 2, 2011
I don't mean to lead this thread OOT but my tablet, Kylin Q709 has a terrible weak signal capturing on its GPS, and it affect also on the compass. I have used all the apps you guys tried here but until now it's so hard to get a lock on satellites or calibrating the compass. Anyone have some clues how to tweak my GPS or compass?

robdroid

May 4, 2011
3d compass works great for me. AFTER the update. It was crazy before the update.. I always had that 'post's feeling....

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
Seems accurate on my A500 now too.
The older simple compass apps that were designed for phones still are off by -90 deg though.

Dec 30, 2012
Just checking in, my Acer Iconia A500 with ICE still shows off by 90 degrees with various compass applications. Any fix for this yet?