A500 Failure Rate

Apr 29, 2011
I was curious who has had to exchange their tab for another one. I picked one on Monday. Worked great for 2 days then the screen went fuzzy in landscape mode. Tried reset and a hardware reset but did not help. Went to BB last night and exchanged. Last night it worked great. Today it keeps asking me every 2-5 mins if I want to shut down. What do you think? Is there a fix or should I go exchange one more time? Third time is a charm they same.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
You may very well need to exchange it again. BUT... before you do, check and make sure that something you downloaded isn't causing this current problem. I would uninstall the latest downloads one by one and watch its behavior. Think about what you may have downloaded while it was working great. Also, if you downloaded something that didn't come from the Market, that (or those) should be the first to go... Hopefully you won't need to exchange again.

Apr 29, 2011
Good call. I really don't have much downloaded on it right now. I think I will do a factory reset and play with it to see what happens.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Good call. I really don't have much downloaded on it right now. I think I will do a factory reset and play with it to see what happens.

I recommend you run it down till it shuts down by itself, then charge it overnight, a good 8 hours at least. Long after the unit shows full charge.

Often with Li-Poly batteries, the battery charge measuring circuit has no clear measurement of how far down the battery can go, and it signals exhaustion long before its any where near drained.

Running it down till the battery's own protective circuit kicks in and takes the battery off line allows the charge circuit see just how far you can push the battery and after a full charge it will have a complete picture of the battery performance.

This is called a "calibrating" the battery, but in fact you are calibrating the charge measuring circuit chip on the motherboard.

See "How do I calibrate a “smart” battery?" on THIS Page.

See also Charging Lithium-ion – Battery University