A500 Front Glass - Is it glass?

Nascar Dog

Apr 28, 2011
I just watched a review on the A500 and they said the front panel felt more plastic than glass and some minor scratches were already appearing.

Mentioned at 1:57

Is the front glass or plastic?
Maybe just not gorilla glass....

Last edited by a moderator:

dhornick

May 12, 2011
I thought it was gorilla glass... it doesn't feel like plastic to me and hasn't scratched yet and I've had it for 2 weeks

pentool

May 1, 2011
There are two ways to find out:

1. Get a hammer - or
2. Email Acer tech support (hopefully they will give an honest answer)

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Test you can do but it might scratch it. To me it felt like plastic or the same stuff they use on the ACER ASPIRE ONE Tablet just with plastic clear over. Best to confirm this by contacting ACER USA. But this guy in the video as already scratched the panel So that means it made out of some sort of plastic. I should be able to use ScatchX on it to buff out the scratches. GG is very expensive so ACER had to cut cost some where.

Nascar Dog

Apr 28, 2011
There are two ways to find out:

1. Get a hammer - or
2. Email Acer tech support (hopefully they will give an honest answer)

I am picking my A500 up tonight. :)
I will compare it to the Transformer gorilla glass.

Nascar Dog

Apr 28, 2011
Good to know. :)

Maybe they added an iPad like "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating" to the glass?

beliyrost

May 1, 2011
Just got off the phone, was talking to acer technical support representative about display glass and she confirmed that it is a gorilla glass. So I am kind of happy, before i bought an acer i was considering asus tf101 and gorilla glass was one of the selling points. But got the acer because it has usb port and was available at bby. Good to know it's a gorilla glass. I don't know why they do not advertise it, that can be a selling point for some people. She couldn't answer that question due to lack of information she got(i guess).

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
@nascar dog...lol they definitely didn't add any type of fingerprint resistant...we all know that much :)

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
MY question is, how rough does one have to be to scratch the glass in the first place, Gorilla Glass or not?! For this much money, you'd think that people would not see/use their tablet as a throwaway object that they shouldn't handle with some modicum of care. But maybe it's just me... ;)

Futant55

May 2, 2011
I have an atrix with gorilla glass, had it since the launch day, and it has a few hairline scratches in it. I put an invisishield on my a500 and it helped a lot with the fingerprints and glare with no noticable side effects. very pleased with it.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Maybe the guy in the video was wrong about the scratch. Sometimes stuff can be a little hard to get off the surface...you have to wet it and rub a lot.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
Haven't had any scratches either. although its not like I store it in my pocket with keys and coins like I do my phone. I've had invisishield on other devices before like the Samsung Instinct but ultimately removed it because I didn't like the textured appearance. Crystal clear protectors are more attractive in my opinion but still affect touch sensitivity. All my past devices like an HTC Hero (which I've used heavily for 2 years) and iPod touch have both gone without screen film for a while now and neither has any significant scratching. My Nexus S and A500 will follow the same tradition. IMHO another gimmick for frenzied buyers. Sure if you're driving around a desert in a humvee with dust bombarding you from every direction, or working on a construction site where your hands are perpetually dirty, a screen protector is probably a good idea - but in 99% of the other cases when you're using a device around the house or in the car you're probably okay with getting by without.