A500 + Google Play Store (process com.android.vending )Force Stop

Hw00d

Oct 5, 2013
Hello, this Acer has an issue w/ application Google Play Store?? (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly Please try again
Happens @ anytime. I go to Market and download an app, @ any point between d-loading and install, if I go to to "My apps" I get the above warning
I have factory reset it twice (Power + Vol down,release power then slide lock), fresh w/ nothing extra installed yet it still happens. Does it with, or without the 43 meg OS update it wants after factory reset
is this thing factory toasted???
thanks in advance
~Hw00d

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

There are a couple possibilities, (maybe even a router/WiFi issue) but I suggest you go to settings - apps - all and find the Google Store app and the vending app and in each, clear the cache - force stop and restart. What you described should not be happening after a factory reset but maybe the reset(s) missed something.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Please provide some version information for the Play Store app, and the tablet OS.

The "43MB system update" you refer to seems unusual, because system updates do not depend on a factory reset to appear. Also, the a500 OS has not been updated for over a year. That seems to imply that your tablet may not have been updated back then for some reason, and may be out of date -- possibly still running Honeycomb.

Note that the factory data reset can be run from Settings > Backup & reset. Resetting by using the button sequence does nothing more than the Settings version. Both do the exact same thing. The only reason to use the button method is if you cannot access the Settings menus. The reset was not likely necessary though. Clearing data for the Play Store app accomplishes the same end for a Play Store specific problem.

If your tablet is up to date on ICS, then it seems more likely that this is merely a Play Store account problem. I have seen updates of some apps repeatedly crash Play Store. One thing you could try then is to use a different Google account with the tablet, preferably one that does not have a long list of "owned" apps in Play Store. Another thing to try is removing all free apps from the app list for the account. You can do this on one of your Android devices, or using a PC.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
One other thing.

Factory reset is:
Push & hold volume up button.
Push & hold power button until tablet vibrates.
Then let go of the power button only
Toggle the screen lock switch on/off.

Volume down gets you into OS recovery mode where you can load the OS from a micro SD card. Behaves like a OTA update.

I have had to do this because my A500 was stuck on ACER splash screen.

Hw00d

Oct 5, 2013
thank you everyone!
finally get a chance to figure out this paltry dilemma and it may have solved itself???
I power on, and google play store has an 8 meg update, so i take it, and all seems well so far, apps D-load and run w/ no errors now.
Store appearance has changed radically, nice! Will drop a note here if it appears again
more info on device

Android V
Kernel version
2.6.36.3+
Build#
Acer_A500_7.014.01_COM_GEN2

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Definitely the OS is HONEYCOMBE.

You had the old version of market/google play

bgeps

Nov 28, 2013
Hello, this Acer has an issue w/ application Google Play Store?? (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly Please try again
Happens @ anytime. I go to Market and download an app, @ any point between d-loading and install, if I go to to "My apps" I get the above warning
I have factory reset it twice (Power + Vol down,release power then slide lock), fresh w/ nothing extra installed yet it still happens. Does it with, or without the 43 meg OS update it wants after factory reset
is this thing factory toasted???
thanks in advance
~Hw00d

I seem to have fixed the worst of this--thanks all for the help! I was unable to download any new apps because the Market/Google Play crashed whenever I tried.
Uninstalling updates of Google Play and clearing data/cache worked--I can download now. I can now watch videos from Netflix as I was able to before. But I am still getting the error above ((process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly Please try again ) regularly. I'm living with it.

It seems that I am unable to upgrade to the most recent compatible Android OS without major gymnastics. I'm guessing that would fix the problem and give me a more functional tablet. It will only update to 3.1 and nothing else. Seems there are multiple steps--rooting, etc, on other sites needed to do this. Anyone know of a simplified procedure? (I have an Acer A500)

Thanks!