A500 Laggy, Unresponsive at Times

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
So after really loving this tablet for almost 2 years, it's starting to really frustrate me. It has gotten very laggy and at times totally unresponsive especially using any web browser. Many times I have to do a restart. This seems to help some, but not for long.
Any ideas on what is causing this and what I can do to help it ?
I've considered a hard reset, but that would mean recording/remembering all my apps. Backing up my data is easy enough.
Any thoughts or experience with this appreciated
Thanks
Diane

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
Wow, 165 views and not even one suggestion? Im dissapointed. Please, someone give me some thoughts here

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Install Watchdog Lite from Play Store. Use the default settings. It will notify you when an app is using too much CPU in the background, which is a very common cause of what you are describing. Any app that it alerts on is likely poorly implemented, and should be removed, or at least terminated when not in use.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
A reload of the OS maybe a suggestion.

You'll eventually find it will start rebooting, more an more frequently. Then one day it won't boot but come up with the android screen and get stuck there.

This sort of happened to my A500. It was bricked. I downloaded the OTA update file from xda-developers and reloaded the OS.

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
Thanks Douvie,. I did take the plunge and did a factory reset. I guess it keeps the newer os , but it did come back somewhat fresher, but still some issues and apps doing the "stopped, wait, close, ok" deal. I guess for now just see how it reacts. Im finding im using my 7" Galaxy Tab more, because it seems faster and more responsive with less halts. Will there ever be an OS update to 4.1 for the A500? I would look for a new big tablet, but cant find any with the full size USB port, like A500 has, I really love that.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I did take the plunge and did a factory reset. I guess it keeps the newer os , but it did come back somewhat fresher, but still some issues and apps doing the "stopped, wait, close, ok" deal.

Yeah, that helps a little.

Im finding im using my 7" Galaxy Tab more, because it seems faster and more responsive with less halts.

I have a Galaxy NOTE 10.1, it is amazing how much faster a few extra cores can make the tablet. The A500 is only Dual core technology....

Will there ever be an OS update to 4.1 for the A500? I would look for a new big tablet, but cant find any with the full size USB port, like A500 has, I really love that.

...but it has its plusses, like you say, the full size USB.

As for the update to 4.1 ACER will not be providing support for devices over 12 months old - which is why I bought a samsung. However if you head over to XDA-developers forum there are some non-genuine UPDATES OS's available, if you feel brave enough (I'm not), and you can download them. However I will advise that you read the instructions how to implement. Read it a few times, that a few screen shots, check out the available video clips and etc. My intention is to keep the A500 unroofed.

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
Thanks, ya I could probably do the "root route" and do the xda update. Ive done similar stuff with my original eeeputer (linux os), and my beloved Palm Pre (sad that OS never really took off), but ehh not in the mood to do that these days. So you like the Note huh? Do you miss the full size usb port? Does the Note have a micro USB port? I know it has the micro usb charging port, but can that be accessed for moving files, etc? I got the $49 deal Galaxy tab 3, from Sprint, and really love it. It is fast and responsive, and so damn cute :). I got it because the deal was so good and I wanted a cell network tablet. For the $49 bucks, and 15/month for 2gb/mo data, it was too good to pass up. I really do like Samsung prouducts. Waiting to see the black friday specials, and probably will update my Nexus S phone for the Galaxy s4.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
You may want to watch out for HP's new 10- inch Android tablet. It's supposed to include two micro-USB ports, one for battery charging and the other for data transfer, I'm guessing.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
According to HP, the Slate 10 HD will go on sale in November.
Other features of the alleged HP tablet revealed by the FCC listing include dual cameras (front and rear); microSD card slot; power button; volume rocker controls; HDMI port and a 3.5mm audio jack. In addition, the tablet is seen boasting two speakers at the bottom panel. Unfortunately, not much has been revealed about the innards of the 10-inch Android tablet.

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
Thanks! Edap, I'll be on the lookout for it :). Wonder if the price will be a bit less steep than the Note 10. Really? 600 for a tablet? Thats as much as a laptop.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
The price, like everything else about this tablet, remains a mystery. But, I'm pretty sure that the tech manufacturer wants to get a piece of the holiday market. Consumers always go on a shopping spree during the holidays, and tech products remain some of the most sought after and best-selling items during this time.
According to sources, HP is reportedly brewing something up its sleeve. It seems the company wants to obtain a share of the tablet market.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
dianehele10.1b B8211 said:
Thanks, ya I could probably do the "root route" and do the xda update. Ive done similar stuff with my original eeeputer (linux os), and my beloved Palm Pre (sad that OS never really took off) not in the mood to do that these days. So you like the Note huh? Do you miss the full size usb port? Does the Note have a micro USB port? I know it has the micro usb charging port, but can that be accessed for moving files, etc? I got the $49 deal Galaxy tab 3, from Sprint, and really love it. It is fast and responsive, and so damn cute :). I got it because the deal was so good and I wanted a cell network tablet. For the $49 bucks, and 15/month for 2gb/mo data, it was too good to pass up. I really do like Samsung prouducts. Waiting to see the black friday specials, and probably will update my Nexus S phone for the Galaxy s4.

I like the NOTE 10.1 but mine it the older one which comes with a 30 pin connector but I have the adapter which has fullsize USB and SD CARD reader. The 2014 model has gone to back using mini/micro usb port - no 30 pin connector.