A500 Questions Pre-Purchase

AarOOn

May 18, 2011
Looking at picking this tablet up. Just had a few questions.

Can you play video from external usb storage (Eg. USB Flash or External HD) just like you would from internal storage? Same thing with music.

Also, is there a good streaming app to stream from my media server (Windows 7) to this device? My wife has an iPad and I always use the stream to me app on it, I'd like similar functionality.

A500 vs Transformer - Other than the IPS screen any benefit you guys see other than the keyboard? Don't care about the keyboard.

KiwiNessie

May 9, 2011
I can answer the question about video from USB or external hard drive because I have managed to get that to work. Formatted a 500 GB portable hard drive as FAT32 and now I can watch my backlog of TV shows and movies on my tablet.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

leach19m

May 18, 2011
Looking at picking this tablet up. Just had a few questions.

Can you play video from external usb storage (Eg. USB Flash or External HD) just like you would from internal storage? Same thing with music.

Also, is there a good streaming app to stream from my media server (Windows 7) to this device? My wife has an iPad and I always use the stream to me app on it, I'd like similar functionality.

A500 vs Transformer - Other than the IPS screen any benefit you guys see other than the keyboard? Don't care about the keyboard.

As far as the streaming goes, it actually comes preloaded with a program from Acer that lets you stream media from another device. I tested it out by streaming music from my Droid x through my a500 over my wifi network

And vs the transformer....I see no real reason to get the Asus, especially with the wait time involved. I've heard good and bad things about the IPS screen, but the viewing angle on the a500 is not an issues. I sat it down on my desk and looked at it from almost level and I could still see everything on the screen, it was just a little washed out on the colors. But which cares? How often do you use your device like that?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AarOOn

May 18, 2011
Very cool. Thanks for the replies!

Yes I agree about the IPS screen, just a nice to have. The USB port on the Iconia is actually a large selling point for me. I've herd there is quite a bit of software that doesn't support it or cant see it but video is my main concern with that.

Which video player do you use to view video from external storage?

Are you speaking of Clear.Fi? Does this require an Acer computer to stream from? Or can this be setup on any PC?

dhornick

May 12, 2011
Well I was between the Acer and the Asus too. I was very put off by the terrible release and lack of knowledge surrounding it. The full size USB was ultimately the selling point for me especially since the 3.1 update will allow for more use of it. Go with Acer.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I use clear fi with WMP and it streams flawlessly. There are a few other apps that are cool, like Gmote and Splashtop (MANY others...)

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

AarOOn

May 18, 2011
Very cool. Glad some vendor software is actually useful.

Anyone know the media player to use to watch video off external storage? (KiwiNessie?)

Looks like the a500 should suite my wants just fine. Thanks for all the replies.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I use Moboplayer and Rockplayer. Both work just fine. Just point them to the ext storage and play.