A500 - What are you using it for?

Jul 30, 2011
Hi...

I just got the A500 a few days back. My work machine is a ThinkPad X201. I am usually working on long and complex Word, Powerpoint and Excel documents. I also have tons of reading materials that are either on Word or PDF files. The A500 has become a handy tool for negotiating the Office and PDF documents. It's much easier to pull out the A500 when on a flight or in a car (I am in both quite regularly - more than what I would want to be, actually!). I am currently debating on whether to buy the full version of Docs2Go or Mobile Office to further extend the utility of the A500. I have also used the A500 to share a presentation with work people - especially when it is a one-on-one meeting (which seems to happen quite often these days with me). The only problem is when I pull out the A500, I spend the first few minutes watching my interlocutors gaping at the tablet and asking to fiddle around with it. I am wary of such requests because generally I hate people handling my devices.

I don't watch too many movies on the A500 - for that I use my laptop connected to a large external monitor.

At night - as someone mentioned above, I am always fooling around Angry Birds, Chess and Go.

The A500 is a damn cool machine, which I think has helped my productivity a lot.

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
I bought the tablet to replace my old Windows XP tablet. Main use is for work. I'm a consulting engineer and prepare PDF's of all the construction documents. The tablet lets me quickly review current status of any project while at a job-site meeting. Typical project might have several hundred 30" x 42" drawings, a thousand pages of specificatons and various shop drawings, Request for Information, Construction Sketches, etc. Am using Repligo PDF reader which allows for bookmarks and renders pretty fast.

Of course, I have the other standard uses - Kindle Reader, watching videos, web surfing, etc.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

I'm also a consulting engineer and have now managed to do a final punch on project using QPDF to mark up the PDF drawings on my tablet with my construction notes. I also used it the next week on a standard "we have issues" site visit. No lost paper. No juggling large format drawings ... just wonderful!

QPDF reader doesn't do bookmarks ... yet. Can you actually put text notes on your PDFs using Repligo? (not freehand, but typed text boxes) It was unclear on the Market write up.

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
I bought my tablet for three main reasons:

1) Basic DSLR photo editing. My children are in travel level sports and I'm the self-appointed photographer and take pictures of many of their games. Wanted to be able to start the weeding and cropping process while my husband drives us home. I accomplish this successfully with PhotoEnhance Pro.

2) Taking notes on drawings at site visits. Same as Natcha above, I'm a consulting engineer and get frustrated with juggling large format drawings on site. I save the CAD drawings as PDF and am able to take my notes as I walk around with a slick looking tablet. I look more professional and generally less frazzled (though that's just appearance ... I'm still just as frazzled!) I accomplish this with QPDF.

3) Games: I'm not going to kid myself ... I wanted Angry Birds and all the other cool games out there!

As a bonus ... I do find myself doing a lot of Internet browsing, facebooking and emailing while in bed watching TV. I've also managed to keep a couple of running Word document lists syncronized using Dropbox (those types of lists that you add to as you think about them ... and forget if you have to wait until you're at a computer).

Hard to imagine life without it now!

Pam
Columbus, Oh

Last edited:

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Can't wait to have mine til end of August this year... I'm planning to use it as a backup for my SONY VAIO Laptop.

ADOBE Photoshop user, Forumer/surfing the web and website editing are most of my part time work even i'm working abroad.

Most of my games are only on my Vaio but planning to put only Angry Birds on my forthcoming iconia A500. :D

Is there any app similar to ADOBE Photoshop you can recommend for me to use?

cheers!

Attachments

• $drg_iconia.jpg
    $drg_iconia.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

Dizmatic

Dec 17, 2010
I'm also a consulting engineer and have now managed to do a final punch on project using QPDF to mark up the PDF drawings on my tablet with my construction notes. I also used it the next week on a standard "we have issues" site visit. No lost paper. No juggling large format drawings ... just wonderful!

QPDF reader doesn't do bookmarks ... yet. Can you actually put text notes on your PDFs using Repligo? (not freehand, but typed text boxes) It was unclear on the Market write up.

With Repligo you can add sticky notes and draw shapes or freehand if you want to underline something or make a side note. It also lets you copy, highlight, search. Good stuff.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Im using mine for papers, surviving boring classes by surfing the web or playing games, reading comics, and watching movies on the go.
This thing can seriously do most anything (wish that Documents to Go was more like the PC version of Microsoft Office though)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

koorpen

Jun 12, 2011
Grown up mans playground.
Playing around with all these thousands of apps and I looooooove new toys :cool: :cool:.

Last edited:

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Can't wait to have mine til end of August this year... I'm planning to use it as a backup for my SONY VAIO Laptop.

ADOBE Photoshop user, Forumer/surfing the web and website editing are most of my part time work even i'm working abroad.

Most of my games are only on my Vaio but planning to put only Angry Birds on my forthcoming iconia A500. :D

Is there any app similar to ADOBE Photoshop you can recommend for me to use?

cheers!

For pictures I use PhotoEnhance Pro ... Adobe Photoshop Express significantly reduced the resolution of the final pictures when I played with it. Now ... they may have changed that in the past month or so ... it generally happens when I finally choose a program that I have to pay for to then have a free version available within a week!

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
With Repligo you can add sticky notes and draw shapes or freehand if you want to underline something or make a side note. It also lets you copy, highlight, search. Good stuff.

Awesome ... I paid $10 for QPDF, and Repligo is cheaper. And I know that text boxes were not explicitly listed as available with Repligo then ... and now it's shown clearly! Seems to be the story of my Android purchases!

QPDF can get a bit slow with large drawings, and bookmarks would be really nice ... I might have to jump and take it for a spin.