A500: when I grow up I want to be an A700...

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Just stumbled across this IOGEAR Sharing Station provides access to USB devices over WiFi. Maybe another option for those who are concerned about having usb access to flash drives and hard drives when being tempted by new tablets without the full port.

WiFi is great but it is not the answer to every thing. Move 4GB over wireless then try it on USB. Now tell me which one you would prefer to use. USB is still the better option in most cases. As for having USB devices plugged into a Network they can be problematic - only one computer can be in control of the USB device at a time. Then included cameras and etc. Sorry I still use USB more than I care to imagine.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't mean to imply the answer to everything is wifi. Speed of transfer depends on several factors. Don't see how "only one computer" accessing something over wifi is any different than "only one computer" being directly plugged into that usb device. Use usb as much as you want, doesn't bother me I am just sharing other options. In the end you are the one being limited by usb constraints if you choose to stick with it despite other options (e.g your limited tablet choices). If you are open to and discover a different way of doing things then all the better :)

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Sharing a USB drive, WD ELEMENTS or SEAGATE equivalent, over a network is useless. I'd rather have a proper ethernet NAS than use USB drive. More than one person can access the NAS. With USB over a network this cannot be done. As soon as one person "connects" to thr USB drive, it is locked out to other users. In addition if I have my personal USB DRIVE why should I stick it on a network so others can get access to the drive - security. I'm sure that Icebike would back me on this issue.

And as one of the others on the forum said - some of us have family networks. Ease of access with security - USB all the way.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sharing a USB drive, WD ELEMENTS or SEAGATE equivalent, over a network is useless. I'd rather have a proper ethernet NAS than use USB drive. More than one person can access the NAS. With USB over a network this cannot be done. As soon as one person "connects" to thr USB drive, it is locked out to other users. In addition if I have my personal USB DRIVE why should I stick it on a network so others can get access to the drive - security. I'm sure that Icebike would back me on this issue.

And as one of the others on the forum said - some of us have family networks. Ease of access with security - USB all the way.

I agree, NAS and other solutions are better. The information wasn't meant to be the ultimate file sharing system ;) Just an alternative for people who find a heavy reliance on usb stick and usb hard drives and think that means they need a full size usb port for access. Take that out of the equation and you don't even need NAS, you can just share the drives of any computer directly.

I don't know why using a personal usb would be any different this device doesn't broadcast over public wifi, it works with your existing home network which if you are concerned with security will be secure. Not sure how that is sharing with anybody except those on your network which is the point. So you have your family sharing with ease of access and security without having to plug and unplug from each device.

So the point is still the same there are many tools out there that allow you to share, sync, move, play and otherwise access your files without a full size sub port. Maybe some people will find these options useful. If you do need to physically attach something there are adapters or simply using the correct cable without an adapter will work in many cases too.

You might be happy with an A700 but you might also be just as happy with an A510 or any other tablet without a full size usb port if you are able to still do the things you want without *needing* a full size usb port :)

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
The A700 is still in prototype release so things can change.

And no I will not upgrade to the A510 because the step up is not worth the cash. I'll still have my A500 even when I decide to buy the A700.

As far as USB fullsize - you and I will just have to agree to disagree. I carry too many cables with me already and I don't need to add an additional adapter cable to that. Just for the record there are 2 different types of MINI USB plugs. The miniUSB in the A500 is one type. So do they supply both types or only the one?

Ambrose1

May 16, 2012
Hello Guys !!!
It is may be lack of a full sized usb port isn't that important to some people, but it was a deal breaker
for me yesterday, and your post helped me make my decision. I was going to sell my A500 to a family member yesterday,
then put in a little more money and buy an A510.
Most tablets don't even include the adapter but make you buy it.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Hello Guys !!!
It is may be lack of a full sized usb port isn't that important to some people, but it was a deal breaker
for me yesterday, and your post helped me make my decision. I was going to sell my A500 to a family member yesterday,
then put in a little more money and buy an A510.
Most tablets don't even include the adapter but make you buy it.
That was my point in the whole discussion. Why upgrade to A510 when you have an A500 or A501? I can see someone wanting to upgrade from an A100 but from A500/501 no way!!!!!!! It is not worth the expense.

Too an A700 yes - it is worth the extra expense. The fact that it was a deal breaker with you and with many others makes my point rather well. Thanks Ambrose1 for registering your support.