A70 - Cracked LCD - Repair or replace?

MikeDilligaf

Dec 1, 2010
Any input? Any advice?

I bought an A70 (16g) from Tiger Direct back in the beginning of December. It was a Christmas present for my 9 year old son. It was the first internet tablet for us and we didn’t even start using it until January after updating to FROYO and adding apps. I landed up borrowing it for a business trip at the end of January and somehow landed up breaking the LCD screen on my trip home. Other than the LCD screen problem, the unit has been well taken care of – LCD protector, hard cover sleeve/case, and has only been used a few times.

I landed up RMA-ing back to Archos. As in other posts I have read, they want: 1) $187.50 to fix it 2) 25% off a new one from their on-line store, or 3) send back to me as-is.

Anyway, what benefit would I have by spending another $37.50 on a new one? I realize I will get another few months of warranty, but have there been any hardware changes that would make it worth while to spend another $37.50? You would think that that is not a lot of money, but this unit is getting to be an expensive investment – and I’m concerned about the LCD screen not having a warranty and have read other posts about questionable resilience (easily or mysteriously LCD breaking).

I would appreciate any advice to help me make a decision.

PS - I read other posts about the possibility of a 'group buy' on replacments LCD screens. I'm kind of leary of that - no guarantees it will work, time, and my ability to get the unit open.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
In My Opinion,it is a wash. No matter what you choose, you will likely think what if I had gotten a ??? or kept it. BTW: You normally won't get the same unit as you sent, but it will be a refurb. So, choose wisely.
If you return it, the only option is to part it out on the 'Bay.

MikeDilligaf

Dec 1, 2010
In My Opinion,it is a wash. No matter what you choose, you will likely think what if I had gotten a ??? or kept it. BTW: You normally won't get the same unit as you sent, but it will be a refurb. So, choose wisely.
If you return it, the only option is to part it out on the 'Bay.

Thanks, gurgle