A700 Arriving tomorrow

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Just got a notice that my A700 will be arriving tomorrow.

It was shipped on the 20th, and the tracking inco it shows it should be delivered tomorrow.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Excellent. I hear great things about it.

Keep us posted on how awesome it is.

I moved this to the A700 forum so other prospective A700 buyers can find it.

Harhumph

Jun 22, 2012
1st post! I have been lurking on here for 1 year. I have an Acer Iconia A500 that I bought about a month after release, around late May 2011. I am an extreme user who probably has the screen on over 10 hours a day on that thing, playing music, internet, movies, games... I have it rooted and overclocked and I love the thing, the battery life sucks and the screen could be nicer (especially compared to my Galaxy S and Galaxy SII screens). Anyways, I have heard some not so good things about this A700 so I will wait a month after release before I think about buying it. I already have a 64gb microsd card ready to go and a external battery pack with 10,000 mah for more juice too.

When you guys get this bad boy I would really like to know:

Does the screen have the grid effect like the A500?
Is the screen brightness been improved at 100% brightness, the A500 is fine inside but not outside.
Does the tablet lag because of the hi res screen?
And the biggie for me to upgrade to this is: does it really get 10 hours battery life?
Another biggie: can it play 720p and 1080p mkv files properly? The A500 fails on this at all levels.
I also do not want it until it can be rooted and overclocked as well.
In fact, I may even look at the Google Nexus tablet as my next choice, the only thing that sucks about it is the 7" screen, but it still has yet to be unveiled.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Welcome Harhumph. What took so long! Great first post. Will be interesting to see what the first recipients have to say.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I'm saaaad. :( My tablet is in the nether-regions of the parcel station where it's not quite out for delivery, but it's so far gone they won't let me come in and pick it up. Turns out FedEx dropped it off with USPS...I've never heard of that before, but apparently that happened in my case. Well, at least I get all my accessories today and when my tablet does come home it'll have a nice little hidey hole full of goodies.

EDIT: Strike that, it arrived just now. USPS didn't update the tracking number when it went out with my other packages. Got everything today! WOO!

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I'm saaaad. :( My tablet is in the nether-regions of the parcel station where it's not quite out for delivery,

You're SAD???

I'm kicking myself. :mad:

I turn on the drill press in the garage for like two minutes and miss the door bell !!!!

FedEX sticker on the door! They will try again Monday, or I can drive 40 miles tomorrow
and pick it up.

Last time I work on a "Honey-Do" on delivery day.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You're SAD???

I'm kicking myself. :mad:

I turn on the drill press in the garage for like two minutes and miss the door bell !!!!

FedEX sticker on the door! They will try again Monday, or I can drive 40 miles tomorrow
and pick it up.

Last time I work on a "Honey-Do" on delivery day.

Ouch, this one hurts. This is why divorce is so common ;)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Went to FedEx office, and picked it up. Couldn't wait till monday.
Playing now.

chuehr

Jun 23, 2012
When you guys get this bad boy I would really like to know:

Does the screen have the grid effect like the A500?
Is the screen brightness been improved at 100% brightness, the A500 is fine inside but not outside.
Does the tablet lag because of the hi res screen?
And the biggie for me to upgrade to this is: does it really get 10 hours battery life?
Another biggie: can it play 720p and 1080p mkv files properly? The A500 fails on this at all levels.
I also do not want it until it can be rooted and overclocked as well.
In fact, I may even look at the Google Nexus tablet as my next choice, the only thing that sucks about it is the 7" screen, but it still has yet to be unveiled.

i see no grid, the display is very clear.

yes, it lags - imho not crucial for most stuff.

battery life: depends. i do browsing, mostly. i have recharged the tablet only 3 times now. it feels as if about 8h might be realistic.

mvv files: did not check, yet

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I think t build quality is way better than the 500, no more edge seams, no more creaking when you squeeze the corners.

I've disabled some of the bloatware, and added a few key apps, and played with it for about 5 hours and the battery was only down 15 percent.

I had a couple of apps hang up and and had to force close them, but they were not Acer apps.

It comes with a 3D car racing app, which requires a huge download in order to use it. I downloaded it, then decided the game was childish and used settings to erase all data and disabled the game. However I still had to hunt down that big download and delete it manually.

The game played very well, with very smooth graphics, it was just a dumb game in my opinion.

Microphone and front facing camera are vastly improved, Google Talk works well. Will try Skype today. Small speakers actually sound ok.

Rear camera is about the same as on the A500, not that great in low light.

Slight screen lag while scrolling left and right on the home screens or scrolling a webpage.

I had apps that played just about every media type on my A500, and I expect I might have to add them again, but haven't yet tried any movies. High quality YouTube is perfect.

Going to be adding CsipSimple and checking out Voip calls today as well as Skype.

Gone is the full size USB port, but the did include a micro to full size converter.

The power cord also uses the same usb port, but the tablet won't charge from any standard usb charge source, so you need to remember to bring the charger with you. Charger cord is longer, but still not real long.

Sent from my HOX

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
The power cord also uses the same usb port, but the tablet won't charge from any standard usb charge source, so you need to remember to bring the charger with you.

To me that is just dumb and confusing, a bad design element.

So what you you guys doing with your a500?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The power cord also uses the same usb port, but the tablet won't charge from any standard usb charge source, so you need to remember to bring the charger with you.
To me that is just dumb and confusing, a bad design element.

Dumb and confusing? Perhaps, but the other option is to take 36 hours to charge from a standard USB port. Heck, even the iPad will not charge properly from a standard USB port. In order to get these 6-12 hour battery lives and still have them charge in a reasonable amount of time the OEM's are using non standard voltages and currents from the standard USB (which is 5 VDC and 0.5 Amps). I know the Asus tablets use 15 VDC and 1.2 Amps and it will recharge in about 2.5-3 hours for any of the current tablets.

So what you you guys doing with your a500?

Do remember that per our guidelines of conduct, selling of goods and services is not permitted on this forum. We have a sister forum (Android.net) with a classified section.