A700 software update

Batchman

May 14, 2011
Users on a forum here in Germany (www.android-hilfe.de) are reporting getting emails from Acer support (in response to complaints about the sluggish performance and heat) saying that a software update addressing these problems should be coming out around the end of this month. No idea if it's just for Germany, but logically it would be world wide, though of course the schedule could be different for each area. In the past, Germany has often been the last to get updates, but since Acer tablets are currently top selling here, we might be getting them earlier now. I don't have an A700 (I have an A500), but it's one that I'm keeping an eye on.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
That's good to hear Batchman. The end of the month is not that far away.

Sluggishness can be fixed largely by three steps:
  1. shut off the Ring in settings. (This is NOT the lock screen ring)
  2. set Font size Normal under Settings / Display
  3. turned off Large text under Settings / Accessibility.

Do the above and you will be amazed at the improvement. (I B1Tched to Acer about these points).

Still, the problems that bug me most is Missed Taps. You tap and nothing happens. Even with screen sensitivity set on high.

I also think many apps jump back into the 5th low-power core way too soon. Some games that are not specifically designed
for Tegra 3, end up running in the low power core all the time. (Like Phase 10 for example). Running in the 5th core means you are
locked down to 500mhz insteat of 1.3Ghz. The tablet switches too aggressively to the 5th core for power saving.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I'm amazed at how small your update is Gilles.

My tablet, purchased direct from Acer in the US is getting a 332.01 Megabyte update. That's almost seems like a total replacement.

I've posted the version numbers in the other thread that you started.

Edit: Maybe you should check to see if there is another update pending? On several occasions in the past Acer has pushed a small update just to prepare some tablets for a larger one that followed later.

Last edited:

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
I'm amazed at how small your update is Gilles.

My tablet, purchased direct from Acer in the US is getting a 332.01 Megabyte update. That's almost seems like a total replacement.

I've posted the version numbers in the other thread that you started.

Edit: Maybe you should check to see if there is another update pending? On several occasions in the past Acer has pushed a small update just to prepare some tablets for a larger one that followed later.

Hi
So far no new update... I'll check again in a few days... :)

Gilles

prasbala

Jul 24, 2012
ggravier said:
Hi
So far no new update... I'll check again in a few days... :)

Gilles

Got an update yesterday, the performance has seemed to have improved a bit. The jittery screen has reduced, applications load faster. The update was only around 3-4mb

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Everyone else seems to be getting 330+megabyte files.

How come you get only 3 to 4mb?

Sent from my HOX

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
My observations -

Screen jitter is reduced, but not gone. (I thought it was gone completely, but it is still there)
Screen rotation works perfectly, now.
WiFi is substantially quicker (others never had a problem, but mine was horrible before).
Touch response is much improved.
GPS seems worse than before.
Hardware decoding of large 1080p files streaming is improved.
Netflix works much better.
More old versions of bloatware installed.

The one thing that kills me is there are LOTS of random crashes (not force closes), even before I removed said bloatware. I now encounter two or three random crashes (requiring reboot, or system auto-rebooting) each day during moderate use. Usually when working with the camera or GPS from within other apps (that were fine before). Some of my apps are no longer working at all, and I do get a ton of FCs. My office suite refuses to work anymore, and it was just fine pre-OTA. All of this was noted BEFORE I unlocked the bootloader and rooted again. Now that I've removed most of the bloatware again, it isn't as bad.

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
Hi!

@ExtremeRyno : So what version of firmware do you now have? :) I have the same random crashes (machine running out of RAM, methinks).

Gilles

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
OK. I'm at RV07RC06 as well, but 1.028.00 ... but european version... So similar. Waiting for 4.1 if / whenever it comes! :)

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
Just got a new update today (about 33MB) am now at RV23RC04_EMEA_FR and 1.060.00_EMEA_FR and it seems on first reboot that UI lag has completely disappeared! Woot!

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
I ahven't had those issues but my device was updated.

Anyone have quarks about how tight the usb connector is. I recieved a unit from Acer to test (it's a mobile version) and I am assuming it is the same basic body. But my god plugging in a device is liek trying to force a bowling ball through a sink drain.