A81E not playing videos

spidermite

Nov 20, 2010
Just got my A81E the other day. The specs for this tablet says that it supports "AVI, MPEG4, MPEG2, WMV, H.264 etc." I have tried to play several AVI's and it always says that it does not support this file type. Do I need to down load a 3rd party video player?

greenfrog

Aug 11, 2010
Just got my A81E the other day. The specs for this tablet says that it supports "AVI, MPEG4, MPEG2, WMV, H.264 etc." I have tried to play several AVI's and it always says that it does not support this file type. Do I need to down load a 3rd party video player?

Yes, YXPLAYER seems to be the best on this tablet.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You need to do what Greenfrog suggested or use a Transcoder like Mediacoder or Handbrake. Very few devices play all codecs. Even PCs. Until there is something like a VLC player for Android, you need to transcode or use a different player. I like Rockx

spidermite

Nov 20, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys. I can not find Rockx and XYPlayer is pay. It sounds like I need to down load a few and try them out. Is there a down side to downloading, installing then erasing a bunch of software? Will each program leave a little trash on my machine like in windows?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The artifacts left if the program does not work and you then uninstall will not impact space or configuration on your tablet. What is the error or problem with these players. I have not used xyplayer. But am using Rockx without issue. But I will say I also Transcode the files for size when putting them on my MicroSD card.

spidermite

Nov 20, 2010
When I try to play a video with APlayer I get the message "Sorry, this video cannot be played". If I use "Video Player", this is the one that came installed on my A81E, it gives me a choice on how to play it "ES Video Player" or "Movies". Both options give me the same "Sorry, this video can not be played" message. I still have not found a copy of RockX.
I do not see an option to update codecs in the players that I am using. Are there codec packs, like CCCP for windows, that I can download?

spidermite

Nov 20, 2010
gurgle, I have down loaded MediaCoder onto my laptup. can you tell me the format that I should use to make the video viewable on my Wits A81E please?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
gurgle, I have down loaded MediaCoder onto my laptup. can you tell me the format that I should use to make the video viewable on my Wits A81E please?

I have been successful with three specific configs.
Using the MP4 container and the IPOD/IPhone specs but changing the resolution size to 800/(720)x480(400) or
XVid with MP3 using the AVI container
H.264 with MP3 using MKV container.
I will state I am also using Rockx for some apps.

What I am really waiting on will be VLC for Android. Then this issue will completely disappear as it is codec compatible generally.

When I use any of those above, I am fine.

spidermite

Nov 20, 2010
Well, that was a big failure. But, I saw that you also suggested in another thread the Meridian video player. Meridian has a great tutorial that tells you to down load Super video converter AND how to set it up!!!!! It worked!!!! I am watching the maltese falcon while I am typing this. This is the software that all noobs need. Software that has a good tutorial with it.