about android 2.3 tablet buying...

jerry_L

Sep 9, 2011
Does anyone here own an Android 2.3 OS Tablet PC,or any experience on tablet pc buying?

I bicycle tour. Normally I use a GPS with maps that has served me well but the screen is very small and it makes planning very difficult.

I was considering buying a tablet PC for both mapping and logging of my trips.

I have read that there is an app for Android tablets and it will cache Google Maps when you reach a hot spot or 3G connection. That way you have the maps when or if you lose a connection.

I probably wouldn't spring for 3G so for sure I would be losing a connection pretty quick once I hit the road.

So, anyone here pls help me to choose a tablet pc. and i have a budget around $200, would be with android 2.3 OS, capacitive screen, and at least a 1Ghz processor, 512RAM (suggestioned by someone).
Any suggestions and recommendations here? and someone just recommend this: Android 2.3 Tablet PC - Apad Android 2.3 - Android 2.3 Tablets
seems a good list of android 2.3 tablet PC. how do you think? thanks a lot!

Clay

May 2, 2011
With the market being what it is it can be overwhelming but you should look into the capability of the tablet to be rooted that way you could tether your device to your android phone through an adhoc connection and therefore never lose connection.

Sent from my M860 using Android Tablet Forum

jerry_L

Sep 9, 2011
With the market being what it is it can be overwhelming but you should look into the capability of the tablet to be rooted that way you could tether your device to your android phone through an adhoc connection and therefore never lose connection.

Sent from my M860 using Android Tablet Forum

thanks very much for your suggest...but i got a new problem here.:( my girlfriend likes this 7" one, here's the specs of the tablet, and followed some pics.

Chipset: Samsung S5PV210(ARM CortexTM-A8/1.2G MHz/512KB L2 Cache)
RAM: 512M DDR2
Storage: 4GB Flash Internal,
External Storage: Removable MicroSD (up to 32GB)
Display: 7" T FT LCD( 800*480) capacitive screen
Touch: 4 Point Touch Screen Control
WiFi: WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n)&2.1bluetooth
G Sensor: G Sensor Internal
Camera: 2.0 MG Pixel
3D Graphic Engine: 3D Games Support (SGX540 OpenGL-ES 1.1 and 2.0 and OpenVG 1.0)
Media: 1080p MPEG-1/2/4/H.263/H.264/WMV9/Divx/Xvid Support
Video Out: HDMI 1.3M
Audio Port: Stereo Speaker/Microphone Internal
3.5mm Hi-Fi Headphones External Port
USB2.0 HOST: Mouse, Keyboard, U Disk,3G Net,RJ45 LAN, USB Support
USB2.0 OTG: Mini USB Port
Battery: 4400 mAh Li-Polymer Battery
Power: 3W, Working 5 Hours
Dimension: 190* 120.6 * 13.4 (L*W*H) mm
Weight: 0.39 kg
So, what's your review on this tablet? Does this worth for the money? thanks for any suggestions.
$a1.jpg$a2.jpg$a3.jpg$a4.jpg

hdmp4

Sep 2, 2011
I bicycle tour.

Sounds like a phone size device suits you better because you can buy a bicycle mount to put your phone there.

Normally I use a GPS with maps that has served me well but the screen is very small and it makes planning very difficult.
You can always buy a phone with 4 or maybe 5 inch screen ;)

I was considering buying a tablet PC for both mapping and logging of my trips.

I have read that there is an app for Android tablets and it will cache Google Maps when you reach a hot spot or 3G connection. That way you have the maps when or if you lose a connection.

I probably wouldn't spring for 3G so for sure I would be losing a connection pretty quick once I hit the road.

Latest Google map app already support offline viewing, it caches its map on sdcard. Try it.

So, anyone here pls help me to choose a tablet pc. and i have a budget around $200, would be with android 2.3 OS, capacitive screen, and at least a 1Ghz processor, 512RAM (suggestioned by someone).
I doubt a $200 tablet will have GPS.
I would suggest you to find a NEC Renesas EMMA Mobile EV2 based tablet because it is dual core, faster than most 1Ghz single core units.
However, I am not sure if you can find one at your price point.

At least I know ours, NEC Renesas EMMA Mobile EV2 based tablet can't be sold at this price.

hdmp4

Sep 2, 2011
thanks very much for your suggest...but i got a new problem here.:( my girlfriend likes this 7" one, here's the specs of the tablet, and followed some pics.

Chipset: Samsung S5PV210(ARM CortexTM-A8/1.2G MHz/512KB L2 Cache)
RAM: 512M DDR2
Storage: 4GB Flash Internal,
External Storage: Removable MicroSD (up to 32GB)
Display: 7" T FT LCD( 800*480) capacitive screen
Touch: 4 Point Touch Screen Control
WiFi: WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n)&2.1bluetooth
G Sensor: G Sensor Internal
Camera: 2.0 MG Pixel
3D Graphic Engine: 3D Games Support (SGX540 OpenGL-ES 1.1 and 2.0 and OpenVG 1.0)
Media: 1080p MPEG-1/2/4/H.263/H.264/WMV9/Divx/Xvid Support
Video Out: HDMI 1.3M
Audio Port: Stereo Speaker/Microphone Internal
3.5mm Hi-Fi Headphones External Port
USB2.0 HOST: Mouse, Keyboard, U Disk,3G Net,RJ45 LAN, USB Support
USB2.0 OTG: Mini USB Port
Battery: 4400 mAh Li-Polymer Battery
Power: 3W, Working 5 Hours
Dimension: 190* 120.6 * 13.4 (L*W*H) mm
Weight: 0.39 kg
So, what's your review on this tablet? Does this worth for the money? thanks for any suggestions.
View attachment 3830View attachment 3831View attachment 3832View attachment 3833

Don't see a GPS there ;)

Clay

May 2, 2011
Whats the name of this tablet?

Sent from my mercury using Android Tablet Forum

jerry_L

Sep 9, 2011
I doubt a $200 tablet will have GPS.
I would suggest you to find a NEC Renesas EMMA Mobile EV2 based tablet because it is dual core, faster than most 1Ghz single core units.
However, I am not sure if you can find one at your price point.

At least I know ours, NEC Renesas EMMA Mobile EV2 based tablet can't be sold at this price.

wow....thanks for your kind reply, and, actually, i can buy a tablet with GPS for around $200. lol...
you know what? i have saw this tablet for a while: 7 Inch High Resolution 1024*600 Capacitive Screen Android 2.3 Tablet PC with TI ARM CORTEX A8 Processor Built in Bluetooth - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
7" with android 2.3 and built-in GPS(for option), my lucky! the original price of the tablet is $222, but now they offer a special weekly deal for $188, and the customer service told me i can take the GPS one for $203. lol....
how do you think? ;):D:D...

hdmp4

Sep 2, 2011
wow....thanks for your kind reply, and, actually, i can buy a tablet with GPS for around $200. lol...
you know what? i have saw this tablet for a while: 7 Inch High Resolution 1024*600 Capacitive Screen Android 2.3 Tablet PC with TI ARM CORTEX A8 Processor Built in Bluetooth - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
7" with android 2.3 and built-in GPS(for option), my lucky! the original price of the tablet is $222, but now they offer a special weekly deal for $188, and the customer service told me i can take the GPS one for $203. lol....
how do you think? ;):D:D...

Price sounds about right.... adding GPS module itself typically cost around US$10
Any idea that the GPS does work? because I know the Gen-E tablet we are selling is supposed to have working GPS but somehow the factory screw up the GPS antenna. This means that GPS chip is inside but it does not work because it can't get the GPS signal....sigh..

Your original post says that you need 3G, the tablet in the link you sent does NOT have 3G. That's why I said it is not possible to have a tablet 3G and GPS for under US$200 retail.
The tablet you posted required you to use USB 3G dongle which is likely to cause problems as the USB 3G dongle you use may have have driver in the tablet's ROM.
(I have seen other threads in androidtablets.net that discuss such issues related to USB 3G dongle problems on Android tablets..)

Btw, the chip used in that tablet only supports 720p video. Most A8 chip based devices support 1080p video, maybe that's why this is cheaper..... Read the info on this chip using following link
http://focus.ti.com/dsp/docs/dspcon...CMP=OTC-hpa_med_enews4q&HQS=Other+NL+dm37x-nl

Last edited: