About to buy a nook color, comments?

Jornek

May 24, 2011
So I've done some research and I think I like the nook color. I am new to this tablet scene and was hoping to get some input from you guys.

Any nook owners have any comments to make? Regret buying a NC when there was something better out there for a little more. Love the thing and wouldn't want any other?

I would appreciate any info given as I am prone to buyer's remorse so I like to make an informed decision.

Thanks.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Wellcome to the forum! If you tell us what you are looking for in a tablet, we can help you better. And anyway,you can try it and return it,even though I'm sure you are going to keep it once you ' ll trry it.
Ggk

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
By the Acer and install the nook application from the market.
Best of both worlds.

Note, I have an e-ink nook, and I much prefer reading on it for extended periods of time rather than the Acer. But in the dark the Acer wins.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
So I've done some research and I think I like the nook color. I am new to this tablet scene and was hoping to get some input from you guys.

Any nook owners have any comments to make? Regret buying a NC when there was something better out there for a little more. Love the thing and wouldn't want any other?

I would appreciate any info given as I am prone to buyer's remorse so I like to make an informed decision.

Thanks.

First, what do you want to use it for? And secondly, remember that there will always be something better.

I have no regrets and I absolutely love my NC! I am not from the US and I went through pains to have it shipped to where I am. This is my first dive into the tablet world and as well as android so it made sense to get what I've read to be a really good
value device for its price. Remember, a Nook Color is an ereader, BUT, you get more than what you pay for. ;)

A few things:
1. Solid build, amazing screen (It really feels solid in hand, it is slim and the weight allows me to hold it for long periods. the screen is just amazing, tons of viewing angles without issues)
2. Ability to play and learn Android/custom ROMs, developer/community support, unbrickable (I wasn't looking for a device I could just use out of the box. If I did, I would've went with the galaxy tab or ipad maybe. I wanted something I could fiddle with and not worry about wrecking)
3. Specs (it compares well with some of the current tablets and I don't need phone functions or a camera - that is what I have a handphone/digital camera for)
4. It's an ereader
5. Flash support
6. Price (This could actually be #1)

So, what do I actually use it for?

1. Reading (Aside from my Nook Books, I slapped on some technical manuals (pdf and html) I need. So instead of lugging around a laptop, I can just bring this along if I need to refer to technical documentation while on the move.)
2. Email
3. Web Browsing (Flash! I mainly watch sports channels)
4. Videos (my 7 month old son just loves watching his baby einstein collection on the NC)
5. Games (my 5 year old just told me: "dad, this is now an ipad" after I loaded angrybirds, ninjump and other games)
I tether to my iphone for internet when I'm travelling on my daily train commute to work.

I am running CM7 via a 4 GB Sandisk Class 4 microSD but kept the stock 1.2. I also just got an 8GB Transcend Class 6 microSD to play with other ROMs. Obviously, I'm hooked and learning each day thanks to the people here and XDA forums.

Of course, others will be better, maybe cheaper eventually. But I've made the right choice going for the NC... it does what I need, unbeatable price, and excellent build quality. But you have to decide what you really want/need it for.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I've owned mine for five months (mine is running the CM7 custom rom), and continue to be impressed by it. I have an iPad, too, and the NC seems faster to me. And with new video options (Netflix) and nicely tweaked flash, it's a great media device. All in all, it's still the best android tablet for the price, IMO.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Is it worth noting - that there is a new Partition setup - that Nook Color has come out with recently. The quick autonooter - and rooting method that I've watched for several months - is no longer available from what I've read on XDA. You can reformat the drive - but it's a bit more technical than the old partition that wiped and formatted the entire EMMC when you installed a new ROM.

My understanding is if it has the Blue sticker = you've got the new partition.

[HOW-TO] Repartitioning the NC back to 1GB/data, 5GB/media - xda-developers

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Is it worth noting - that there is a new Partition setup - that Nook Color has come out with recently. The quick autonooter - and rooting method that I've watched for several months - is no longer available from what I've read on XDA. You can reformat the drive - but it's a bit more technical than the old partition that wiped and formatted the entire EMMC when you installed a new ROM.

My understanding is if it has the Blue sticker = you've got the new partition.

[HOW-TO] Repartitioning the NC back to 1GB/data, 5GB/media - xda-developers

If running a custom rom via SD is good enough, then this shouldn't be an issue right?

The partitioning problem is an issue because you only have 1GB to use for sideloading.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Jornek,
I'm also prone to buyer's remorse and looked around for several months before deciding on the NOOKcolor. I've had it about a month now and the longer I've had it the more I like it. Fortunately, not one tiny bit of remorse.

Jornek

May 24, 2011
Thanks guys, nice to hear a lot of people happy with their choice.

My primary interests are video playback and battery life. (I travel for work alot and need something to last through the flight, my next flight is to Japan, 14 hours)

Secondary is internet browsing and possibly some games, ninjump is fun, and I'd like that on a bigger screen than my droid.

I have been worried about doing custom roms and rooting on my phone, but this seems like a device I can play with without worry.

Also, I have heard about this new HD partition thing, how much more difficult is that going to make the process. Does anyone know if you can tell from the box before it is open? I'm sure I could probably handle it, just want my first foray into an android tablet as easy as possible.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
My primary interests are video playback and battery life. (I travel for work alot and need something to last through the flight, my next flight is to Japan, 14 hours)

Unless you figure out how to hot wire your tablet to an automobile battery, you're not going to be able to play games for 14 hours. :)
That said, I think the route I took would work nicely for you. ManualNoot per the instructions at ManualNooter 4.5.25 (For Stock 1.2) - xda-developers and you'll be rooted with the Market available. You'll also have a bunch of very useful apps and be able to install any others you'd like w/o sideloading.
Apparently, since it had a blue/green dot on the box, my Nook has the new partitioning, but it hasn't been a problem. My understanding is it's only a problem if you do a lot of sideloading of apps. Right now, I have 52 apps installed and didn't have to sideload any. I've also got a few hundred songs and as many pictures on an SD card and everything works great.
P.S. I've made that trip several times, and it's brutal. Good luck.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
unless you are married to the idea on keepnig the nook apps for magazines and read to you, go with a custom ROM - opens up a lot more capabilities than just rooting it

i use phiremod and have been pretty happy with it

Thanks.

Jornek

May 24, 2011
Ok so I bought a nook color, and this thing seems pretty sweet. I have never rooted anything before but I want to give this a try. Can anyone tell me if a 1 GB micro sd card will be enough to store a bootable backup of the stock rom. I have a 1GB that I've had for a long time and I'd like to make that the bootable recovery one. I also have a 16GB class two.

I have a class 4 4GB and a class 6 16GB on the way, but they won't be here until next week and I'm too excited to wait. Anyone have any tips on what I should do? I know there are guides on how to do this, I'm just refering to can the 1 GB card be my boot/recovry micro sd, or is that too small, should I just use my 16gb class two since that won't be very good?