Access network files

damianjmcgrath

Jan 4, 2012
I have the Samsung 10.1 tablet, and want to be able to access some network files wirelessly.

I'll explain my setup. I have a laptop downstairs with an external hard drive plugged into it. There are films on this hard drive, and the folder is set to Shared.

I can access these films on other laptops/PCs by going to My Computer --> Map Network Drive and selecting the hard drive letter and everything's fine.

However, I'm not sure how to do this on the tablet. Obviously, there's no Map Network Drive option, and I tried using ES File Explorer and it didn't find the shared folders.

Is there anything anyone recommends?

Thanks.

damianjmcgrath

Jan 4, 2012
Update:

Managed to get ES File Explorer to find the files using the LAN option. All is good. However, when I try and play them, it doesn't play. I just get a black screen and after 2-3 minutes, I get a ES File Explorer crash message.

I then tried moving the file to the Movies folder on the SD card (using ES), and it seemed to start the move, and a file appeared in Movies, increasing in size every 30 seconds, so it seemed it was copying across. When it looked like it had finished copying (there was no confirmation message but the file size seemed big enough), I played it, and it seemed to play fine, except I couldn't fast forward and there were no subtitles.

After 5 minutes of watching, I got a "file cannot be moved" error message, and the video player closed. The file was also gone from Movies. The file was roughly 1.2 Gb but I have 12 Gb free.

Anyone got any better suggestions on what to do?

Last edited: