Accessing remaining storage space on bootable SD Card

NookNewbie

Apr 15, 2011
Hello all,

I'm booting into Froyo from the SD Card. Is there a way to also access the remaining space on that card while still booting from it?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Depends on the image you used to make the card. If you used one that matches the avaialble space on your card you should be able to access the space through a file explorer app, card reader, or wirelessly via samba to move files around.

If you didn't use an image matching the size of your card you can use a partion program on your PC to resize the card and get the extra space back.

JP

NookNewbie

Apr 15, 2011
Used Acronis Disk Director to create a separate volume. Should I have made the boot volume larger? This is all new to me.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, I believe when running from a bootable OS it will only see its's own partition. Creating a new partition is good if you wanted to insert the card after an internal boot and wanted to use that space for data or back ups or whatever.

Aug 8, 2011
Is it possible to adjust the partition AFTER the root? I don't want to have to go through all this again. I've re-rooted twice on this nook. I have an 8gb card, and the total boot partition is like 888MB.

If I use Acronis, can I adjust the partition without corrupting the "boot" portion?

I need a reply ASAP because this is a birthday present I have to give to her tomorrow. Having a rooted nook is cool, but 105MB left in expandable space is pretty lame.

Thanks!

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I believe that if you plug your Nook into your computer the extra space will show up and you can drag and drop to it. It won't show if you try to access it from the Nook itself though.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Is it possible to adjust the partition AFTER the root? I don't want to have to go through all this again. I've re-rooted twice on this nook. I have an 8gb card, and the total boot partition is like 888MB.

If I use Acronis, can I adjust the partition without corrupting the "boot" portion?

I need a reply ASAP because this is a birthday present I have to give to her tomorrow. Having a rooted nook is cool, but 105MB left in expandable space is pretty lame.

Thanks!

You can adjust the boot partition but you actually lose useable memory card space available in CM7 by doing this. Several partitions are created on a bootable SD and take up a fixed amount of space. Any remaining space on the card is free space seen as a mSD card by the bootable CM7 on the card. To access the remaining space you can use Samba or use the bootable card to boot into CM7 and then connect to the PC with a usb cable.

This "virtual" mSD card is where you can keep apps, books, movies and any other files you can think of.

The space is not lost and it 100% useable by CM7 once you boot into it. The only tirck is accessing it via PC which can be done as indicated above.