Acer a100 on the way! Any advice for a new user?

FuseUnison

Nov 30, 2011
High all,

Due to all of the great sales that have been going on for the Christmas season, I decided to take advantage and finally get a tablet. Nothing serious, just always wanted one to play around on, and I decided to go with Android because of it's being open-source. =)

I was originally going to get a cheap $200 Vizio, but after playing with an Acer today I decided to go with an a100. Smaller screen size, but better specs, Honeycomb instead of Gingerbread, and almost as cheap.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations/Tips/advice for a new a100 user(apps, accessories, etc.)?

Thanks!

- Jacob

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
My wife has one and loves it. There appear to be some apps that do not work with Honeycomb. If you plan to use it for reading, it is great for that. Camera is 5mp which is better then a lot of tablets. Keep an eye on the Amazon Free Paid App othe the day. There is a thread here for ir. What type of apps are you looking for? Enjoy!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

FuseUnison

Nov 30, 2011
I'm looking forward to mainly watching movies and music, and using the tablet as a creative outlet. I have a limited understanding of Java from using it to program the minicomputer in my robotics kit, so I think I'm gonna take a look at making my own apps. Also, I'd be interested in having fun making custom themes(wallpapers, icon sets, etc.). I was told I should look into getting a launcher app for that and was recommended to look at "Launcher Pro". Is this a good app? I've heard that there may be some glitches in it here and there, and that it hasn't been updated in a long time by it's developer.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by there's a thread here for "ir"? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm a complete noob when it comes to Android. I think just getting to know a new OS was also a major pull for me to go Android.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I'm looking forward to mainly watching movies and music, and using the tablet as a creative outlet. I have a limited understanding of Java from using it to program the minicomputer in my robotics kit, so I think I'm gonna take a look at making my own apps. Also, I'd be interested in having fun making custom themes(wallpapers, icon sets, etc.). I was told I should look into getting a launcher app for that and was recommended to look at "Launcher Pro". Is this a good app? I've heard that there may be some glitches in it here and there, and that it hasn't been updated in a long time by it's developer.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by there's a thread here for "ir"? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm a complete noob when it comes to Android. I think just getting to know a new OS was also a major pull for me to go Android.

Ir is a mistype I did not notice. :) There is a thread for a free paid app of the day. I do not know how to post a link for it from the tablet, though. I have not tried any of the pay services like Netflix for movies, but if you want to watch downloaded videos you might have to convert it first on your pc to a format your tablet accepts. For DVDs you will probably need a dvd ripper. There are some movie apps like Crackle you can try too. Do not forget the Andoid Tablets app for this board!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum