Acer A100 Wifi problems anyone?

Discussion in 'Acer Iconia A100' started by desolateplanet, Aug 18, 2011.

1. desolateplanet

desolateplanet Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    xoom and a100
    The first A100 i purchased would not maintain a Wifi connection. I have a belkin N router. If I was more than 15 feet away from my router it would say poor connection. My xoom in the same spot would show good connection. Sitting next to my router I watched the connection go from good to "no internet connection" then back to good multiple times. I called acer and spoke to an foreign individual who told me "wifi only works for about 15 feet."

I then returned the tablet and now have my second one. This one shows good connection where it should but cuts out the same as the other one.

Before you blame the router, I have never had problems with the following devices...ipad, samsung tab 7, ipad 2, xoom, htc evo, multiple iphones, nook color, laptops, and even a desktop with usb N adapter.

Anyone else having this issue?
  2. Mike02z

Mike02z Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500
    No issues at all here with my Cisco E3000 router. I would say take it to a hotspot or friends house and see if it maintains it's connection. If it does it's some incompatibility with your router or an issue with your router. If you still have the issue at a hotspot you might want to exchange it.
  3. desolateplanet

Tablet / Device:
    xoom and a100
    Tried it at work with a different router and results are the same. I have also noticed apps missing from the market! Words with Friends is nowhere to be found. Words with Friends shows up on my xoom. The scrabble app only fills the upper left portion of the a100 and wierd circles start apearing on the edge of the app.
  4. alphawave7

alphawave7 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color
    Apps issue is typical for brand new hardware and OS. Are you actually losing connection?

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk
  5. Skipuppy

Skipuppy Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer A500;Acer A100
    I have the Acer A100 and it is not experiencing any wifi problems. Connecting to either Airport Extreme or to an Airlink router it performs the same as other devices. I can connect from about 40 feet away through a couple of walls. it sounds like you A100 may have a problem - the second one could be from the same batch as the first one. Follow Mike02z's advice and you should be able to figure it out. good luck!
  6. desolateplanet

Tablet / Device:
    xoom and a100
    Purchased new router Netgear N 300 and have not had connection issues. Guess the belkin and a100 didn't like each other! New problem Amazon kindle app force closes everytime i try to open a book!
  7. alphawave7

alphawave7 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color
    Ha! You're managing to 'find' all the known issues...do you beta-test much!?! :D
  8. jlroesler

jlroesler Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A100
    I'm having the same issue with wifi, it keeps cutting out. I do also have a Belkin N Router. I'll try it at my son's house and see if it has any problems with his Linksys. I wonder if there is a setting I can change on the router to make it work?
  9. Spider

Spider Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted/Flashed Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
    Some people have changed from WPA/WPA2 to WEP and claimed it worked. Worth a try?
  10. beastman

beastman Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    gtab
    I had a coworkers tablet and wifi wasn't working. I saw a switch and tried moving it. That fixed it.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum
  11. kqboat

kqboat Junior Member

I've got an A100 and have been able to successfully connect to a Linksys E2000 running DD-WRT and another on stock firmware. No problems with connectivity
  12. bladerunn3r

bladerunn3r Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia a100
    I don't think mine has any problems - however, on my home wifi my tab says its only getting a 50 percent signal ...which makes me a little suspicious ........mmmmm

Sent from my A100 using Android Tablet Forum
  13. bladerunn3r

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia a100
    @Desolateplanet - You whine like a little girl. Just return it if you hate everything about it. Or if you can't return it, then throw it away, and stop wasting your time on internet forums. Good luck, I hope you can move on with your life.
  14. desolateplanet

Tablet / Device:
    xoom and a100
    @bladerunn3r..I hope you are not as dumb as your photo suggests. Considering you misspelled your own city "Fort Wort", i believe you are. For anyone interested in this product, DO NOT BUY! Or you will end up taking Bladerunn3r's advice and just throwing it away.
  15. Jv90

Jv90 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Sylvania Mini Tablet Express
    well IM certainly looking to buy one Acer a100 tab, you guys mean that it has some trouble regarding wifi connection?

Sent from my Sytabex7 Tablet using android forum
  16. bladerunn3r

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia a100
    @desolateplanet - why do you hope I'm not dumb? Do you have some kind of investment in my intellect?

And why do you care where I live? I'm at your mom's house right now if you're curious.

And what does your photo "suggest" about you? That you are ashamed of your face?

Haha I'm joking.... but you are really reading to much into my post. I apologize for being rude. Your complaints and grievances are warranted I'm sure, but just tone down the "I wish I wouldn't have got this," or "I wish I would have waited," or "I wish I was never born" - because it sounds less like advice and more like trolling.

Good day sir.

Sent from my A100 using Android Tablet Forum
  17. junollie

junollie Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A100 Tablet
    I just purchased my first tablet, an A100 a week ago. The store recommended to have it set up by them for an additional $49, but I thought I would have a go at it first. Same thing, at home where I have a D-Link N router I get confusing signals - "Connected" then goes to "Scanning", then to "Disconnected" then back again to "Connected", cycling forever. I was never able to use it yet at home cause I can't get a connection. At the office I was able to connect and get the internet for a couple of brief times but then the wifi signal would suddenly become weak. I was hoping to use my table mostly away from home so I expect it to be able to connect regardless of what router is being used out there. From what I've seen in this forum I should return my unit for exchange or have eventually pay the $49 set up cost? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
  18. jgumphress

jgumphress Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nexus 7 2nd Gen. and Samsung Galaxy S4
    My WiFi works perfectly with a strong signal on a 2Wire AT&T router and at my work with a Netgear router. Are you using an app killer app? If so delete it and see if it helps. Either way, there is no need for an app killer apps in Android. Android does not process like Windows, Apple, or any thing else for that matter. But they do interfere with a lot of other apps.
  19. mevensen

mevensen Junior Member

I have no idea what they would even do to "set up" your tablet for $49, but I'm pretty sure whatever they do wouldn't help with your WiFi connectivity -- since they won't be touching those settings unless you bring them to your house and give them your WiFi password.

I'm not sure with the A100's and 3.2, but the A500's had similar problems, some of which were software based, when the tablet would not remember the password, for some reason. One work around for this was using a secondary WiFi configuration utility (app available in market) to set the password.
  20. jgumphress

jgumphress Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nexus 7 2nd Gen. and Samsung Galaxy S4
    $49 set up? That sounds like Best Buy. They tried to get me to pay $150 to set up a new laptop one time. I declined. But with an Android tablet? What is there to set up? It starts up and walks you through everything you need to do.

As far as the WiFi problem, sounds like a defect. Mine not only connects in a snap at home and at work but also works at Starbucks and McDonalds. In fact when I first got it and logged on to my Google account my set-up passwords from my Droid automatically transfered in from Google and I never had to put in my password. Because I have been using these routers with my Droid phone. I thought that was really smart of Google. Very pleased with my new Acer A100. Might even get the A500 too.