acer A500 8GB from bestbuy Backordered

yossiba

Nov 28, 2011
hey guys,

i don't know if this is the right place for this but maybe someone here might help.
i ordered this unit from bestbuy a week ago during their sale...
and a few days ago i got a mail saying it's backordered and no one knows when will it be is stock...
besides it being a pain in the ass... i have a bigger issue...
i'm currently in the us until the 25'th, do you guys think that i will get it by then?

thanks!

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I ordered three of them on Sunday the 27th (the day they started the Cyber Monday sale). The original estimate was that I would pick them up in store today, but they did not ship to store through UPS until yesterday, so they should be in store on Wednesday and I can probably pick up on Thursday. If they don't think they can get it to you by the 25th, have them ship it to you elsewhere. If they can't do international shipping, then see if they will let you change the order for something else without paying the difference between the sales price and full retail (essentially have them honor the discount and apply it against a different model). Or see if the friends you are staying with can pick up the item for you when it does come in and ship it to you outside of the country.

Pay the extra and get the 16gig unit. My best buy has them in stock.

With the 16 GB unit selling for $350 (with the current $50 off), it is still $120 more than what the sale price for the 8 GB unit was.

yossiba

Nov 28, 2011
hi,
yeah it's a big difference between the 8 and 16 GB...
i odrered it at the 27'th at noon.
so i'm guessing i'll get it soon by what you are saying.
when i called bestbuy they told me that they will try to prioritize my order (they probably won't).
thanks.

paladyr

Dec 6, 2011
i heard they will give you the 16gb version for 50 more if you complain. i am typing on the 8gb from bb right now!

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Just picked up the three that I ordered tonight (ship to store). Slight problem as the people at Best Buy couldn't find one of the tablets I ordered (I suspect they either gave mine to someone else who had picked their's up earlier today, or they sold it) but it worked out without me having to make a big stink about it because they gave me someone else's order (the order number on the paper taped to the box did not match my order number), so not my problem anymore.

First impressions is that it is a nice looking tablet. The tablets also came preloaded with Honeycomb 3.2. I'm not particularly fond of the interface customizations that Acer made, but I'm not the one using it. :) One surprise is that the tablets comes with a thin sleeve cover that will also function as a tablet stand. My daughter opted for the silicone cover I had already purchased but my two sons opted for the included cover. The cover is thin, so don't expect much impact protection, but it will suffice to ward off the customary inadvertent scratches.

yossiba

Nov 28, 2011
nice :),
when did you order it? so i'll know my status, i ordered at the 27'th at noon.

thank.

tardis

Dec 2, 2011
I'm using the 8Gb model from BestBuy, had it shipped to my store. With Discover shopping it brought the price down to around $200. I installed just about all the apps I need and still plenty of room, and I may get a larger microSD (using a spare 8GB now) and will be streaming movies/music from SAMBA over wi-fi. If that works out I'll hold off on a 32GB microSD until there's a huge deal :)

Not everyone needs the 16GB a500, and we should get ICS - ability to have programs on SD instead of main flash memory. If you have HUGE games, the 16GB might be a better option.

So far VERY impressed with the tablet. Groove IP (free VOIP) calling works great. Nice way to save minutes from the cell plan.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I'm using the 8Gb model from BestBuy, had it shipped to my store. With Discover shopping it brought the price down to around $200. I installed just about all the apps I need and still plenty of room, and I may get a larger microSD (using a spare 8GB now) and will be streaming movies/music from SAMBA over wi-fi. If that works out I'll hold off on a 32GB microSD until there's a huge deal :)

Not everyone needs the 16GB a500, and we should get ICS - ability to have programs on SD instead of main flash memory. If you have HUGE games, the 16GB might be a better option.

So far VERY impressed with the tablet. Groove IP (free VOIP) calling works great. Nice way to save minutes from the cell plan.

Gameloft games are a huge hog of "disk space". The Lets Golf game that comes preinstalled on the Acer requires an additional download of 50+ MB of content to run. Asphalt 6 (a racing game from Gameloft, which incidentally does not support Honeycomb tablets as yet) requires an additional download of 521 MB of content (which would explain why it doesn't support Honeycomb yet).

BlockMaker

Sep 8, 2011

My local Staples have SanDisk sd cards, micro and full size, on sale this week. I picked up a 32GB class 4 for my A500 (due in tomorrow) for $39.99+tax.

I figure the 8GB should be enough for me since all the apps I currently use fit on my HTC Eris phone's internal memory, but I'm sure as I soon as I get more into using a tablet I'll find a bunch more apps that I can use. The 8GB model is priced right and will make a good first tablet to play around with.

yossiba

Nov 28, 2011
hi guys,
still no news from bestbuy,
if anyone got their 8GB unit on the sale at bestbuy and already received it,
please share when did you oreder (date and time) and when did you get it.

thank!

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I ordered three of them on Sunday, November 27th around 9 am and received them this past Wednesday. Have you gotten the shipment notice from Best Buy yet (email that either has the UPS tracking number or says that it is being sent to the store)? FYI, all three units that I had purchased were shipped from Best Buy's distribution center in Fresno, CA so it took about 5 days to get to the store in NY (they were shipped UPS ground).

notta

Dec 13, 2011
I ordered the Acer tablet from Best Buy at 11:00am on Nov. 27 (ship to store). It was originally supposed to be delivered to store by Dec. 5, but I received an email shortly after I placed my order saying that it would be shipped to store today (Dec. 13). I haven't received any more notifications from Best Buy or any shipping carrier saying that my item was being shipped to store, or has been received by the store. I just called Best Buy's 888 number, and the woman said it is backordered with no time estimate on when it will become available. My next step will be to call the store directly.