Acer a500 and droid

huskers

Nov 7, 2011
Hi everyone, I have a Acer a500 and Droid 1 and its rooted and I am try to get my phones internet to run my tablet and my tablet won't find my phone. Can anyone help, thanks alot

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

HD87

May 14, 2011
Hi everyone, I have a Acer a500 and Droid 1 and its rooted and I am try to get my phones internet to run my tablet and my tablet won't find my phone. Can anyone help, thanks alot

By default, the a500 will not detect an ad-hoc network, to get the a500 to detect it a modification needs to be made, replacing the WPA_Suplicant file in system/bin, to do this you will need to root your tablet. If your on 3.2 & not rooted, you would need to downgrade... I don't believe they have come out with an apk to root 3.2..

texican88

Aug 20, 2011
What are the perks and consequences of downgrading? I have the same problem. I rooted my LG phone hoping to use it to provide wififor my a500. Sadly it was only after I did this that I found that out. Is that the only way? How do you do that? Find it funny my moms Ipad picks it up no problem..

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Downgrading means you back up to 3.0.1 or something, and then you can root.
However, I believe if you search around you will find that 3.2 has been rooted and you can download and flash it.
But you give up all your OTA updates (ICS is rumored to be coming in January).

Unless this is the only possible way you can get this tablet on the net, I wouldn't recommend it just yet.
Wait and see if ICS solves this problem.

HD87

May 14, 2011
Downgrading means you back up to 3.0.1 or something, and then you can root.
However, I believe if you search around you will find that 3.2 has been rooted and you can download and flash it.
But you give up all your OTA updates (ICS is rumored to be coming in January).

Unless this is the only possible way you can get this tablet on the net, I wouldn't recommend it just yet.
Wait and see if ICS solves this problem.
Give up OTA's? Not if you know how to flash'm ;)
There are rumors ICS will fix ad-hoc visibility for devices.

But if you dont want to wait.. here's a link to root 3.2 -> How to root stock 3.2 - xda-developers
From the procedure, it seems easier to flash back to 3.0.1 & root, then flash to 3.2.