acer a500 streams very pixelated espn videos

aneraser

May 6, 2012
hi there. im having trouble playing streamed highlights from espn and nba.com . i have been using the stock browser and stock video player mostly. i ave tried mobo and mx but there is no difference. also i have tried using dolphin browser. i also tried using skyfire browser which was the only thing thst gave me a clear video but took a long time to do it. how can i get a nonpixelated video stream from these sites. the weird part is that youtube app works great. also i tried a random cnn video and that was fine too. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I had a Flash update yesterday. If you didn't update yours yet, that might help. If not, you also might try uninstalling Flash, and reinstalling.

Update: I just tried a clip on ESPN using the default browser and Mobo and it was horrible quality. Then I tried it with Dolphin HD and Mobo and the same clip played great and looked great.

Last edited:

aneraser

May 6, 2012
I had a Flash update yesterday. If you didn't update yours yet, that might help. If not, you also might try uninstalling Flash, and reinstalling.

Update: I just tried a clip on ESPN using the default browser and Mobo and it was horrible quality. Then I tried it with Dolphin HD and Mobo and the same clip played great and looked great.

thanks for your reply.installed mobo again but whenever i tried streaming a video thru a browser its just black and nothing happens. anyideas as to what might be causing this? i also tried installing the codec too but same deal.

also are you using dolphin hd or mini?

thanks once again

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
thanks for your reply.installed mobo again but whenever i tried streaming a video thru a browser its just black and nothing happens. anyideas as to what might be causing this? i also tried installing the codec too but same deal.

also are you using dolphin hd or mini?

thanks once again

I am using Dolphin Browser HD. It works just about perfect for me. I mostly use the default browser when I want to add bookmarks to the bookmark widget.
You didn't say if you updated Flash. If I were you, I would uninstall Flash, reinstall it, install Dolphin Browser HD, then do a pinhole reset and see if that helps.

So, to summarize, I did the Flash update, went to ESPN in Dolphin Browser HD, clicked on the first clip on the page, played it in Moboplayer, and it was a beautiful picture.
But when I tried it in the default browser, I got the same pixelated mess you probably got.

aneraser

May 6, 2012
I am using Dolphin Browser HD. It works just about perfect for me. I mostly use the default browser when I want to add bookmarks to the bookmark widget.
You didn't say if you updated Flash. If I were you, I would uninstall Flash, reinstall it, install Dolphin Browser HD, then do a pinhole reset and see if that helps.

So, to summarize, I did the Flash update, went to ESPN in Dolphin Browser HD, clicked on the first clip on the page, played it in Moboplayer, and it was a beautiful picture.
But when I tried it in the default browser, I got the same pixelated mess you probably got.

hmm i followed those instuctions but mobo player didnt play anything. ive never really used mobo player so i think this may be where im having issues. i can play (very pixelated) the videos on regular video player. but the video doesnt even start when im in mobo. any ideas? i did instsll the codec that they wanted me to in the beginning but no go. thanks once again!

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
OK, kind of related... How do I make the browser play media streams in an external player (like mobo)? Here is my problem... I've purchased something from classondemand.net that I would like to play on my tablet because it is how I want to view it. They claim their videos work on iThing and Android, they also claim that your device will be automatically detected as mobile and give you the mobile site. The main site uses Silverlight which of course doesn't work. You can get to the mobile site manually so that isn't the biggest issue (classondemand.net/online/mobile), but I can not make anything play. I've tried the stock browser, Firefox, Dolphin HD. I've made sure my flash is up to date, rebooted, uninstall flash and reinstall, etc. The stock browser tries to play it, but never completes something and I'm left with a little white window, if I click in the progress bar for the player, I can get audio but never any video.

If you want to try this yourself, you can get a free course on Davinci Resolve here, just fill in the form Getting Started with DaVinci Resolve Lite | FREE TRAINING My last choice is to resort to screen recording the Silverlight version and converting to mp4 files for my tablet, still fooling with this but having some setbacks.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Ok, I just now found out that Mobo player uses swipes. If you swipe the far left of the screen up and down, you change the brightness of the screen. Swipe up for more brightness, down less. If you swipe the far right edge up, your volume goes up, swipe all the way down will mute. I don't know if this will help, but try it and see.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
OK, kind of related... How do I make the browser play media streams in an external player (like mobo)? Here is my problem... I've purchased something from classondemand.net that I would like to play on my tablet because it is how I want to view it. They claim their videos work on iThing and Android, they also claim that your device will be automatically detected as mobile and give you the mobile site. The main site uses Silverlight which of course doesn't work. You can get to the mobile site manually so that isn't the biggest issue (classondemand.net/online/mobile), but I can not make anything play. I've tried the stock browser, Firefox, Dolphin HD. I've made sure my flash is up to date, rebooted, uninstall flash and reinstall, etc. The stock browser tries to play it, but never completes something and I'm left with a little white window, if I click in the progress bar for the player, I can get audio but never any video.

If you want to try this yourself, you can get a free course on Davinci Resolve here, just fill in the form Getting Started with DaVinci Resolve Lite | FREE TRAINING My last choice is to resort to screen recording the Silverlight version and converting to mp4 files for my tablet, still fooling with this but having some setbacks.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you purchased a video from this company that you would like to play, but having trouble getting it to detect in a player? In Mobo player, there is a folder at the bottom of the screen when you load it. Did you try clicking on that and finding the file and clicking on it? If the file is saved to your external sd, click on the mnt folder, then external_sd. If it's saved on usb, click on usb_storage. Hope this helps.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
No file, it is streamed only.

Ok, sorry. I took a closer look at the page in the link. I see what you're saying. Don't mean to be so obvious, but did you try telling them your problem and see if they can give you a solution? There must be others having the same problem you're having. One way you could do it, if you can stream to your laptop or computer, put Splashtop on your computer (free) and the free Splashtop app on your tablet, and what this does is turn your tablet into your computer desktop. When tapped in, you can run anything on your computer or laptop on your tablet with no lag. It's just like having a Windows tablet. I am very impressed with how it works, and the setup is super easy.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I did let them know last week, but no answer. Going to get on their case this week and see what happens. What I really want them to do is have downloadable files for tablets so that I can watch offline.