acer a500 update...3.1 to 3.2, having problems..any help?

detz

Jan 3, 2012
this is my first post, just joined, i'm new to this blog. I'm having a problem d/Ling new sys update to 3.2. I've read some older post from ppl saying about changing tablet sleep time to 30 mins, which i tried, to stop update from saying invalid update when trying to install d/L'ed update. It didnt work. Does anyone know of anything else i could try to get this update to install? Any help would be very appreciated!

detz

Jan 3, 2012
thank you probbiethe1 for replying. I have to admit..i'm a little scared to try and root my tablet. i have only had it for less than a week and this is my first tablet. i checked out your link and read the article, but before i try that, i'd like to know/understand why the upgrade wont install and if there's any other alternatives.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Well my question is why do you want to upgrade in the first place? Because if there isnt anything in the new update that you want then just rock 3.1 and enjoy it. I personally root every device I ever get usually the day I get it and then I never accept over the air updates. Custom roms are usually better then ota updates any ways but thats just how i do things

detz

Jan 3, 2012
I dont know what the update will do/what its for. Everything works fine as is, so as they say.."if its not broken, dont try and fix it!". Could you tell me in what way the custom rom you mentioned is better?

Dr0id

Jul 19, 2011
Hello Detz, I had the same problem upgrading 3.1 to 3.2 OTA, just leave the tablet with the power supply next to the wifi router when the upgrade package is being download.
I recommend you to upgrade it if you want to have the device without mods.. Also when you feel ready to move on, you may go back to 3.1 and apply custom roms. Regards!!

detz

Jan 3, 2012
Dr.DrOid, Thank you for you're reply. One question if you don't mind about you're reply. You stated.." upgrade it if you want to have the device without mods.. ", what do you mean, a device without mods? As I stated earlier, I'm a newbie when it comes to some of this stuff and I'm trying to learn all that I can. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Dr0id

Jul 19, 2011
Sorry, I need to improve my english..

Like you I bought this tablet half an year ago and the first thing I did is to upgrade the OS using OTA (settings/about/upgrade) from version 3.0.1 to 3.1 and finally 3.2. This had several improvements that I noticed specially reading the microSD card information and connecting the TV via HDMI cable.

After a few months of use I decided to unleash the tablet and explore other OS modifications/custom roms that has 3G for USB dongle as native support , visual enhancements, task killers, overclocking, .... , etc..

The problem with 3.2 is that I was not able to root it and had to revert to an previous version following this tutorial
[TUT] Revert OTA 3.2 back to 3.0.1 - xda-developers

This post helped me a lot to understand this process. I currently have latest thor's rom, it's nice .. but I will test another versions
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...6738-thor-a500-rom-v14-2-android-3-2-1-a.html

Custom rom lists
Iconia A500 ROM List - Updated 06 Jan 2012

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Sorry, I need to improve my english..

Like you I bought this tablet half an year ago and the first thing I did is to upgrade the OS using OTA (settings/about/upgrade) from version 3.0.1 to 3.1 and finally 3.2. This had several improvements that I noticed specially reading the microSD card information and connecting the TV via HDMI cable.

After a few months of use I decided to unleash the tablet and explore other OS modifications/custom roms that has 3G for USB dongle as native support , visual enhancements, task killers, overclocking, .... , etc..

The problem with 3.2 is that I was not able to root it and had to revert to an previous version following this tutorial
[TUT] Revert OTA 3.2 back to 3.0.1 - xda-developers

This post helped me a lot to understand this process. I currently have latest thor's rom, it's nice .. but I will test another versions
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...6738-thor-a500-rom-v14-2-android-3-2-1-a.html

Custom rom lists
Iconia A500 ROM List - Updated 06 Jan 2012

This is some great info

detz

Jan 3, 2012
Dr.DrOid...THANK YOU!! I clicked on the link you gave. I read all 7 pages of that thread. Very informative! I now have a much better understanding of: rooting, custom rom's, OTA updating. I didn't know there was so many different custom rom's available. Would there be by chance a list of what exactly the different rom's can do? I've read some overclock, some do this, some do that.....

Thanks again!

BTW...your english is good. :)

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Dr.DrOid...THANK YOU!! I clicked on the link you gave. I read all 7 pages of that thread. Very informative! I now have a much better understanding of: rooting, custom rom's, OTA updating. I didn't know there was so many different custom rom's available. Would there be by chance a list of what exactly the different rom's can do? I've read some overclock, some do this, some do that.....

Thanks again!

BTW...your english is good. :)
Just one thing before you jump into the deep end of the rooting pool. Make sure your tablet is fully charged. Otherwise you may end up like Darvish whose tablet appears to be well and truly BRICKED. His A500 will not charge and he can't set it back to standard - not enough power in battery.

And by the way I'm one of the few who prefer stability on the stock standard version of the tablet.

detz

Jan 3, 2012
Douvie, Thanks for the reply. As of yet, I haven't jumped into the deep end of the rooting pool. (lol) One of the main reasons why I'm thinking about rooting my tablet is so that I can tether it to my cell phone( which btw I also would have to root it<Huawei Ascend m860>).

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Douvie, Thanks for the reply. As of yet, I haven't jumped into the deep end of the rooting pool. (lol) One of the main reasons why I'm thinking about rooting my tablet is so that I can tether it to my cell phone( which btw I also would have to root it<Huawei Ascend m860>).
Detz,

If your phone is an android phone you don't have to root your tablet. I tried tethering my tablet to a friend's phone - it took less than 5 seconds. Hot spot the phone and get the tablet to detect it. Also the new update 3.2 & 3.2.1 allows ad hoc tether.

detz

Jan 3, 2012
Douvie,

My cell carrier is Cricket, the phone is android 2.1. The phone cant do a Hot Spot. As far as the tablet update, I couldnt get the update to install...it just cancelled after d/loading( tried d/l update at least 5 times). Those are the exact reasons for thinking about rooting both devices. I would prefer not to take any risk, rooting either device, but I dont know of any other way to do it.

jbaerbock

Jan 3, 2012
Detz most android phones can do hot spot as long as you find the right app or hack to get it.

Sent from my MID7127 using Android Tablet Forum