Acer Branches Out from Microsoft; Plans to Launch an Affordable Android AIO

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
acer-android-haswell-small-2.jpg

While Acer is obviously no stranger to making Android tablets, for the most part their PC business has been all Microsoft. That is about to change, however. Apparently Acer is branching out and plans to make an Android All-in-One PC. Here's a quote with the details,

The Acer all-in-one (AIO), due to be announced next week, will pack an Intel 3GHz Core i5 4430 "Haswell" processor and run Android.

Acer confirmed the AIO with CNET on Thursday.

Expect this trend to pick up steam as PC vendors announce new systems based on Intel's upcoming Haswell and Bay Trail chips. Intel is already dropping not-so-subtle hints that Android laptops running on the Bay Trail chip are on the way and will be priced between $200 and $300.

Android notebooks? Yep, Intel says, and they'll only cost $200

Acer's new AIO system will go for less than $400 at some resellers, though most listings put it about $425. Some are higher than $425.

As you can see, the intel from Intel suggests they too will get in on the action and start offering PC alternatives using Android instead of Windows. With Microsoft so far behind in the mobile world, can they really afford to start losing ground in the PC world as well?

Source: CNET

Last edited:

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
Intel's new mobile chipsets bode well for MS too. Cheaper W8 tablets are right around the corner. As the prices drop and development continues, I can really see the competition switching from Android v iOS to Android v W8. I really don't see enough innovation coming out of Apple to keep up, but I do think MS is gaining ground and this will only help them.

dddougal

Jun 3, 2013
I think its only a matter of time before MS start to gain ground in the mobile market. They always seem to have a knack of jumping on the bandwagon once a tech has been established and then completely dominating with what is essentially a complete copy of everyone elses best bits....Im not knocking them for it, they are very good at what they do and I will probably buy a W8 device when the price comes down.

RiyoRitsu

May 31, 2013
i wish they make a unique tablet. like to have their own design not from other companies then they will just clone it then give it a new name. but i like it if they will give it more pixel so the camera will be useful