Acer Iconia 501 . Wifi connection problem

Richard45

Aug 22, 2011
My wifi works well but if I switch off my tablet it does not connect automatically when I switch on. I have to go to Settings/Wireless and networks/Wi-Fi and tap it on. Is this normal. If I put it in Standby there is no problem.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
That's not normal for thr 500 but maybe that is normal for the 501.

Do you actually. have a Sim in the slot?
Also, what is your wifi sleep set to?

Also, why would you ever turn it fully off???

vera

Aug 27, 2011
my A501 does the same thing. I hardly ever switch it off, but when i do it shows good connection, but i am unable to get online. i found if i switch it off again then on, it connects straight away with no problems.
Hope this is something that will be fixed with update to 3.2
Vera

Last edited:

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
I have had that happen at times on my A500.
But it's not often so no big deal for me.
It also has happened if I had it in airplane mode and turned airplane mode off.

Richard45

Aug 22, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I've done some more experimenting. Yes I have a sim card (Telstra) and the problem does not occur using mobile broadband. It's only if I switch right off and when I turn on,(at home) my home wifi is on and it tries to connect to that. I have to press Settings and Wi-Fi says 'Connected to ....' but unless I tap it twice and it then says 'turn on wifi,turning on,scanning,obtaing ip address from .....' and then presto it works. Could be a setting in my wireless router maybe. The only reason I turn it off is to conserve battery power. What do you reckon?

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
For an occasional reboot is the only reason that my a500 is ever off. Fingers crossed I have never had any problems!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I've done some more experimenting. Yes I have a sim card (Telstra) and the problem does not occur using mobile broadband. It's only if I switch right off and when I turn on,(at home) my home wifi is on and it tries to connect to that. I have to press Settings and Wi-Fi says 'Connected to ....' but unless I tap it twice and it then says 'turn on wifi,turning on,scanning,obtaing ip address from .....' and then presto it works. Could be a setting in my wireless router maybe. The only reason I turn it off is to conserve battery power. What do you reckon?

I doubt this is a wireless settings problem. The only reports of this seem to came from 501 owners, so it must be something in the software for that model which differs from the 500. Check that wifi sleep/disconnect is set to never, other than that I can't think of any other setting that would affect this.

I suspect the device looks for an internet connection and assumes that if it finds one it does not need to launch the wifi connection software.

I would be tempted to leave it on all the time until the next release to see if this is fixed in 3.2.
The battery usage of a sleeping tablet is really very low as long as you don't have it checking email/facebook every 5 minutes.
I get two days of normal use, (unless Angry Birds gets updated).

These devices are really designed and intended to be on 24/7 and charged daily.