Acer Iconia A500 does a poor job with Skype, etc.

Doublesixes

Dec 6, 2010
and basically all video/chat applications that I tried (Gtalk, Yahoo Messenger while it worked, OOvOO, Tango, etc.)
The microphone is really sub standard and makes video chatting a very frustrating experience.

I have just tried a video chat between the new iPad and a PC with excellent results both in audio and video.

My A500 was successfully upgraded to ICS 4.0.3 and it works very well in all other areas, except for a few minor flaws such as Dolphin browser crashing when going full screen with flash videos. Flash isn't really working 100% on ICS, regardless of browsers but the audio deficiency is a mortal flaw if you consider this tablet as a comprehensive communications device.

I thought that Acer had found a solution for this problem and that it was packaged in the ICS update. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Unfortunately the microphone is the A500's worst feature, and it's a hardware problem. I totally agree with all you said. I don't need or use the mic so it doesn't bother me except for the fact that I paid good money for the tablet and the microphone should work better. After I upgraded to ICS, my microphone is quite a bit better though. Dolphin Browser shouldn't be crashing on you. If you haven't tried a pinhole reset, give that a shot.

Doublesixes

Dec 6, 2010
Frapshake, I think you are right, the mic flaw is hardware related so we're out of luck for the duration, it seems.
I have just tried your suggestion of pinhead reset the tab. Dolphin continues to crash when I maximize the video. It's a shame because Dolphin is my favorite browser. It doesn't crash with ICS Broswer+ and the default, however.
I wish somebody at ACER would hear our voices regarding the microphone issue and suggest a solution or workaround.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Frapshake, I think you are right, the mic flaw is hardware related so we're out of luck for the duration, it seems.
I have just tried your suggestion of pinhead reset the tab. Dolphin continues to crash when I maximize the video. It's a shame because Dolphin is my favorite browser. It doesn't crash with ICS Broswer+ and the default, however.
I wish somebody at ACER would hear our voices regarding the microphone issue and suggest a solution or workaround.

Some people are having more problems with the mic than others. Us A500 owners are out of luck with it, I'm afraid. Hopefully the A700 will have the problem solved.
I use Dolphin Browser HD and when I first upgraded to ICS, I was also having crashes once in a while when I used it, and other minor glitches until I took the advice of a poster named Mrhelper. He has some great insight into the post ICS glitches, and after I followed his advice, my tablet is pretty much perfect and I have not had any crashes at all. I can find the post and give you the link if you want me to. I am using Dolphin Browser HD It is working great for video and everything.

Update: Found the link...maybe this will help with your crashes: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ics-update-not-sure-its-worth.html#post205149

Last edited:

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Seems like there is a market for a small microphone that connects to the tablet (no cord), did a quick google and didn't find anything.

Doublesixes

Dec 6, 2010
I have not tried any Bluetooth device with my A500 so I was wondering if an earpiece set (speaker/mic) could work in applications such as Skype and Gtalk.
Has anybody used audio Bluetooth with this tab?
Thanks in advance

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Not 100% sure but you shouldn't have any problems using wither a wired or bluetooth mic for those apps. For Dolphin you may need to uninstall and reinstall to make sure you have the tablet version for ICS. If that is the version that isn't working you may want remove the newer one and to find the apk for the pre ICS version and side load it. Also try finding the Flash 11 apk and see if that helps.

JP

barskin

Mar 5, 2012
I just checked my voice recorder again when I read this thread, and it actually works pretty well. I don't use Skype, because I don't have any friends (which really saves me money on my phone minutes, I might add), but if the day comes when I do have someone to chat with, I'm ready!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I just checked my voice recorder again when I read this thread, and it actually works pretty well. I don't use Skype, because I don't have any friends (which really saves me money on my phone minutes, I might add), but if the day comes when I do have someone to chat with, I'm ready!
I have found the problem is because the "mic" is to close to the speakers - they're pretty good speakers -turn the sound down a little. Another suggestion is to use ear plugs for speakers and use the "mic" to speak - the results are good.
Barskin, what do you mean you don't any friends - we're all out here. And you don't need skype.

barskin

Mar 5, 2012
I have found the problem is because the "mic" is to close to the speakers - they're pretty good speakers -turn the sound down a little. Another suggestion is to use ear plugs for speakers and use the "mic" to speak - the results are good.
Barskin, what do you mean you don't any friends - we're all out here. And you don't need skype.

Well, okay, maybe I was exaggerating just a tad, but I don't have anybody far enough away that I have to video chat with, but I can do it, if the need ever arises.

Psst. Don't ever take me too seriously.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well, okay, maybe I was exaggerating just a tad, but I don't have anybody far enough away that I have to video chat with, but I can do it, if the need ever arises.

Psst. Don't ever take me too seriously.
I won't. I have to put my glasses on see this whisper.

To see a whisper - that has just spun me right out!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Actually SKYPE is not bad but it can lock you in for hours at a time. We use it here to speak to family but it can be really frustrating - they expect you to be there right on the dot. It is installed on the tablet but I have used it only 5 or 6 times.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
You just have to put your glasses on for a whisper? Lucky. I need mine for a billboard.
Well I suppose one could see a whisper - it is a chocolate bar here. You wouldn't need glasses for that - I'm sure.

valb

Oct 2, 2011
Since getting ICS Skype doesn't start automatically as it did under HC. It is set up to login when Skype starts. I've tried an uninstall and install but that made no difference. Anyone with any suggestions?

Regards
valb