Acer Iconia A500 on 3.2.1 - Wifi problem

paddyr

Jan 19, 2012
Hi...

I had been using my tab for over 4 months without any issues. My wifi has suddenly stopped working (tab gets connected to the wifi but the the icon doesn't turn blue and the network is not up). I had recently updated to 3.2.1 but it was working fine for a few weeks on that too.

I changed my Wifi router security from WEP to WPA and also tried using static IP. I even did a factory reset (apart from the hard and soft resets) and I still have the problem. It is not rooted (and I don't want to do that yet) and since I'm not able to connect to the internet, I can't use any market apps to fix the wifi issue (even if there is one). Appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Kill (forget) ALL wifi hotspot definitions that the tablet knows about.
Especially the one where you tried to enter manual IP.

Make sure that your router's name is unique. (not Linksys or something generic).
Make sure your router is not limited to a specific number of list of mac addresses.
Make sure your router doesn't try to use dual band (2.4mhz and 5mhz). (Acer supports only 2.4mhz)

Then Power cycle the router, and try again.

If you get connected, but can't go anywhere,
launch settings / Applications / Manage Applications / ALL tab / scroll to and select browser,
press force stop, then Clear data and clear cache.
Then try again.

Also, did you install anything when you first noticed it stopped working?
There are some tethering apps that set a proxy that they don't always clear
properly when you uninstall or turn off those appsl

paddyr

Jan 19, 2012
@Icebike. Thanks for the suggestions. Tried all the things you have mentioned but no luck. Still have the same issue (getting connected to my wifi network, it stays stable and the up and down arrows on the wifi icon gets displayed but network is not up and it doesn't turn to blue). I hope it is not a hardware issue!

Dr0id

Jul 19, 2011
take ur tablet for a walk.. if it does work ok using another router then you know where is the issue. else your tablet migth need an reset or theres an hardware issue..

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
@Icebike. Thanks for the suggestions. Tried all the things you have mentioned but no luck. Still have the same issue (getting connected to my wifi network, it stays stable and the up and down arrows on the wifi icon gets displayed but network is not up and it doesn't turn to blue). I hope it is not a hardware issue!

Its almost certainly NOT a hardware issue. This stuff doesn't fail in the way you describe. Nothing would work if it was a hardware failure.

I agree with Dr0id, take your tablet to McDonald's, Starbucks, Public Library, friends house, etc. See if it will connect there.

Now just to be absolutely clear, let me ask once again, did you or anyone else install PDANet for tethering to a smart phone?

(It makes a setting that only it can unset with regard to using a Proxy, so you have to unset it with that software. If you delete that software before unsetting the proxy stuff you have to re-install it (sideload) and unset it within pdanet.)

What about any other rogue software, not from the market?

ALSO
Is your wireless security password at least 13 characters in length?

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
if i have been away from home with my tablet and then use it at home and it shows it is connected to my network I sometimes get a 'no connection' when opening my btowser. all i do is go to settings and disconnet from my internet and then reconnect and then it works. Also if you make changes to internet in settings you need to disconnect and reconnect for the changes to take effect.