Acer Iconia Bluetooth Keyboard!

v62cobra

May 1, 2011
I am waiting for a review on this product before making the financial plunge. It seems the accessories aren't all that great so far. The case is over-hyped, the dock would be great if it came with a power cord! So I just hope this one will be great as I see custom buttons like home screen, mail, etc that I believe will interact with the tablet.

v62cobra

May 1, 2011
that's good to hear. I have a stand and full skin protector, but I still want the case for travel. I've just been turned off by everyone saying the quality didn't match the price and that the sd card slot was covered up. I think I will just pick one up though to try out.

dweebken

Jun 8, 2011
I've ordered the Acer case and bluetooth keyboard, dock and travel ac adapter from Amazon. Will post a review or three after I get them.
So what if the SD card is covered? How often do you need physical access to the SD? I got a 32 GB SD card installed and have just left it there. Would be nice if it could be accessed from the PC, but filemanager hd accesses it just fine

v62cobra

May 1, 2011
Oh I agree. It wasn't a biggie, but just a minor issue. I was more concerned about the cost vs quality issue. Though I think I am going to hold off for the rooCase, I am hearing more and more positives about the case these days.

dweebken

Jun 8, 2011
I got my Acer Iconia Tab Bluetooth keyboard from Amazon today. It paired first go and works well (runs off two AAA cells, supplied). Some things I have to press the screen for, particularly when I'm on one of the home screens, but once I'm in the apps, the keyboard comes into its own. But even on the home screens, there are easy launch keys on the keyboard for access to common apps.

There's a Back key of course, and a Home key. These are probably the most frequently used ones for me! Other dedicated keys are:
Search key,
Increase Volume, and Decrease Volume.
Internet launch
Email Launch
Camera Launch
Contacts Launch
Music Launch
Stop/Play/Previous/Next track keys
Unlock (to wake the tablet from sleep)
Menu key (to access in-app menus).
The rest of the keys are standard keys you'd find on any regular keyboard. There are 80 keys all up, including the Apps Launch keys and there's even a blank key. They say the blank key has no function. I guess there'll be some hackers out there who would wanna see what they can do with the blank key, just because it's there!

There's a battery indicator light that supposed to flash red if the battery is low (my batteries are fresh). And a Connector indicator. This flashes blue for 5 secs when the keyboard is turned on, then flashes blue until the keyboard is paired (up to 3 mins). If it's searching for a paired device it remains blue for up to 5 secs. (seems a bit confusing I know).

I tried it in a few apps, like music player, including volume control, Docs to go, where typing was pretty easy, and Opera browser. When using the browser, using the cursor keys brings up a mouse on screen so you know where the keys are pointing, and enter clicks the links or opens a text entry field for text entry, where another Enter press closes that field and brings up the cursor pointer again so you can navigate to the next field. The Tab key doesn't seem to advance to the next text field like you'd get with a regular PC, but that's ok. It's just something to get used to.

The width of the keyboard is about the same as the landscape width of the Iconia Tab A500 itself and it has the same black colour & gloss. The height is maybe 3/4 the height of the landscape mode Tablet. So it matches well, looks good. It's easy and comfortable to type on, and the keys have tactile feedback without being noisy or loose. Underneath are 4 non-slip foot pads, that stick to my glass table quite well, and the power switch and the Bluetooth Connect (Synch) push button is there too. I almost don't need a mouse with this keyboard.

The main negative I have (and this is only a little one) is that I can't pick apps off the home screens with the arrow & enter keys. At least I haven't figured out how yet. The manual is a bit light on, just has the basics to get you started, in 18 languages, but it only has Latin/ASCII type letters, numbers & symbols on the key tops, which isn't an issue for me.

All in all, so far I like it, it'll definitely improve my utility of the tablet in business and Club meeting situations.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
For those of us who are shy about clicking on links with no intro, why don't you tell us a little about what it is and how you feel about it, since you have intimate knowledge? :)