Acer Iconia Tab A100 teardown

Zorrobyte

Sep 10, 2011
This one is a bit more complex. Remove the side pieces with a ID or plastic card, remove the 5 screws, and carefully pop off the rear cover.

$IMG_0265.jpg
$IMG_0264.jpg

I plan to add 3G to this tablet very soon.

Parts list:

mPCIe socket
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1698821
or
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1698820

3G card and antenna
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ericsson-F3...325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230b570b8d

Sim card reader
http://www.**************/fm-store/...ebooks-Solderless-SIM-Card-Reater-Socket.html

Should be able to solder in the connector and pop it in.

Last edited:

marmite

Sep 15, 2011
Can the battery be swapped for a higher spec one ??? It would be great if a 4400 battery could be installed giving maybe 8 hours use

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
upgrading the battery and IF it has an internal microSD i want to upgrade them both... my a100 16gb honeycomb 3.2 is in NY but i missed the shipment so i gotta go get it later... cant wait to get my hands on it :)

Zorrobyte

Sep 10, 2011
Have not completely stripped it down, just popped off the back cover. I've decided to simply tether it via WiFi to my phone for now as it's simple and it works. As far as battery and microsd goes I an not aware of a msd socket or end user replaceable batteries. It would be possible to mold a hard case with built in battery if desired but battery life isn't too bad as is. It's a shame it cannot charge over USB by any means, also there is no USB port like the A500.

My best advice is not to get the dock, it's a complete waste of money. No USB, HDMI, anything just phono and charger. You get what you pay for.

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
Have not completely stripped it down, just popped off the back cover. I've decided to simply tether it via WiFi to my phone for now as it's simple and it works. As far as battery and microsd goes I an not aware of a msd socket or end user replaceable batteries. It would be possible to mold a hard case with built in battery if desired but battery life isn't too bad as is. It's a shame it cannot charge over USB by any means, also there is no USB port like the A500.

My best advice is not to get the dock, it's a complete waste of money. No USB, HDMI, anything just phono and charger. You get what you pay for.

got mine last night. i got the 16gb Honeycomb 3.2 version and actually battery lasted 5-6 hours doing everything from benchmark to watching 1080p movies with wifi and bluetooth on. It last longer than my Coby Kryos did by far

tzatziki

Sep 18, 2011
I am really sorry to intrude & ever so sorry for getting off topic, but talking about the battery life: how long do you think it would last with nothing else than e-book reading?
Thanks in advance. ;)

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
I am really sorry to intrude & ever so sorry for getting off topic, but talking about the battery life: how long do you think it would last with nothing else than e-book reading?
Thanks in advance. ;)

For me its preety awsome.

Gaming non stop: 10+ hours
Streaming movies online non stop: 4-6 hours
Internet browsing includes downloading too non stop: 8+ hours
Music non stop: 12+ hours

Sent from Wicced's ROOTED Acer a100 16GB Honeycome 3.2

tzatziki

Sep 18, 2011
For me its preety awsome.

Gaming non stop: 10+ hours
Streaming movies online non stop: 4-6 hours
Internet browsing includes downloading too non stop: 8+ hours
Music non stop: 12+ hours

Sent from Wicced's ROOTED Acer a100 16GB Honeycome 3.2

Thanks a million for the quick reply. As you said, that really is pretty awesome, opposite to what the tests and reviews are saying. Now I am not afraid anymore of buying one. Thank you!

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
Keep in mind that it may be this way for me and different for another. Everyone uses their tablets for their own reasons and has their favorite apps. I test allot of apps and decide which is best so when I go somewhere with no outlet and I can't charge, the apps I have running don't use up my battery or CPU. But out the box its an awsome machine and I hope u enjoy when u get urs :)

Sent from Wicced's ROOTED Acer a100 16GB Honeycomb 3.2

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
I am looking hard at the A100 as a second device, simply for the fact of support for future upgrades. It is a solid device, as is my A500 has been. The device is sturdy and powerful. Screen resolution is very good, and the 1 gig of ram, dual core CPU, and 16 gigs of storage make it more formidable, when compared to others out there.

NSI

Oct 10, 2011
Can you describe in more detail or provide pictures on how to remove the side pieces and rear cover? I don't see any good starting point to pull the sides off first. It would seem the back would pop off easier starting at the door for the memory card slot.

Thanks.

This one is a bit more complex. Remove the side pieces with a ID or plastic card, remove the 5 screws, and carefully pop off the rear cover.

View attachment 3855
View attachment 3856

I plan to add 3G to this tablet very soon.

Parts list:

mPCIe socket
JAE|MM60-52B1-E1-R650|CONNECTOR, MINI PCI EXPRESS, 5 | Farnell United Kingdom
or
JAE|MM60-52B1-B1-R850|CONNECTOR, MINI PCI EXPRESS, 3 | Farnell United Kingdom

3G card and antenna
Ericsson F3307 F3307G 3G HSDPA WWAN Wireless WLAN Card | eBay

Sim card reader
http://www.***************/fm-store...ebooks-Solderless-SIM-Card-Reater-Socket.html

Should be able to solder in the connector and pop it in.

NSI

Oct 10, 2011
Can you provide more detailed instructions for popping the case? I don't see a good place to start to pop the sides first, it looks like the back would come off easier by starting at the opening for the memory card. But then you mention 5 screws that need to be removed before removing the back.

Thanks.