Acer specific video navigation problem

v23nb

Dec 29, 2011
Happy New Year to everyone. I posted about this problem a few days ago in the Android video forum but received no replies as I believe the answer is Acer A500 specific rather than a general MX video player problem and not enough people trying to use MX on an A500 see that forum.

I have a Topfield PVR that can export my recorded TV programs to my laptop by USB as a .rec file type. The .rec file is a mpg2 type file with a few extras attached. I then use VLC media player to play it as not much else will play it on a laptop. I spend half my life overseas so it is a godsend being able to watch home TV rather than foreign stuff! I then bought a Nook Color and converted it to Android with Cyanogenmod. VLC media player seems to be unavailable for Android so I tried various othersand found the only one that would play .rec is MX video player. The downside is that due to a small internal memory in the Nook I have to keep removing the mini-SD card to transfer programs onto it via a reader which is very fiddly with the Nook. I bought a 32gb Acer A500 in order to have a bigger screen and a suitable size hard drive however although MX video player runs on it I have no facility to navigate around a recording. The buttons to forward and rewind are present (and enabled in the menu) but have no effect. Similarly swipes across the screen have no result. The onscreen lock and image resize buttons appear and work however. I suspect this problem is Acer specific and wonder how many other A500 owners have tried running MX video player and found similar problems.

v23nb

Dec 29, 2011
Just tried loading an mp4 and a flv file onto the A500 and found that they work normally. Seems to be specifically just when playing .rec files.

v23nb

Dec 29, 2011
Ahhh... operator error! The other file formats working properly made me wonder if the original .rec file had not copied across properly. This turned out to be the case and now everything working properly. MX video player is a phenomenal app bearing in mind it is free. Apologies for wasting peoples time.