Acer Sync Issues

whitegoose

May 21, 2011
I've found that it doesn't work at all on windows 7... read an article on the Acer support site confirming this

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Question:
What does anyone use Acer Sync for?

I haven't found a single use for it.

JeffBaxter

May 30, 2011
. What is Acer Sync?
AcerSync is an easy-to-use software application that lets you synchronize your contacts, calendar, photos and video clips between your Acer phone, PC and corresponding Google services (cloud). Acer Sync software suite consists of 2 main components:

Acer Sync: Acer Sync is the framework that allows you to synchronize data between your Acer Phone, your PC, and the cloud. It also provides the necessary extensions to enable sync-over-WiFi as well as Microsoft Outlook 2007 cloud and cable synchronization support.
Download AcerSync: ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/smartphone/software/AcerSync.zip

Acer PIM: Acer PIM manages Contacts and Calendar data as an alternative to Microsoft Outlook 2007 and is particularly useful if all you need is quick and easy management features for contacts and calendar events.
Download Acer PIM: ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/smartphone/software/AcerPIM.zip

II. What platforms are supported by Acer Sync?

PC: Windows XP (32-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit & 64-bit).
Cloud platform: Google cloud services (contacts, calendar, Picasa, YouTube).
Acer phones: (with Android or Windows 6.5 above)

III. How do I set up Acer Sync on my phones and PCs?
AcerSync supports three synchronization scenarios:

Phone to Cloud (Google services)
You can perform the cloud sync with just a few clicks on your Acer phone which is pre-installed with AcerSync software. For some Acer phone models which are not pre-installed with AcerSync, please follow the Installation Guide to install the AcerSync from this website to your PC and transfer the software to your phone on the installation process.

PC to Phone via USB cable or WiFi
Please follow the Installation Guide to install the AcerSync software from this website to your PC.

PC to Cloud (Google services)
Please follow the Installation guide to install the AcerSync software from this website to your PC.

IV. Which Microsoft applications do I need on my PC before installing AcerSync?
Installed the applications for your version of Windows PC

Windows XP (32-bit) requires:
.Net Framework 3.0 (32-bit) (available from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70848)
ActiveSync 4.5 and above (available from: Getting Started With Your Windows Mobile Phone | Smartphone and PDA) (Only required by Windows Phones)

Windows Vista/7 (32-bit) requires:
Net Framework 3.0 (32-bit) (available from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70848) (Windows 7 can skip this)
Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) v6.1 (32-bit) (available from: Getting Started With Your Windows Mobile Phone | Smartphone and PDA) (Only required by Windows Phones)

Windows Vista/7 (64-bit) requires:
.Net Framework 3.0 (64-bit) (available from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70849) (Windows 7 can skip this)
Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) v6.1 (64-bit) (available from: Getting Started With Your Windows Mobile Phone | Smartphone and PDA) )(Only required by Windows Phones)

V. What synchronization methods are supported by Acer Sync?

USB Cable: PC-to-phone data synchronization using USB cable.
Wi-Fi (local network under the same sub-net): PC-to-phone data synchronization via Wi-Fi connection.
Data Connection (2G/3G/WiFi): Enables PC-to-cloud and Phone-to-cloud synchronization across all 3 platforms.

VI. What are the benefits of Sync-over-Wi-Fi?
There are few key benefits for setting up a WLAN ActiveSync connection:

Comparison to Bluetooth:
WiFi Synchronization is much faster than with Bluetooth.
WLAN signal coverage is usually much broader than Bluetooth.
Setting up ActiveSync via Bluetooth connection, ActiveSync profile and COM port profile requires many additional setup steps.

Comparison to USB connection
No additional USB cable is needed by Sync-over-Wi-Fi!
When using a WLAN connection, your Acer Phone can be charged with your AC adapter. The charging speed is much faster with AC adapter than with the USB port on the PC/Notebook.
The USB cable requires your Acer Phone to be very close to your PC/Notebook.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
So, in other words, according to what Jeff posted, its a totally useless extra layer.

Google Syncs my Calendar, contacts, youtube, pictures, ebooks, music (scored a Google Music invite), browser book marks, docs. (Did I forget anything)?

All my computers and phones sync to Google. I've pretty much sold my soul to Google I guess, but the last thing I want is yet another Sync program. I've never installed the PC part of this, and always kill the process when/if I see it running, and have never experienced a single problem.

JamesQ

Jun 24, 2011
I can report that the Iconia Tab synch thing does NOT work with my PC (XP). After reading JeffBaxter's dissertation I agree with him. Waste of time and I'm already very uncomfortable with the fact Google and Acer have virtually unlimited and unfettered access to everything on my system. Like the gentleman said: we've already sold our soul to Big Brother, oops I mean Google/Acer.

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
I've read that the Acer PIM software you are downloading isn't compatible with tablets, that's for smartphones. I've also heard that they are working on getting a tablet compatible version published so that it works correctly.

fortytwo

Apr 28, 2011
It appears to be just another tenacle to insure Google hasn't missed anything about you. I got the following in an E-Mail today:

"To find out just how much, head to www.google.com/dashboard and log in with your normal gmail/Google account. You'll then be able to see all of the data that Google holds, all in one place. From the number of messages in your mailbox, to the most recent item you bought via Checkout, or the most recent picture you shared on Picasa."

Time to be very afraid!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
It appears to be just another tenacle to insure Google hasn't missed anything about you. I got the following in an E-Mail today:

"To find out just how much, head to www.google.com/dashboard and log in with your normal gmail/Google account. You'll then be able to see all of the data that Google holds, all in one place. From the number of messages in your mailbox, to the most recent item you bought via Checkout, or the most recent picture you shared on Picasa."

Time to be very afraid!

That same page allows you to CONTROL all of this info. Do you know of one single other company that gives you that level of control?

You are free to buy an iPad if you feel you will be safer over there.

Last edited:

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
Google's pretty good about letting you know what they are tracking and such now, and let you change it all like Icebike said, since that whole incident occurred.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I have news for the "cautious"; EVERYTHING you do online is traceable somewhere. The only way to ensure that your data isn't mined is to stay offline or don't put anything you don't want divulged in print ( though again, it IS available somewhere.)

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Aug 18, 2011
. What is Acer Sync?
AcerSync is an easy-to-use software application that lets you synchronize your contacts, calendar, photos and video clips between your Acer phone, PC and corresponding Google services (cloud). Acer Sync software suite consists of 2 main components:

Acer Sync: Acer Sync is the framework that allows you to synchronize data between your Acer Phone, your PC, and the cloud. It also provides the necessary extensions to enable sync-over-WiFi as well as Microsoft Outlook 2007 cloud and cable synchronization support.
Download AcerSync: ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/smartphone/software/AcerSync.zip

Acer PIM: Acer PIM manages Contacts and Calendar data as an alternative to Microsoft Outlook 2007 and is particularly useful if all you need is quick and easy management features for contacts and calendar events.
Download Acer PIM: ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/smartphone/software/AcerPIM.zip

II. What platforms are supported by Acer Sync?

PC: Windows XP (32-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit & 64-bit).
Cloud platform: Google cloud services (contacts, calendar, Picasa, YouTube).
Acer phones: (with Android or Windows 6.5 above)

III. How do I set up Acer Sync on my phones and PCs?
AcerSync supports three synchronization scenarios:

Phone to Cloud (Google services)
You can perform the cloud sync with just a few clicks on your Acer phone which is pre-installed with AcerSync software. For some Acer phone models which are not pre-installed with AcerSync, please follow the Installation Guide to install the AcerSync from this website to your PC and transfer the software to your phone on the installation process.

PC to Phone via USB cable or WiFi
Please follow the Installation Guide to install the AcerSync software from this website to your PC.

PC to Cloud (Google services)
Please follow the Installation guide to install the AcerSync software from this website to your PC.

IV. Which Microsoft applications do I need on my PC before installing AcerSync?
Installed the applications for your version of Windows PC

Windows XP (32-bit) requires:
.Net Framework 3.0 (32-bit) (available from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70848)
ActiveSync 4.5 and above (available from: Getting Started With Your Windows Mobile Phone | Smartphone and PDA) (Only required by Windows Phones)

Windows Vista/7 (32-bit) requires:
Net Framework 3.0 (32-bit) (available from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70848) (Windows 7 can skip this)
Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) v6.1 (32-bit) (available from: Getting Started With Your Windows Mobile Phone | Smartphone and PDA) (Only required by Windows Phones)

Windows Vista/7 (64-bit) requires:
.Net Framework 3.0 (64-bit) (available from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=70849) (Windows 7 can skip this)
Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) v6.1 (64-bit) (available from: Getting Started With Your Windows Mobile Phone | Smartphone and PDA) )(Only required by Windows Phones)

V. What synchronization methods are supported by Acer Sync?

USB Cable: PC-to-phone data synchronization using USB cable.
Wi-Fi (local network under the same sub-net): PC-to-phone data synchronization via Wi-Fi connection.
Data Connection (2G/3G/WiFi): Enables PC-to-cloud and Phone-to-cloud synchronization across all 3 platforms.

VI. What are the benefits of Sync-over-Wi-Fi?
There are few key benefits for setting up a WLAN ActiveSync connection:

Comparison to Bluetooth:
WiFi Synchronization is much faster than with Bluetooth.
WLAN signal coverage is usually much broader than Bluetooth.
Setting up ActiveSync via Bluetooth connection, ActiveSync profile and COM port profile requires many additional setup steps.

Comparison to USB connection
No additional USB cable is needed by Sync-over-Wi-Fi!
When using a WLAN connection, your Acer Phone can be charged with your AC adapter. The charging speed is much faster with AC adapter than with the USB port on the PC/Notebook.
The USB cable requires your Acer Phone to be very close to your PC/Notebook.

Great, Thanks sharing!

Zorrobyte

Sep 10, 2011

Time to be very afraid!

And you expected anything else from the world's biggest advertising company?