Acer Sync?

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Anyone using Acer Sync?

I tried sync'ing the data on my A500 using the Acer Sync.
I thought I configured it right.

I got an error saying "No Acer Sync compatible PIM application found".

The box to add what the PIM is sync'ing to is greyed out.
I uninstalled and then re-installed. I was right back where I started.

Does anyone know how to get all the way back to the beginning to set the thing up correctly?

Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Did you install the latest drivers on your computer from the Acer website?

What pim do you use on your pc?

Note...
Ive never found a use for acer sync. I just sync everything with Google, mail, contacts, pictures, music, reader.
For movies i just transfer them with usb or wifi.

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Neither have I...I just sync using my google account...even if you don't have one (don't see a reason why not having one), you can just create one to be used for syncing

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
OK, so the PIM is completely separate? I never heard of it before installing the Acer Sync.
I was using the Google servers, but kinda liked the idea of backing it up on the laptop.
When I looked at the log, the Acer Sync said I also wasn't backing up to the Google servers because of no PIM.

Is the PIM something I can set up via Windows on the laptop or do I need to look somewhere else?

Thanks.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Is the PIM something I can set up via Windows on the laptop or do I need to look somewhere else?

Thanks.

PIM is a generic term for Personal Information Manager, something like Outlook, or Windows Contacts, or the equivalent Mac software.

Its used to sync address books and maybe mail, and certainly Calendar. The term PIM is generic, so the meaning is not precise.
Mozilla Thunderbird qualifies as a PIM. And with the Zindus plug in, it will sync with your Gmail contacts and keep your address book up to date on the PC. Microsoft Outlook is a PIM, and google supplies plugins to keep it in sync with your google account.

Acer Sync has a download on the Acer site that is software for your PC, not your tablet. That software knows how to find certain PIM packages on your PC, and as they update it, it gains the ability to handle more PIM programs.

But you still have to cable up each time, which is a huge pain in the rear.

Sync your contacts with Google Contacts, and then sync your PC, your phone, your laptop with google contacts and the problem is solved without ever digging up your usb cable. Your contacts will be available everywhere.
(I honestly can't remember the last time I cabled my acer).

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
See, if they would have said "Outlook" or "Desktop email client" I wouldn't have been so confused. We don't have one yet, but have been thinking of putting one on the laptop.
Also, you can sync the tablet to the PC/ laptop via wifi, no need for cables. The only time I really use the cable is to put major amounts of stuff (mass import of music, pics, etc).
The cloud is nice, but I really like having my stuff backed up on a unit I own. Otherwise, I'd never get to cry when it dies ;)

Thanks