Acer Tablet just updated-need help dealing with a change

karbar32

Jul 9, 2012
Warning...warning...Newbie incoming. :eek:

I just bought this Acer tablet a few weeks ago, and have enjoyed using it. Sunday, there was a system update notice and I accepted it. Now it's this Ice Cream sandwich dubbed version 4.0.3 that I know nothing about. Frankly, after just getting used to this Acer, I was happy with the way it was. After several confusing boot-ons that led to the camera being turned on, I noticed that a camera icon now appears on the Lock screen, and that's why it's been going directly to the camera instead of the Home screen. I don't suppose there's any way to remove the camera option from the Lock screen? I don't need the camera to be presented from start up/standby mode. I miss the icons for Home, Bookmarks, and Go Back in the bottom corner-replaced by those little dots now. Getting everyone acclimated to the new look after just learning the ends and outs.is a minor frustration I'd rather not have. The camera's been streamlined-the settings have been hidden but again, I find that I liked the original look better. The camera screen now looks...cheap. I do think the browser's been improved, it hasn't crashed on me since the update. One positive thus far...

So in other words, is there a way to keep whatever improvements they made to the system, while going back to the cosmetics of the previous 3.0 version? Thanks.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
If you don't want to use the camera then don't swipe your finger toward the camera.
Just swipe your finger the other way, toward the unlock.
And the home back arrow are there depending on what app you are in.
I don't understand, what is so confusing?

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Warning...warning...Newbie incoming. :eek:

I just bought this Acer tablet a few weeks ago, and have enjoyed using it. Sunday, there was a system update notice and I accepted it. Now it's this Ice Cream sandwich dubbed version 4.0.3 that I know nothing about. Frankly, after just getting used to this Acer, I was happy with the way it was. After several confusing boot-ons that led to the camera being turned on, I noticed that a camera icon now appears on the Lock screen, and that's why it's been going directly to the camera instead of the Home screen. I don't suppose there's any way to remove the camera option from the Lock screen? I don't need the camera to be presented from start up/standby mode. I miss the icons for Home, Bookmarks, and Go Back in the bottom corner-replaced by those little dots now. Getting everyone acclimated to the new look after just learning the ends and outs.is a minor frustration I'd rather not have. The camera's been streamlined-the settings have been hidden but again, I find that I liked the original look better. The camera screen now looks...cheap. I do think the browser's been improved, it hasn't crashed on me since the update. One positive thus far...

So in other words, is there a way to keep whatever improvements they made to the system, while going back to the cosmetics of the previous 3.0 version? Thanks.
I understand exactly what you mean. The change from 3.2.1 to 4.0.3 was a little disorienting for me also, and clearly for many others. I had used my tablet for several months prior to getting the update. I can imagine what it would be like to start over so soon as you have now done.

You've got the update now, and while going back to 3.2.1 is possible, it can be risky and a bit complicated. The changes in appearance to buttons, fonts, and controls are what they are, for better or worse, and in most cases cannot be changed back to look like 3.2.1.

I recommend that you play with the new OS for a few days and try to get used to the changes. The changes are mostly aesthetic, and the important functionality is still there. You'll probably discover in a fairly short time that you can find the functionality you want and get things set up the way you prefer again -- possibly with some improvements.

Again, I agree that it is a pain when developers make changes that seem arbitrary at first. You may in time find as I did though that some of the changes are actually an improvement, however slight and superficial they appear at first. You may want to try out some of the new features:

* On the desktop/launcher, you can drag common shortcuts and drop them on each other to create categorical folders. Just press, hold, drag and drop a shortcut onto another one to see this feature. You can then name the folder.

* If you have some builtin app that you find annoying or malfunctioning, go to Settings > Apps > All (tab). In there you can scroll down to the builtin app you don't like, select it, and press the disable button. This button was not available on 3.2.1.

* Try adding the Power control widget to your desktop. That's a handy new builtin feature to toggle wifi, BT, GPS, etc.

* You may notice that Wifi connects much faster on 4.0.3 than it did with 3.2.1.

You'll find more handy changes as you look around.

Now for a little balance here... you may also encounter some bugs/problems that you did not see in 3.2.1.

Last edited:

karbar32

Jul 9, 2012
If you don't want to use the camera then don't swipe your finger toward the camera.
Just swipe your finger the other way, toward the unlock.
And the home back arrow are there depending on what app you are in.
I don't understand, what is so confusing?

LOL...I know...I know. I guess you could chalk this up to being a case of love at first sight. Again, this is my first tablet-I liked how things were, going thru the learning curve, and now, out of the blue, changes made, that however minor, tweaked the way you handled it. I honestly didn't notice the camera icon on the lock screen until seconds before posting. So there was a bit of confusion and angst, wondering if I'd done something wrong on this very expensive slate.

mr helper said
You've got the update now, and while going back to 3.2.1 is possible, it can be risky and a bit complicated. The changes in appearance to buttons, fonts, and controls are what they are, for better or worse, and in most cases cannot be changed back to look like 3.2.1.

I recommend that you play with the new OS for a few days and try to get used to the changes. The changes are mostly aesthetic, and the important functionality is still there. You'll probably discover in a fairly short time that you can find the functionality you want and get things set up the way you prefer again -- possibly with some improvements.
Thanks for your advice. We will get used to it of course. It was just jarring to see the camera turning on at powr up, and couldn't figure out why. (I do miss the separation between pre-installed apps and My Apps-those downloaded by me. Now they're all lumped together).

And, I don't know if I should start a second thread for newbie issues or not, but I may have spoken too soon about the browser not crashing. It hung up a couple of times...but the problem is, I don't know if it's the tablet or the website.
I've also noticed the pc is a bit slow to load pages. First time using a wireless router, and I'm wondering if the firewall in the router and pc firewall is too much, slowing the PC load time down occasionally? Also installed an antivirus app on the Acer, AVS. Could this also explain the sometimes sluggish loads or hang ups with the browser there?
Any recommendations for better antivirus programs or system performance apps? Thanks again.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
If you are getting worried about the camera on boot-up, I suggest you don't get a docking station for you A500 - that will really give you something to whinge about. After I come out of the lock screen I get a multimedia screen instead of the standard screen - when I'm plugged into the docking station.