Ad Hoc / MIFI 220 (Virgin) and my SYLTAB10ST ----NON-rooted Questions

dmarko

Dec 15, 2011
If I wanted to get a MIFI 2200 (Virigin Mobil hotspot), I am not 100% sure this is ad hoc. But I am assuming it probably is.
Question I have is whether I will be able to run Ad Hoc on my "non-rooted" SYTAB10ST with some kind of program like ZT-180 Ad Hoc or another program that does not require root.

ALso, In furthering this discussion of hooking up with a another MIFI brand for mobile access. Has anyone else had success with another brand of 3G mifi.

I'm very leery about trying to root the device as I don't have alot of time to spend diagnostics of problems from rooting.

Please help.
David

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
usually to make your device see ad hoc networks it needs to be rooted and even then it doesnt mean it there will be away to get it to see ad hoc networks

Compu_Guy

Nov 26, 2011
If I wanted to get a MIFI 2200 (Virigin Mobil hotspot), I am not 100% sure this is ad hoc. But I am assuming it probably is.
Question I have is whether I will be able to run Ad Hoc on my "non-rooted" SYTAB10ST with some kind of program like ZT-180 Ad Hoc or another program that does not require root.

ALso, In furthering this discussion of hooking up with a another MIFI brand for mobile access. Has anyone else had success with another brand of 3G mifi.

I'm very leery about trying to root the device as I don't have alot of time to spend diagnostics of problems from rooting.

Please help.
David

The only way that I have found so far to connect to an Ad Hoc network on the SYTAB10ST is with the ZT-180 software. I've tried a few other methods and they took a while to recover from since they didn't work. The ZT-180 is very slick and just does the trick once you configure it. You will need to have root access though as you mentioned. I haven't run into any issues running as root, unless you start messing with renaming systems files and such. The easiest way to root this device is with Androot 1.6 beta 5. You can always do a "soft" root, so that when you reboot, root is now gone. This can be a way to only turn on root when you want to use the Ad Hoc connection.