Add phone capabilities to your tablet (UPDATED 7-2-14 This Method Still Works!)

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Gizmo5 is on hold at the moment (no new users) and Sipgate is limiting new users. Bottom line is getting this setup and working now is very difficult due to the unavaiblity of the SIP client account.

did you even read the instructions?

jokerboy32

Feb 2, 2011
hey im workin on a rooted coby 7015 and i followed all the steps but wheni register my number with google voice it calls my tablet instead of the computer , when i call my google voice number my tablet will ring even though i have picked up the call on the tablet.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
so you already have google voice on your tablet and it is getting calls ?

Midknight

Dec 19, 2010
Hey Probbie is express talk downloaded to the tablet or a windows based computer. Because I can't find it in a .apk file

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Gizmo5 is on hold at the moment (no new users) and Sipgate is limiting new users.

Does this write up say anything about using gizmo5 or sip gate? Where did you get that from.

express talk is for the PC its just a step in the process to get free calling on your tablet. If you follow the instructions you will be able to make and receive calls free. But I can see where you get confused with express talk so I will update the instructions to make it more clear thank you midknight

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

applewhite29

Feb 5, 2011
Need a bit of help here. All of these programs mentioned in the original instructions are for PC based devices. My device wont let me run .exe files. What am i missing?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Android Tablet Forum App

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Need a bit of help here. All of these programs mentioned in the original instructions are for PC based devices. My device wont let me run .exe files. What am i missing?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Android Tablet Forum App

I dont get what your asking because most of the files mentioned are android apps. the only one that isnt is express talk

applewhite29

Feb 5, 2011
The install file for call centric is callcentric_inst.exe how do i install that program on my tab? Also since u know express talk is a .exe file, how do i install it of the tab?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
you dont install it on the tab you install it on the pc and you dont install callcentric you just sign up for it. Read the instructions acouple of times and then if you get stuck on the instructions tell me where and i will be able to help you from there

applewhite29

Feb 5, 2011
Okay. Thats clear, but im curious how the tab will make or receive calls if it doesnt have the calling program software. Gonna install the programs now. THANK YOU!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
if you follow the instructions it will make calls over wifi or 3g which is known as voip (voice over internet protocal) so thats how it works without having the actual phone capabilities from your carrier

applewhite29

Feb 5, 2011
Okay so i spent the morning getting the phone system set up and it WORKS!! Omg this is really the best thing ever. I was almost devastated that i couldnt use this beautiful device as a phone. The only issues/questions i have are:
1. The Google voice app does not let me make calls thru it. I can only send texts or receive voicemail. Im sure that has something to do with the Tablet. So i am using the app called Google Voice Callback by Xinlu. That seems to be needed to redirect my calls thru GV, im just guessing, but u tell me if that sounds right to u. This works great. I was thinking that csipsmple or dialer one would direct dial, but it seems that a redirecting app is needed. Am i correct?

2. Within csipsimple, there are 2 options; i can call via callcentric or "mobile". If i select callcentric i receive an error message from call centric saying that i cant dial that number etc. If i use "mobile" the call goes thru. Im putting mobile in quotes b/c im not sure what program or app its referring to. It may refer to dialer one, but again this is where i need ur expertise b/c im not certain. Another issue regarding this "mobile" app is if the callcentric icon is selected in the app while receiving a call, then the tablet will ring but there is no option given on the screen to answer the call. If the "mobile" icon is selected then the buttons to answer the call appear. This concerns me b/c there doesnt seem to be a way to disable the callcentric icon and use only the mobile option. This part is very strange to me and id love to hear ur thoughts.

Thanks again!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
OK I don't quit understand the mobile option situation because csipsimple shouldn't have anything in it until you add an account. But yes you were right you need a redirecting app and I don't know if you skipped over that part in my instructions but I talked about one and how to set it up. And one more thing I would be careful selecting mobile because my understanding is each galaxy tab comes with its own number and if you use it you might get charged just a heads up

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

adamster

Feb 25, 2011
I have successfully implemented all of the steps in this process on my Archos 101. I can make and recieve calls, however, I can't hear anyone on my side, the other persons phone can hear me. The sound automatically (speakers) goes to mute, anyone else ran into this?