Add phone capabilities to your tablet (UPDATED 7-2-14 This Method Still Works!)

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I have successfully implemented all of the steps in this process on my Archos 101. I can make and recieve calls, however, I can't hear anyone on my side, the other persons phone can hear me. The sound automatically (speakers) goes to mute, anyone else ran into this?

What voip app are you using?

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

cainm13

Mar 2, 2011
How are people solving the issue with Google voice asking for permission to connect the caller. Press 1 to connect, 2 to sent to voicemail.

After I slide up to connect, it doesn't switch me to a dial pad to press the numbers. So the call goes to voicemail.

cainm13

Mar 2, 2011
Sorry, didn't let me edit my post.

Also, I don't have sound or mic working. I can call out/receive calls, but I can't talk or hear the other person.
I have Sylvania Tablet. Using Sipdroid and Ekiga(instead of callcentric)

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
if your using dialer one for your dialer read step 8 and i recommend using dialer one to fix the not being able to press one problem and i never could get sound working on sipdroid but if you read the known issue section there is a fix for csipsimple. Hope that helps if you need more help let me know

King Conn

Apr 4, 2011
Hi probbiethe1:
I'll bet I'm too late with a question on the phone for android Thread 12-2-10 but I'll give it a shot.

Im pretty computer savey for an 86 year old, and I have been trying to follow the instructions on your post, but I'm get lost in the process somewhere.
Do you have onother post with up-to-date instructions?

Oh yes, I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab operating on wifi only. Maby I should activate it with Verizon.

Anyway ony help would be appreciated.

Conn Marsden [email protected]

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Hi probbiethe1:
I'll bet I'm too late with a question on the phone for android Thread 12-2-10 but I'll give it a shot.

Im pretty computer savey for an 86 year old, and I have been trying to follow the instructions on your post, but I'm get lost in the process somewhere.
Do you have onother post with up-to-date instructions?

Oh yes, I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab operating on wifi only. Maby I should activate it with Verizon.

Anyway ony help would be appreciated.

Conn Marsden [email protected]

where are you getting stuck, that would be easier for me to help you and your right i do need to do an update for this

cbmwlynch

Apr 16, 2011
You mentioned in your original thread that you were able to make calls and receive them to/from other cell phones. The Freedom Plan from Callcentric does not allow me to make calls to landlines and cells directly unless they also have a callcentric account. Is that right or do you have a workaround. Trying to work it from my Samsung Galaxy Tab so I can make calls as well as receive them. I receive them just fine but can't make them to existing cell phones.

King Conn

Apr 4, 2011
where are you getting stuck, that would be easier for me to help you and your right i do need to do an update for this

Thanks for your reply. I just got back from a small trip,or I would have replied sooner.
Frankly I dont know where I am. I thought I had everything, but I seem to have made mistakes somewhere. How do I delete everything and start from scratch?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
@cbmwlnych if you follow my instructions you can make calls for free. what you do is use the google voice free call app (make sure its set to always use) then when you dial a number it will pop up google voice call free that then uses your google voice number to call you (so its an incoming call) then it redirects you to the number you dialed. So it will always look like an incoming call to callcentric which means FREE!!

@king conn what i would do is delete all of the apps and then reinstall them so they are fresh installs and then you dont need a new callcentric number just start from getting a new ipkall number and making sure it works with google voice so basically step 3

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Hi Robbie,
i have a witstech A81E 2.2 bought Aug. 2010 using 0211 Firmware - NO microphone or Camera. I would love to be able to make calls from it, videoconf if possible. Can you PLEASE advise if I can use USB external Mic./ camera dongle(?), and if YES, name, where to get etc. I do hope this is NOT an unfair and idiotic question. Thanks.
Vijay

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Hi Robbie,
i have a witstech A81E 2.2 bought Aug. 2010 using 0211 Firmware - NO microphone or Camera. I would love to be able to make calls from it, videoconf if possible. Can you PLEASE advise if I can use USB external Mic./ camera dongle(?), and if YES, name, where to get etc. I do hope this is NOT an unfair and idiotic question. Thanks.
Vijay

its not a stupid question but i think your tablet already has a built in mic and added a camera or something through usb probably wont work but check out the section in the forum that fits your tablet best and you can most likely find the answers there

Nishaun

Mar 24, 2011
It works, it took all day but it works. My first mistake was to ignore downloading Express Talk to PC, I am not sure if it was necassary maybe to register at callcentric. Because when I finally got the google number working the confirmation message went to may android tablet.
I also got tripped up when I confused "Google voice" with "Google voice free call." I was not able to intercept the phonecalls with Google voice. I simply got a message that "mobile network was not available".
Please note I do not believe that "Google voice free call" is available any more. Search appstore for "google voice free callback."
Also it took 4 tries to get a good sip number from ipkall (one not already in use by two users)(1 user worked fine guess I borrowed it) .

One question what is the purpose of the dialer (dialer one)? I can dial from csipsimple. Dialer is annoying is it necassary, it is always popping up?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
im glad you got it working, and your right express talk isnt necessarily needed to get this to work but it helps and it made things easier for me to explain. also dialer one isnt necessary but once again it makes things easier but if you dont want to use it you dont have to. also thanks for letting me know about google voice call free app i will update the post

scunnyngham

May 8, 2011
Thanks for the great informational post. I recently purchased the wifi only version and it seems that voice has been disabled. I followed your instructions, got a good ipkall number on the first attempt and already had a callcentric account. I can place a call, GV call free completes the process and the called party answers. My problem is that I have no outbound audio although I can hear the called party just fine.

Any suggestions? I am willing to root the device but am not sure what rom if any would give me voice capabilities.

scunnyngham

May 8, 2011
Follow-up, in addition to cipsimple I have also installed 3cx with the same results thinking it might be a codec related issue.