Add phone capabilities to your tablet (UPDATED 7-2-14 This Method Still Works!)

dougp59

May 12, 2011
Ok, two issues have occured.

1.) When my Galaxy TAB goes into power save mode, inbound calls go into google voicemail.
2.) I am using CSipSimple for the SIP client. When running, a small telephone icon with the word SIP is visible at the top left of the TAB display. It will without explanation just disappear. I can't get it to come back without a reboot. Without that ICON being viewable, no in or out calls.

Anyone have these and how did you resolve them?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Ok, two issues have occured.

1.) When my Galaxy TAB goes into power save mode, inbound calls go into google voicemail.
2.) I am using CSipSimple for the SIP client. When running, a small telephone icon with the word SIP is visible at the top left of the TAB display. It will without explanation just disappear. I can't get it to come back without a reboot. Without that ICON being viewable, no in or out calls.

Anyone have these and how did you resolve them?

you could try using the app called "no lock" that way your device will never lock but it will still go to sleep and that might fix the issue but its just an idea

dougp59

May 12, 2011
Well, I have hit a snag. Without Blue Tooth earpiece (for call privacy) Probbies' instructions works like a dream. BUT, with Blue Tooth, I've had little to no success. I even went to the length of uninstalling CsipSimple and using the latest nightly build of their product from their website. No avail. Symptoms are that I can hear in the earpiece but callers can't hear me. I have messed around and messed around and finally have retreated to Plan B.

Plan B.
Skype subscription plus Skype issued phone number. The subscription gets you unlimited calls and costs around $6 a month. The Skype issued phone number allows non-Skyper's to call you from ANY phone.

So for now I have disabled CsipSimple for inbound calls, bought the Skype stuff and Blue Tooth works flawlessly on that.

Montlhy bill is $26 to mobile carrier for 1Gb data plan for the Samsung Galaxy TAB, plus $6 a month for Skype subscription plus a few bucks a month for Skype issued phone number. Obviously I'd like to stop at $26 a month for my oversized smart phone, but $36 is better than $80-$100 a month rip-off most people are paying!

I went to Google Voice settings and added the new Skype issued phone number. Google Voice will want to ring it and confirm you are not a droid. (Lol!) Enter in the 2 digit code and bingo you are set.

With Plan B, I can send and receive calls via Skype to land lines and mobile and use the Blue Tooth for privacy.

Obviously I would love to not have to pay Skype, but I have no choice!

BTW, I ported my long held cell number from Straight Talk to Google voice. Cost, $20. Elapsed time to port, under 24 hours. So, ALL my contacts have not lost touch with me as I join y'all in blazing this trail!

I can still use Google voice to send and receive txt, so do not bother buying an SMS service through Skype or anybody else.

I will be eagerly awaiting a solution for the Blue Tooth issue so I can drop Skype. (I have a Jawbone Icon.)

sga

Jul 7, 2011
Hi, PRobbieThe1! I hope you are still monitoring this thread. Not much activity lately.

I'm enjoying trying to get this to work. But I'm trying it on a Windows 7 laptop, as you showed in your video, using YouWave. However, you said to use Guava instead of csip.. or sipdroid. I am trying to find where to download Guava from. Can you give me a link to where to get the same version you used? Also, I saw some discussions in other forums about using Guava, and they say you have to get a phone number from gismo5 first. I'm assuming I don't have to do that since I've already gotten one with callcentric/ipKall, am I right?

Thanks so much!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I'm sorry for the confusion, I really need to redo the video. I highly recommended csipsimple the reason I used quava in the video is because that's the only app that would work on youwave and I thought that would be the easiest way to record a video. But these steps aren't to use on the PC they are for a android phone or lap top

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

sga

Jul 7, 2011
Thanks, PRobbie. Believe it or not, I don't even have an Android device yet, but I'm getting ready to get one. I came across this thread, and when I saw your video using YouWave, I just assumed that you meant the entire process could be simulated on a laptop. Most of the .apk files ran fine under YouWave, but as you mentioned, sipdroid and csipsimple do not, so I was hoping to find another way to do that step. When you said you used Guava, I thought that might be the solution for me. Oh well, when I get a tablet, I'll get back to this again. Thanks a lot.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah sorry about the confusion, but sense your last comment i have been looking into getting it to work on the computer because that would be awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

sga

Jul 7, 2011
PRobbie, have you had any luck getting it all to run on the computer? I never found a way to run the csipsimple (or guava) step. Let me know if you made progress. Thanks!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
i havent yet, there is a promising new program coming out called bluestack that might be able to do what i have in mind but i am still trying and have a few more ideas up my sleeves

micjay22

Aug 3, 2011
Hey Pro, thank you for writing up this tutorial, it's very helpful.
I'm at the second half of the last step. I think I set up everything correctly and I can make a phone call to my Asus Transformer just fine. But I cannot place a call from the tablet. If I use CSIPsimple to dial, it says not allowed for outbound calls. I used Dialer One app and tried to call somebody but nothing happens, sometimes the screen will flash then nothing happens. There's not a dialer option in Google Voice. I thought you are suppose to use Google Voice to initiate the call, then GV call back will ring, then it will dial your destination number? Please help, I'm so close but so lost.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Hey Pro, thank you for writing up this tutorial, it's very helpful.
I'm at the second half of the last step. I think I set up everything correctly and I can make a phone call to my Asus Transformer just fine. But I cannot place a call from the tablet. If I use CSIPsimple to dial, it says not allowed for outbound calls. I used Dialer One app and tried to call somebody but nothing happens, sometimes the screen will flash then nothing happens. There's not a dialer option in Google Voice. I thought you are suppose to use Google Voice to initiate the call, then GV call back will ring, then it will dial your destination number? Please help, I'm so close but so lost.

Ok this should be an easy fix. Make sure you have google voice free call, its a separate app from google voice. Open that and make sure its set up correctly and then also in google voice free call select "use GV to make all calls" AND THEN CLICK APPLY SETTINGS. make sure you dont forget apply settings, i did once and it took awhile for me to figure out what i did wrong. Once you have done that you shouldnt have any more issues dialing with dialer one. Hope that helps

micjay22

Aug 3, 2011
Ok this should be an easy fix. Make sure you have google voice free call, its a separate app from google voice. Open that and make sure its set up correctly and then also in google voice free call select "use GV to make all calls" AND THEN CLICK APPLY SETTINGS. make sure you dont forget apply settings, i did once and it took awhile for me to figure out what i did wrong. Once you have done that you shouldnt have any more issues dialing with dialer one. Hope that helps

Thank you for the reply. I did download the GV free call app and put in my IPKall number and gmail credential info, also selected use GV to make all calls. Then I clicked on apply, on the bottom, it said settings applied successfully and it sent me to the tablet desktop. I then opened up dialer one, just cannot initiate a call. Screen will flash for a brief moment then nothing happens. If I hold the green phone icon in dialer one, it took me to compose a text. I tested, and it was successful, but cannot receive any. Just a FYI, I grabbed google voice app (not the gv free call app) from the web, (your link doesn't work and I cannot find it in Market). I believe it's a newer version. I'm not able to install the old version, saying it doesn't know how how to open it or something. When I gone through the wizard during the first installation, it complained about the tablet doesn't have a valid carrier service. Does this matter?

So basically now I can only receive voice calls and send text messages. lol...