Adding Videos to "My Files" on NT

Jan 1, 2012
I am waiting on an SD card so I can remove the stupid 1.4.1 update. In the meantime, I thought I would try learning how to add music and videos to it. I used Freemake Video Converter to convert a digital copy of a movie(avi) to mp4, then copied it to my NT. I put it in "My Files." However, when I go into the NT and try to play it, it says it cannot play it. Is there something I am missing? I thought as long as it was in mp4 format it would play.
Thanks for any help

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Are you using the stock Nook video player? Most likely it is looking for the video to be in a specific directory (i.e. Movies). Make sure you put the file where the player is looking for it.

Jan 1, 2012
I am not sure what I am video player I am using, honestly. Using the "Movies" icon at the bottom and selecting "My Media" seemed so unorganized and slow; it doesn't have anything labeled, and mixes movies and pictures. I was just saving it to my "my files" then "videos." I clicked on the actual movie, then it pops up. I found that I had to convert my movies to 3PG instead of MP4 in order to get them to play. However, both of the movies I tried only show as a box, not widescreen. On my computer, the converted files' properties say they are 640x256 and 640x360. Do I need to change these values, or change something on my NT?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Jan 1, 2012
Thank you! I saw that program on some forums, but it was always linked to the NC so I didn't know if it would work for the NT. I will try that today.

Jan 1, 2012
Ok, another question. I have a lot of movies saved as .avi . Is it always necessary to convert them to 3PG with Freemake before using Handbrake? Or did I do something wrong, maybe not gotten the settings right(see following for reason asking)? I tried skipping the Freemake part and converted an avi movie with Handbrake and ended up with a file that used my Zune software to open instead of VLC, like my first trial movie. When I roll over each of the movies, their properties say: MPEG-4(opens with my Zune) and .mp4(opens with VLC). I thought I read somewhere on the forum mentioned above about this, but I can't find that quote. And does it make a difference once on my NT if it is MPEG-4 or .mp4?

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
From the B&N website:
Your NOOK Tablet supports the following video file formats: 3GP, 3G2, MP4, M4V, MKV, WEBM, H.264 (Baseline/Main/High profile) up to 1920x1080, MPEG-4 Simple/Advanced Simple profile up to 1920x1080, & H.263. Your NOOK Tablet will not support the following video file formats: MOV/QT; AVI; XVID/DIVX; WMV / VC-1.
So yes, you must always convert AVI files unless you get a player that can play them.

As far as actual difference between the file types when when playing them I can't say. You will have to see which ones you think work best. The player being used also makes a difference as one player may play mp4 just fine and another not so much.

I believe the part of your question for Zune playing MPEG-4 and VLC playing .mp4 you are talking about your computer. Windows sets a default program to open specific file types. Unfortunately most of the people write the programs in such a way that every time you open that program for it will try and associate all of the file types to itself so it always sets itself as the default player. To turn this off you may have to dig into the programs settings so it will leave your file associations alone.

To reset the default program for any particular file type you can right click on a file of the type you want to set, then choose "Open With..." then check the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this king of file" and navigate to the program you want to open as the default. So if you wanted to open mp4 with zune for example you'd right click an mp4 file, check the always use box and then find zune in the list of programs.

Jan 1, 2012
OH NO!!!! I thought I had everything right! I got my movie converted, on my NT, and it actually plays widescreen... but it isn't smooth at all! every few seconds the video stalls while the audio keeps going. It gets stuck for a second or two, then catches back up with the audio. I kept watching it hoping it would just work itself out. But after a few minutes of this, the video stuck and didn't catch up at all with the audio. Is this fixable?!? The movie had been converted from .avi to .mp4(using Freemake), then convereted for NT using Handbrake.
Thanks JP, I knew I read that somewhere but forgot where! Do you think once I get my SD card, get the update taken off, I should get a different app for movie playback? Or is my above problem due to conversion?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm not an expert in video conversion so I can't really say what the issue is. The stock player on the Nooks is supposed to be pretty good but many people feel players from the Market work even better. So yes, once you revert to 1.4 you should be able to get a player that has fewer issues. Hopefully one of the video experts will chime in and offer some advice.

If not you may want to send a PM to some of the previous posters here or supporting vendors or look for a thread in a more general section where other video conversations have taken place. DVD Catalyst posted this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-tablet/27168-full-screen-nooktablet-movie-trailers.html and FoxrealVideo has offered some advice too. Supporting Vendors