Adobe flash player 11 a disaster for the iplayer.

techman47

Jul 20, 2011
What on earth have they done? an update to version 11 has made the BBC iplayer unusable in full screen mode, if this isn't a case of " if it ain't broke don't fix it" then I don't know what is, all I get now on my TF is big black marks shooting in from the left side of the screen every few seconds, this only seems to be when using the iplayer which was perfect 10 minutes before the update came in last night :mad:

techman47

Jul 20, 2011
Must be someone out there in the UK that uses BBC Iplayer or perhaps this forum is not suitable for UK users! even feedback comments on the adobe app download page highlights this problem.

jaydee

Jul 23, 2011
Yes ...It's happening on mine too....can you go back to flash player 10 somehow?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

techman47

Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for the response I was beginning to think it was just me but I suppose it only affects us UK users with BBC Iplayer

After a lot of searching on google I managed to find a non market adobe 10.2 app installed that and problem fixed! switched off any chance of updates as well.

Last edited:

neildarlow

Jun 11, 2011
Hi,

This must be tablet specific. My generic, Chinese, 2.2 tablet with Freescale CPU plays fullscreen iPlayer content fine with flashplayer-11. To be honest, I was expecting to have problems with the update but so far it's been behaving very nicely.

Sent from my imx51_bbg using Tapatalk

jaydee

Jul 23, 2011
Can you post the link to the 10.2 download site please,and did you uninstall 11 before installing 10.2 if so how? Thanks

techman47

Jul 20, 2011
Can you post the link to the 10.2 download site please,and did you uninstall 11 before installing 10.2 if so how? Thanks

Got it from here, Download the latest Adobe Flash Player 10.2 for Android | Android Advices scroll down page to the link in red text.

Yes I did uninstall version 11 first, when you install 10.2 it will probably say not allowed go to settings/applications/unknown sources and check this box.

I got it on to my tab by using dropbox from my main PC it installed it straight from here in its unzipped format with no problem apart from the app market warning which is over ridden as above another way to do it perhaps is to put the file on an SD card. by the way it downloads as a zip file.

Sorry forget this idea they have wrecked this version too!

Last edited:

techman47

Jul 20, 2011
Time for the transformer to go been nothing but problems, keyboard/dock failure within a month, flimsy usb lead premature failure, always updating apps and making them worse than before, I bought it specifically to use BBC iplayer amongst other uses as well but now it is useless to me since they brought out adobe flash player version 11 which does not work properly on the TF, as above I removed it and put 10.2 back on but now they have blocked this from working! I thought Microsoft were bad enough doing updates and controlling our computers but Google think they actually own it and can control it and tell us what to use or not to use.

Is there an alternative player?

jaydee

Jul 23, 2011
I'm not with you in berating the transformer I think it's a great machine and yes I had to send my dock back for the battery problem to be repaired. I tried loading the 10.2 software as you suggested and found it wouldn't work with Iplayer closing the browser everytime I tried to run a program. so I uninstalled it. and reloaded flash 11. I have tried to investigate why the Iplayer alone gives the black interruption on the screen when played in full screen and have come to the conclusion that it's the bit rate change. when you open it up to full screen it increases the bit rate from 880 to 1500 which needs a continuous streaming bandwidth of between 2-3 mbs. (mine is just on this limit). What I have tried to find is how to decrease the steaming rate down to 880 in full screen. It says you can do it in the Ipad app. I view iplayer through the browsers bbc mobile web site. I cannot load the designated iplayer app onto the transformer...it tells me that it's not compatible with the transformer...shame. So....Does anybody know how to adjust the bit rate on Iplayer on the mobile viewer....I will probably see if the bbc iplayer forum can come up with an answer.

nataleeps

Mar 6, 2011
I don't know if this problem has been fixed, but I have flash 11.0.1.153 and have had no problems with bbc iplayer.

techman47

Jul 20, 2011
I don't know if this problem has been fixed, but I have flash 11.0.1.153 and have had no problems with bbc iplayer.

Have you tried full screen mode the problem was black flashes coming in from left side of screen. perhaps it has been fixed but I am sticking with 10.3 for now until the fix is confirmed.

richard_no1

Aug 23, 2011
For info., I'm watching live programmes full screen on iplayer with Adobe flash player 11, connected via a HTC Portable hotspot on my mobile phone connected to the 3 network. Perfect. I'm viewing using the stock browser with the User agent string set to Desktop.

jaydee

Jul 23, 2011
Stick with your 10.3 techman the black flash is still happening in full scree with the latest 11 upgrade. What i have found is that if you change the browser to open in deskstop for iplayer you can increase the small screen to almost full (operating 800kbps) and it's ok. So it would seem to be the higher speed in full mode thats causing the trouble. Why it should affect the transformer only is a mystery.