Adobe to end new Flash installs on Aug 15th - No Jelly Bean support

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Adobe-to-end-new-Flash-installs-on-Aug-15th-no-Jelly-Bean-support.jpg

Since the announcement of Jelly Bean, Adobe has come forward reiterating that Flash Player will eventually not be supported on mobile devices. In fact, they just posted in their blog and made it clear that Flash Player is not supported at all on Google's new OS Android 4.1/Jelly Bean. Of course, older devices, or devices that come pre-loaded with Flash and have been certified by Adobe will still function with Flash. In the past, all you had to do was grab a copy of flash player from the Google Play Store and it would probably work with your uncertified device.

Unfortunately, Adobe confirmed that with the release of Android 4.1, they will not certify any device with that OS. Additionally, Adobe indicated that on August 15th, it will configure Flash Player currently in the Play Store to only update devices that already have Flash installed. If the device does not have it installed, then it will not be authorized to download it from the Google Play Store. Additionally, Adobe shared that any device that is upgraded from Android 4.0 to 4.1 will still have Flash Player, they recommend uninstalling it because it will be buggy. It's possible this is mostly a scare tactic, and it may still be mostly functional. Of course when we get to that point in the road it will probably be possible to find the APK online.

By Garemlin at TransformerForums

Source: Phonearena

Last edited:

Natey2

May 25, 2012
So which mobile devices will use Flash moving forward? Not iPhone, not Android, ...
Is HTML-5 the replacement? I hope not QuickTime ;)

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
HTML5 is the way to go, Dolphin Browser HD supports it well if you configure it as 'iPad' under settings.

Oldie versions of Flash apks will be popular once the 'no upgrade unless already installed' kicks in. :p

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Actually I think flash is at the end of its lifespan. People just aren't going to be developing for it anymore I'm afraid. HTML5 appears to be the future.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
doesn't the Chrome browser also support html-5

Yeah, it does, but it needs Android 4.xx to run, so older devices can't use it. Opera 12 is out, Firefox 12 as well, there's HTML5 support in both I believe.

celinelam

Jul 21, 2012
yann2 said:
Yeah, it does, but it needs Android 4.xx to run, so older devices can't use it. Opera 12 is out, Firefox 12 as well, there's HTML5 support in both I believe.

I just got the Google nexus 7..I t doesn't support flash player. The chrome cannot open anything w/ flash player.

Any suggestions, please?

celinelam

Jul 21, 2012
Thanks for the info. I checked the application. It stated that it doesn't support flash as well.

Don't know what to do next?