Advice on buying my first tablet - which one?

elsmandino

May 10, 2012
Hi there,

I am looking to buy a 10" tablet in the next few weeks and I cannot decide which one to get - too many out there and more and more coming out each time.

I have tried to narrow down what I am looking for:

* Good battery life
* External storage options (SD Card, USB etc)
* At least 16GB internal storage
* Will not be used as a laptop (so keyboard dock not required)
* Must be android based - bit of an obvious one, given I am posting in this forum. I know that you can get a cheap last generation ipad, but I personally don't do apple.
* Budget - approximately £350 tops.

I looked at this a few months back and decided that the best choice was the Asus Transformer (the 32GB version) with the additional USB adapter. However, things have moved on since then and I was wondering whether this is still the best option for me - I was hoping that prices would have dropped since the Prime came out but this is not the case. Apparently they are still holding their price as they are quite difficult still to get hold of.

The other tablet I did look at was the Xoom 2, but I have read that this is not as good as the Transformer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

A

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
http://www.redtabletpc.com/rk3066-d...-n90-dualcore-window-n90-dual-core_p2690.html
Hi. This is well worth a look it has all your requirements & is from a trusted seller on this site. Its also way below your budget so you could afford to buy other things such as accessories-top paid apps cases etc.you've nothing to lose in looking..ps this site only sells genuine branded tablets & not oem knock offs. Your choice

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

elsmandino

May 10, 2012
Hi there,

Thanks very much for that - I shall have a look at a few reviews. Certainly is not a tablet that I have ever come accross.

I know it is still expensive and a bit old but do you have any view on the Transformer? Is this a tablet still worth considering these days?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Definitely check out the ASUS TF300T. It is about $380 USD for the 16 GB and $400 USD for the 32 GB. It is spec'd slightly below the Prime, but well above the TF101. Still need the USB adapter.

Also check out the Acer A510. That is another great tablet. I think you need a USB adapter as well to get the USB working, but it is another solid tablet.

I am not sure how the prices are in Euros for these, but take a look and see what you think.

elsmandino

May 10, 2012
Well spotted my man.

This is the first time I have ever heard of the TF300T. I cannot see any reason (from the reviews I have just read) why anyone would consider the original transformer now. They are roughly the same price!

When you refer to the USB adapter - is it that to use USB storage, I would need a micro usb to normal usb female adapter?

Thanks

TheSteve

May 9, 2012
Definitely check out the ASUS TF300T. It is about $380 USD for the 16 GB and $400 USD for the 32 GB. It is spec'd slightly below the Prime, but well above the TF101. Still need the USB adapter.

Also check out the Acer A510. That is another great tablet. I think you need a USB adapter as well to get the USB working, but it is another solid tablet.

I am not sure how the prices are in Euros for these, but take a look and see what you think.

This guy knows what's up. I first bought a Kindle Fire just to be like the "in crowd" but I quickly moved, and bought to the ASUS TF300T 32g (might as well, $20 more to double the space from the 16g) and love it. ASUS is one of my fav brands and they never disappointed me yet. The Acer A510 is a pretty decent tablet overall, just for me, it was a personal choice to snag the ASUS. Either way, I can read on all of them and that's all that matters to me. I gave my wife the Kindle and she enjoys it, but daddy gets the good stuff ;)

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
If you can afford id go asus over acer. Sumthing about them makes me think build quality v price isn't anywhere near as good as even chinese tabs, I know its higher spec in some areas but not enough for the big price hike-asus tho. Seem solid in most areas

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

TheSteve

May 9, 2012
Well if price is an option then yea, I would go with the ASUS over the ACER also. My only concern when looking at tablets is if I can read my emotobooks well. If the quality is good then I'm set. Like in my other post, Ive tried a lot of them in stores, and I found the ASUS was the best in my opinion.

elsmandino

May 10, 2012
Brilliant thanks very much for the advice - I am sold on the TF300. Going to get one ASAP.

My problem is that I don't want the keyboard dock and I cannot find it on sale anywhere in the UK without one.

It must be possible to buy on its own isn't it? Would save wasting £100 approximately on something I will not use.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Brilliant thanks very much for the advice - I am sold on the TF300. Going to get one ASAP.

My problem is that I don't want the keyboard dock and I cannot find it on sale anywhere in the UK without one.

It must be possible to buy on its own isn't it? Would save wasting £100 approximately on something I will not use.

I am not sure how much the TF300 is going for in the UK tablet only. Another option is to purchase it in the US from a site like BHPhotoVideo. They will ship to the UK for about $45 USD, and with duties and VAT it comes to $570 USD which is about £356 for the 32 GB version. I think the TF300 will be £399 if purchased locally. Shipping would only be 3-5 days as well.

Here is a link to the TF300 32 GB in blue on BHPhoto: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/852329-REG/ASUS_TF300T_B1_BL_32GB_Transformer_Pad_TF300T.html

elsmandino

May 10, 2012
Hi there,

I have read a few more reviews and I think I am going to go with the TF300 with the keyboard dock - at least I can buy it in the UK, unlike the A510.

Just before I potentially go for it and risk a potential mistake are there any other tablets I should at least consider before I buy? Samsung, Sony S or potentially even one of the iPads?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Hi there,

I have read a few more reviews and I think I am going to go with the TF300 with the keyboard dock - at least I can buy it in the UK, unlike the A510.

Just before I potentially go for it and risk a potential mistake are there any other tablets I should at least consider before I buy? Samsung, Sony S or potentially even one of the iPads?

Compare the specs. So far, none of the 10" Samsung tablets have ICS yet. Sony S has ICS. I know the TF300 is quad core Tegra 3, Samsung (even the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1) is Dual Core Tegra 2. Not sure about Sony.

My honest opinion of Android vs iPad - Do you like to tinker, or do you want something that there is only ONE WAY to do stuff. I love to tinker, Android is my tablet. My wife does not tinker, iPad is perfect for her.

antonylewar

Mar 12, 2012
Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime. This tablet has good battery life, supports external usb, sd card, 32GB of storage space, android 2.3 edition os and mainly the price of tablet goes around 318 pounds

adyhooper

May 24, 2012
Hi there,

I am looking to buy a 10" tablet in the next few weeks and I cannot decide which one to get - too many out there and more and more coming out each time.

I have tried to narrow down what I am looking for:

* Good battery life
* External storage options (SD Card, USB etc)
* At least 16GB internal storage
* Will not be used as a laptop (so keyboard dock not required)
* Must be android based - bit of an obvious one, given I am posting in this forum. I know that you can get a cheap last generation ipad, but I personally don't do apple.
* Budget - approximately £350 tops.

I looked at this a few months back and decided that the best choice was the Asus Transformer (the 32GB version) with the additional USB adapter. However, things have moved on since then and I was wondering whether this is still the best option for me - I was hoping that prices would have dropped since the Prime came out but this is not the case. Apparently they are still holding their price as they are quite difficult still to get hold of.

The other tablet I did look at was the Xoom 2, but I have read that this is not as good as the Transformer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

A

Well go with ipad 3 it is insanely great. It will be an religious experience to use it and the most amazing thing about is it's HD feature you will love to watch movie and it will give you different Internet experience.