Advice requested on "updating" Craig netbook with possibly corrupted ROM

Brickster

Aug 11, 2012
I recently bought a Craig CLP 281a netbook with ICS, and am quite satisfied with it so far. It does wifi and Skype without hassle, and the factory’s apps seem to work properly- with the exception of one I really wanted on a netbook: Smart Office (1.9.2). On launch, this app displays “chathu_ac Presents -eandroidmarket.com” at the bottom of the screen, above a narrow broken colored strip. After a few moments it reverts to the previous screen. This happens whether online or off, and with or without SD inserted.
My gut feel is that the factory firmware load is corrupted, and Craig tech support wants me to do an “update” using the file(s) from the page linked to their CLP 281a product’s page. My concerns in doing this are:
1) The “Installation Guide” links to a “Page Not Found” page, and I don’t know whether
unusual procedures may apply to this device / firmware. Craig refers me to instructions for
doing a version 2.2 update, which may not be correct in this case.
2) Even if I could correctly perform the “update” procedure, how do I know that my firmware wouldn’t afterward contain the exact same flaw / corruption?
With everything else working well, I’m hesitant to do anything risky, if I didn’t know it would truly fix the problem.
Hoping someone out there has some astute comments, as I‘m holding off loading any more apps that would just get wiped by an update.