After rooting, what features are left, and what features are gone?

lowmann

Apr 28, 2011
Hi, glad to join this forum.

I bought two nook colors for my children, and have a couple of questions before doing something on them.

I really like the way a nook color is, I mean, I want to keep it as it is.
However, doing some web searches, there might be permanent changes on it and never works as it should.

I wonder what those things are.

Can I still keep its screen and the way it looks? Can I download or purchase books and apps via its pre-installed store? Or can I install Android market on it so I may download or purchase thousands of apps directly on it?

I'm a beginner of beginners on nook color. Understand my dump questions.

Thanks.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
rooting basically unlocks the 'hidden' portions of the nook - it lets you use the android market so you can download apps that would have been unavailable to you

rooting might also install a 'launcher' - that is to say an app that serves as the interface for the newly rooted nook. this launcher changes the look somewhat of the nook - but by pressing the home button (typically the 'n' button) you get the option to select which launcher to use -the stock nook (in other words what came with the nook when you bought it) or the new rooted one - so you see you still maintain the functionality

to sum up you really don't lose anything but gain a lot more

I bought two nook colors for my children, and have a couple of questions before doing something on them.

I really like the way a nook color is, I mean, I want to keep it as it is.
However, doing some web searches, there might be permanent changes on it and never works as it should.

I wonder what those things are.

Can I still keep its screen and the way it looks? Can I download or purchase books and apps via its pre-installed store? Or can I install Android market on it so I may download or purchase thousands of apps directly on it?

I'm a beginner of beginners on nook color. Understand my dump questions.

Thanks.

schtuka

Apr 27, 2011
If you bought them for kids to use then you still will be able to control interface so they do not mess them up.
To keep original launcher but be able to see third party installed aps you can backup/replace the AppLauncher in 1.2 with the one from 1.1. I did this for my wife cause she likes the nook launcher. You can do that only if you're rooted.
Apk is linked to my sig.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

That is bad information wherever you found it. None of the changes are permanent and you can always restore your Nook to original factory settings at any time. On top of that the Nook will work better than it ever did in the stock configuration, certainly not worse.

Can I still keep its screen and the way it looks?

Yes and you have the option to do much much more with the screen.

Can I download or purchase books and apps via its pre-installed store?

Yes you will not lose any Nook functionality by rooting (you may lose some featrues if you choose a custom ROM but doing so will also give you more features not available on a rooted Nook)

Or can I install Android market on it so I may download or purchase thousands of apps directly on it?

Yes you can which is why rooting is so great. It gives you so much more than the stock Nook can and really frees the hidden potential of the device.

You have come to the right place to get accurate info. Welcome.

JP