After update wifi will not connect!

4buckz

Jul 9, 2011
After two days of trying everything to fix the problem to connect my acer iconia a 500 to wifi ,and talk with everybody at technical Acer support personal finally i found by myself how to fix it and it is very simple and the best it REALLY WORKS , and here it is : when your tablet it's trying to connect to wifi signal an fall into a loop pinch the reset button an reset the tablet , when the tablet restart , it connects direct to the wifi source and the problem is solve , buala !!!!!!!!!! very simple , and it is all .

Thank you so much. I can verify that this worked for me also!

droid_upton

Jul 9, 2011
I just got off the chat with ACER chat support and they told me to reset my a500... I don't think so!! I called their phone support, but they are closed till Monday!! UGH!!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
After two days of trying everything to fix the problem to connect my acer iconia a 500 to wifi ,and talk with everybody at technical Acer support personal finally i found by myself how to fix it and it is very simple and the best it REALLY WORKS , and here it is : when your tablet it's trying to connect to wifi signal an fall into a loop pinch the reset button an reset the tablet , when the tablet restart , it connects direct to the wifi source and the problem is solve , buala !!!!!!!!!! very simple , and it is all .

There is no reset button.

Please be specific.

Are you suggesting a factory reset with a paperclip?
Are you suggesting a sleep and awaken?
Are you suggesting a full power down and reboot?

salarri

Jul 8, 2011
There is no reset button.

Please be specific.

Are you suggesting a factory reset with a paperclip?
Are you suggesting a sleep and awaken?
Are you suggesting a full power down and reboot?

Of course there is a reset Button , bottom right side , poke with a paper clip when the tablet is trying to connect to your router wifi signal , and that is it .

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
How does one "pinch" an internal button that can only be reached with a paperclip?

You see now why giving clear directions is important?

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
You create a Wifi network with SSID and the security method required, then tap save.
Then long press that network SSID and select Modify settings.

Ah yes. I see now! Believe me I've had my share of fooling around with statis IPs and making sure a router assigns that IP to the correct device. So this would be a last resort, but I wanted to know how to do it just in case.

Thanks,
Gerry

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011

Based on several other posts, doing this type of a reset does seem to work, however I believe it wipes out all of the user installed apps and you have to download them and install them again.

We need to keep pressure on Acer to correct this problem. Supposedly they are aware of it and also supposedly a fix is coming out "soon!"

Gerry

EZguy

Jul 3, 2011
Thank you very much. The reset button trick worked for me, and I didn't lose any apps.... BTW, how could Acer or Google fix this if you can't get online?

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Thank you very much. The reset button trick worked for me, and I didn't lose any apps.... BTW, how could Acer or Google fix this if you can't get online?

Really? I thought I kept reading in other posts that when you use the reset button it deletes all user installed apps. If the user apps are not deleted than this is not that bad of a solution. Of course Acer still needs to correct it as you shouldn't have to use the reset on a continuing basis.

Just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing, this reset is the small hole near the USB ports and you use a paper clip inserted into the hole to do the reset, while the unit is powered on. Correct?

Gerry

GFizzle

Jul 9, 2011
For non-rooted tablets we need a fix from Google. None of the workarounds have worked for me including the paper-clip soft reset while trying to connect to wifi. The only thing that has worked temporarily is the destructive factory reset - but again, that is tempory.

I hope they get an understanding of how to address this for non-rooted tabs soon. In the meantime, I am going to try another factory reset but this time I have all my apps and data saved to the correct sdcard /mnt/external_sd. It is a hassle but won't take all day this time to manually get over 80 free apps back (paid apps occur automagically) and my home screen set correctly.

mulawingalang

Jul 10, 2011
Hi guys! Im new here and I just wanted to share my experience with my Acer Iconia after updating to Honeycomb 3.1

After updating to Honeycomb, it did seem to run faster and better but after how many hours, i wasnt able to connect to any wifi network. That pissed me off... :l

I tried numerous ways to try and fix it, I even tried manually using static ip and reserving an ip address for my tablet and it worked, it did connect but there was no internet.

So I tried resetting my tablet by pressing the reset button beside the usb port. the first reset, no luck, still won't connect but on the second time i reset my device i was able to connect :)

I suggest before you do a factory reset on your device, try resetting your device first 2 times and make sure to forget the wifi networks as well and try reconnecting again.

I hope this helps! So far I've connected to three different wifi networks and experienced no problem at all. :)

P.S. You will NOT lose any of your applications or whatsoever. I actually posted this on another website and thought posting it here also cause it works. :)

cdarbs

Jul 3, 2011

Thank you, Salarri! This fix worked for me and I didn't lose any info or apps. This whole thing was very frustrating. Shame on Acer for rolling out an update that was clearly not ready.

Cdarbs

ant_man

Jul 11, 2011
Thank you, Salarri! This fix worked for me and I didn't lose any info or apps. This whole thing was very frustrating. Shame on Acer for rolling out an update that was clearly not ready.

Cdarbs

Me too. Thanks Salarri. The 3.1 is definitely making the tablet run faster too, so, here's hoping there aren't more problems.....