Ainol Novo Paladin is CRAP

Praxidice

Apr 4, 2012
Just acquired an Ainol Novo Paladin & thankfully the seller has the decency to guarantee 100% buyer satisfaction and accept returns. I can't say anywhere near enough about the issues with the aforementioned device. To call it a piece of unmitigated crap is the understatement of the century ... WiFi connectivity varies from unbelievably bad to totally non-existent, even when the %#$*@ thing appears to be connected its probably not, the claimed 300Mb connection is realistically 10Mb at best and even then it disconnects a millisecond before one finishes typing a lengthy message. Most websites return constant timeouts & even connecting via ethernet (with appropriate adaptor) fails to get around the dropout issues. Given the average mugs obsession with speed, the unimaginable slowness of this thing is sure to have users climbing the walls. Even the neanderthal steam powered XT computer I used back in the late 1980s would run rings around the Ainol. Next there are the hair tearing frustrations one encounters with the Android Market (or Google 'Play' as its known these days). Actually 'Play' might be a more apt description as the only apps available that 'might' be compatible with Android 4 are mindless games like Angry Birds & suchlike nonsense. Personally I haven't a clue whether or not the games are functional because I have neither the time nor the inclination to stuff around with such childlish rubbish. Anyone expecting intelligent apps is certain to be disappointed as they are invariably incompatible with Android 4. Even Google Map navigation facility that works fine on my aging Xperia X8 is totally broken in the Ainol. Mind you thats hardly surprising as the stupid POS insists I'm about 150k north west of where I actually am & for that matter where the Xperia X8 acknowledges I am. Don't even think of 'turn by turn' ... apart from the inability to know where its starting from, the incompatibility with text to speech apps and the propensity to decide where one is going before the destination is even entered (typically the opposite direction), Ainol is obviously so far up its fundamental orifice that it doesn't know whether the time of day is midday or midnight !!!!

Last edited:

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
I think you can blame a fair amount of this on ics. It is still in its infancy and many apps are not ready to run properly on it. There are a few firmware upgrades that could help solve many of your problems, but I think its a bit of a wait and see game at the moment. I have heard good and bad about the paladin and most of it seems based on it being ics4.0.1 there are 4.0.3 upgrades out there now which as stated, may help. It could be you just got a duff device but I would check what other users think and look at upgrades before returning. Personally for the money they're selling these at, I wouldn't set my sights too highly but i'd give it a chance first. Hope you get what you're looking for one way or the other.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

Praxidice

Apr 4, 2012
After this experience I wouldn't touch an Ainol anything again with a barge pole, nor would I recommended such an ill-conceived POS to even my worst enemy. The maufacturers should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for releasing such a useless device before it can be properly supported. I disagree with your thoughts on upgrading the operating system because that can only exacerbate the already terminal issues with Google Play & also the abysmally poor WiFi functionality. What evil possesses Google Maps is beyond me, especially since it works fine with older versions. Even Microcrap has the nous to fix some of the serious issues with a new release before lumbering its poor unsuspecting customers with a 200% lemon. The only things I'm thankful about are that an earlier intending purchase of a different but comparable ICS device from a HongKong seller was aborted & the Ainol seller has promised a full refund.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Check out tgread by sokoll99 he answers a lot of your issues about paladin

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
I,m still considering one of these for my son so I take on board what you're saying but, as I'm tied to a shoestring budget, I can't really afford to look elswhere. Maybe thetes a similar priced device that works better on ics or honeycomb perhaps?

Praxidice

Apr 4, 2012
It might be cheap but is 'cheap & nasty' a benefit to anyone ?? I doubt that ICS is within years of being halfway usable given the obvious anomosity demonstrated by Google Play. Given their insistence on doing everything at breakneck speed, no juvenile on Planet Earth would accept the unbelievably slow response to the simplest request & the re-discovery of the 'world wide wait' syndrome previously associated with steam powered computers & dialup internet. In short, if you can't afford anything better, do yourself a favour and don't waste your hard earned dollars on this POS. Personally I'm gonna give this tablet nonsense away as a bad joke & go get a new netbook to replace the 3 year Asus EeePC I sold because I figured it has passed its use-by date. At least netbooks have a fair excuse for a keyboard, most apps are compatible, navigation works like it should & there are countless properly sorted out 'apps' available. Even Microcrap Windoze is better sorted than this ICS male cow dropping !!!!!

Androidinabox

Mar 15, 2012
I,m still considering one of these for my son so I take on board what you're saying but, as I'm tied to a shoestring budget, I can't really afford to look elswhere. Maybe thetes a similar priced device that works better on ics or honeycomb perhaps?

Hi, Ainol Novo 7 Paladin is $89.99 only with FREE shipping.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Sometimes I suppose its better to quit ahead. I have a 9.7" chinese tab and after my old wm8650 mid its a dream to use, maybe my expectations aren't that high but its good for web, games, e reading etc. I don't really know what their full capabilities are, only what I use it for. It has ics 4.0.3 and tho' it won't load some games, I'm not that bothered. Everything else is fine screen is a dream to use, Maybe the paladin, being so cheap has cut too many corners but don't let that put you off tablets altogether. There are some very good low price tablets out there. Maybe do a bit of research on them ( I certainly did!) Before parting with any hard earned cash.

Praxidice

Apr 4, 2012
Sometimes I suppose its better to quit ahead. I have a 9.7" chinese tab and after my old wm8650 mid its a dream to use, maybe my expectations aren't that high but its good for web, games, e reading etc. I don't really know what their full capabilities are, only what I use it for. It has ics 4.0.3 and tho' it won't load some games, I'm not that bothered. Everything else is fine screen is a dream to use, Maybe the paladin, being so cheap has cut too many corners but don't let that put you off tablets altogether. There are some very good low price tablets out there. Maybe do a bit of research on them ( I certainly did!) Before parting with any hard earned cash.

I don't believe my requirements are unusual

Firstly, I expect a device offered for sale should work acceptably out of the box without needing all sorts of messing around with (that will undoubtedly negate any warranty)

Secondly, I expect WiFi to work ALL THE TIME, not just when the moronic device decides its in the mood

Thirdly, I expect unrestricted access to Android Market (which seems somewhat different to Android Play despite the latter being mooted as the replacement)

Fourthly, I expect navigation (at least the Google Map version) to work without stupid 'features' like mistaking my present location by 150k !!!!'

etc etc etc

tebee

Apr 6, 2012
Fourthly, I expect navigation (at least the Google Map version) to work without stupid 'features' like mistaking my present location by 150k !!!!'

Paladin does not have a GPS module so it's not going to know where you are !

Praxidice

Apr 4, 2012
Google Maps doesn't need satellite GPS, it can find its way quite well using mobile phone towers, well at least an Android device with functional Google Map application can .... obviously the system in ICS is so badly broken the stupid thing can't even get starting location correct within 100 kilometers !!!! To add insult to injury, text to speech is deaf & dumb too. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
I know what you're saying & I agre with most but other owners seem to be happy. Maybe they'll iron out the rough spots with the tornado model that's replacing it. I can't afford anything more so I'm biding my time & checking posts, reviews etc. With anything there's a risk but if it will meet my sons needs ( basically gaming, facebook, youtube etc I'll be happy enough. He wants ipad ipad ipad!! Coz his school chums have them. I'm trying to get him to see android is better but we all know kids are driven by envy. They want what they see.

iSnoop

Jul 1, 2013
I know what you're saying & I agre with most but other owners seem to be happy. Maybe they'll iron out the rough spots with the tornado model that's replacing it. I can't afford anything more so I'm biding my time & checking posts, reviews etc. With anything there's a risk but if it will meet my sons needs ( basically gaming, facebook, youtube etc I'll be happy enough. He wants ipad ipad ipad!! Coz his school chums have them. I'm trying to get him to see android is better but we all know kids are driven by envy. They want what they see.

Exactly what is there to be happy about? Even after setting the device language to english, one could still barely understand what is on the tablet. Why sell the device outside of China if they can't make translaate everything on the tablet in other languages?