AINOL NOVO8 8 GB 1280x768 HD Screen ???

DJACID

May 7, 2011
Ainol Novo 8
It says this tablet has a 8" Capacitive 1280x768 Screen is this correct???
for the price no way can this be right but the sellers i ask on ebay all said the same thing,

$ainol-NOVO8 (9).jpg$ainol-NOVO8 (10).jpg$ainol-NOVO8 (11).jpg$ainol-NOVO8 (12).jpg$ainol-NOVO8 (13).jpg

ARM Cortex-A9 AML8726-M, Mali-400 ,Support OpenGL ES 2.0
external 3G usb stick
512MB DDR II
8GB , Support Micro SD Card to 32GB
8 " capacitance touch screen, 1280x768 HD Screen
On-board wireless 802.11b/g module. bluetooth 2.1+EDR
0.3MP front camera , support online chat (need software and system support)
Android 2.2 OS ,Support Original Flash 10.1 , over 30,0000 software
Speaker, Microphone 3.5mm (stereo) headset jack
1080P TS , AVI , MKV , VOB , WMV , ASF , PMP , RM , RMVB , MOV , FLV , H.263 , H.264 , MPEG4 , VP8 , RV , AVS
Multilanguage (Android 2.2 )
512g
2.5-3 hours
Android Market , Office Suite , word , pdf , excel , PDF ,Google Gmail , website browser , youtube , flash 10.1 , online flash video , super fast android 2.2 os , multitouching game , g-sensor game , 3d game , multitouching website browsing , 2.0MP Camera ,HDMI output , track ball ,
USB Cable , Earphone , Remote Control, manual , warranty card,DC Charger

Processor
3G
RAM
Memory
Screen
Wireless
Camera
OS
Audio
Video
Language
Dimension
Battery
Features
Package include

DJACID

May 7, 2011
4 replys back all Confirmed that this does have a 8' 1280x768 HD Screen with 5-point multi-touch,
Quadrant Benchmark score 2188 cost $245

Last edited by a moderator:

ompudsman

Mar 19, 2011
@xuan1982

how is it? :) how long does battery last? did you upgrade to latest firmware, i saw in their site they have new firmware dates jun27.

gfz

Apr 22, 2011
@xuan1982

how is it? :) how long does battery last? did you upgrade to latest firmware, i saw in their site they have new firmware dates jun27.

The Novo 8 is a fantastic well built tablet with a beautiful screen!
I wasn't much of a fan of the 8 inch tablets but with it being widescreen im loving it!

Not had time to fully test the battery duration but would guess around 3-5 hours depending on use etc...

Other than some firmware versions having android market and some not, plus being set to chinese language as default and no 3G dongle support..everything works just the way it should which is quite an achievement for a new tablet!

Would love to see some custom firmware being worked on for the Novo 8.

A new firmware is coming very soon with 3G dongle support :)

Here is another demo of the novo 8

Last edited by a moderator:

gfz

Apr 22, 2011
A new firmware with 3G dongle support will be available very soon, hopefully within a week.

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
I received an Ainol Novo8, a couple of days ago, that I purchased from merimobiles.com and I thought I'd give you a brief overview of what I think about it. The Novo8 came with firmware dated 2011/06/27.

To start with the Novo8 is my fifth tablet (my sixth if you count one I returned). Here they are in the order of purchase: Velocity Cruz T301, Pocketbook IQ701, Coby 7014 and the Herotab MID816. My primary use of tablets is as an ereader or to view video clips or photos, although I do check email and browse the web. I mention this so that you can judge my biases.

Where the Novo8 really shines is in video playback. It has played every format I have thrown at it without fault! The only format I haven't tried is AVCHD but I will shoot some soon and give it a try. The speaker(s)? are pretty loud and the quality is as good as you will get in a tablet. You can watch a movie and listen without earphones, but not up to music standards. This deserves an A+

I would give the screen an A+ if it weren't for the resolution (1280X768 186dpi) which is much more than required for an 8" screen. A 186dpi resolution allows to much data on a screen making it hard for my old eyes to read (I have to get out a magnifying glass to read some of the menus). I would be much happier with a screen resolution of 1024X614 150dpi). The color is pretty good although slightly under saturated. I guess the viewing angle to be about 30 degrees, which is sufficient for my needs. I give the screen an B+.

The build quality is not bad. All plastic, but sturdy and nice looking. One thing of note: Both the 7" Coby and the 8" Novo have the same aspect ratio (16:9.6) but the Novo is only 3/8" wider and 5/8" longer and only adds an ounce.

I like buttons and the Novo has them well placed and they feel good. All of the buttons are placed along one narrow side. When held in landscape mode on the right side, starting right below the camera from top to bottom they are: Power, Vol+, Vol-, Search, Menu, Home and Back. Right below the Back button is a trackball. The trackball is touchy but I think it will come in handy as soon as learn to use it.

All of the ports are under the buttons with the full sized USB (host), the mini USB (device) and the mini HDMI ports recessed behind a cover. You have to turn the Novo over to remove another cover so that you can add or remove the micro SD card. I can not use any of my SD card readers and not many of my thumb drives because there is not enough room around the host port. If the host port were not recessed there would be no problem since they all work well when attached via an extension cable. I had no problems using a wired keyboard or a wireless mouse. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse that uses a single receiver on order and I will see if the Novo will support both at the same time.

Like most tablets, the battery meter is unreliable and the battery doesn't last very long. I get about 5.5 hours as an ereader, about 4.0 hours browsing the web and about 3.0 hours viewing videos This is my major complaint. It will not charge over a USB port, but you can use it while charging (nice long power cable helps).

I received the Novo running Android 2.2.1 with a promise of an upgrade to gingerbread in the near future. I probably won't upgrade unless there is an improvement in the battery life.

Below is a link to MeriMobiles, where I bought the Novo, that has complete specs and a video. (I have no financial or any other interest in MeriMobiles)

http://www.merimobiles.com/Ainol_NO...eri0647.html?gclid=CIvDwKv-1KkCFYgW2godC2vfNA

Over all, this is a very nice tablet and I think it will serve me well. Comments and/or questions are welcome.

Regards - John

Odd thoughts:

A remote control unit came with the Novo but I have no idea how to use it or what it can do since the manual was in Chinese and I don't speak Chinese and certainly don't read it.

The Apple iPad and the Coby both have 132dpi resolution which is OK with me. Years ago I read, somewhere, that 144dpi was the optimum resolution between sharpness and cost. In which case 988X593 would be right for the Novo and 1120X840 for the Apple iPad. I believe this to be true. I played the same video side-by-side on a 186 and a 132dpi tablet and did not perceive a significant difference. When I played the same video at 125 and 132dpi side-by-side, I did. I'm sure part of it, but not all, had to do with the quality of the screens.

I'm not sure that a good resistive screen isn't as good as an capacitive screen. My fingers are to big to easily make selections on a capacitive screen (not even a stylus helps much on the Novo) but I have no problem tapping on a selection and scrolling with a finger nail on a resistive screen. If somebody made a resistive multi touch that allowed two finger zooming, I would go with the resistive screen

The Novo speakers can't be seen. There is a about a three inch slit in the back that is apparently to allow air to pass, and it seems the back is used as a sounding board.

My son has an Acer Iconia and in a side-by-side screen comparison the Novo came out ahead. As a finger print magnate the Acer wins hand down. The Novo must have done something to the screen to impede finger prints because my fingers are as oily as the next guys and when I used a, freshly cleaned, Acer or Cruz (both capacitive screens) they looked really bad in no time. My same fingers don't seem to bother the Novo.

This would be an A+ tablet if it did the following (in order of importance):
1-Add two hours to the battery life.
2-Make 1024X640 150dpi the screen resolution. Add IPS technology for an A++
3-Mount the USB and HDMI ports flush with the side and remove the cover.

Last edited:

Tahmed

Jul 23, 2011
Hello, I received an Ainol novo8 8 inch tablet this month with android ver.2.2.1 kernel ver. 2.6.34 v0520_13_809_D5_CHTJ_A38. My build ver. V0520.13-C_CH@20110627. Hopefully the tablet came with the latest version of firmware which is 20110627 (if I am not wrong). But I want to know whether this will support USB Bluetooth adapter dongle as it has no built-in Bluetooth? If yes then which Bluetooth version? Please help me with detail even the answer is negative.

yeahman45

Apr 2, 2011
I received an Ainol Novo8, a couple of days ago, that I purchased from merimobiles.com and I thought I'd give you a brief overview of what I think about it. The Novo8 came with firmware dated 2011/06/27.

To start with the Novo8 is my fifth tablet (my sixth if you count one I returned). Here they are in the order of purchase: Velocity Cruz T301, Pocketbook IQ701, Coby 7014 and the Herotab MID816. My primary use of tablets is as an ereader or to view video clips or photos, although I do check email and browse the web. I mention this so that you can judge my biases.

Where the Novo8 really shines is in video playback. It has played every format I have thrown at it without fault! The only format I haven't tried is AVCHD but I will shoot some soon and give it a try. The speaker(s)? are pretty loud and the quality is as good as you will get in a tablet. You can watch a movie and listen without earphones, but not up to music standards. This deserves an A+

I would give the screen an A+ if it weren't for the resolution (1280X768 186dpi) which is much more than required for an 8" screen. A 186dpi resolution allows to much data on a screen making it hard for my old eyes to read (I have to get out a magnifying glass to read some of the menus). I would be much happier with a screen resolution of 1024X614 150dpi). The color is pretty good although slightly under saturated. I guess the viewing angle to be about 30 degrees, which is sufficient for my needs. I give the screen an B+.

The build quality is not bad. All plastic, but sturdy and nice looking. One thing of note: Both the 7" Coby and the 8" Novo have the same aspect ratio (16:9.6) but the Novo is only 3/8" wider and 5/8" longer and only adds an ounce.

I like buttons and the Novo has them well placed and they feel good. All of the buttons are placed along one narrow side. When held in landscape mode on the right side, starting right below the camera from top to bottom they are: Power, Vol+, Vol-, Search, Menu, Home and Back. Right below the Back button is a trackball. The trackball is touchy but I think it will come in handy as soon as learn to use it.

All of the ports are under the buttons with the full sized USB (host), the mini USB (device) and the mini HDMI ports recessed behind a cover. You have to turn the Novo over to remove another cover so that you can add or remove the micro SD card. I can not use any of my SD card readers and not many of my thumb drives because there is not enough room around the host port. If the host port were not recessed there would be no problem since they all work well when attached via an extension cable. I had no problems using a wired keyboard or a wireless mouse. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse that uses a single receiver on order and I will see if the Novo will support both at the same time.

Like most tablets, the battery meter is unreliable and the battery doesn't last very long. I get about 5.5 hours as an ereader, about 4.0 hours browsing the web and about 3.0 hours viewing videos This is my major complaint. It will not charge over a USB port, but you can use it while charging (nice long power cable helps).

I received the Novo running Android 2.2.1 with a promise of an upgrade to gingerbread in the near future. I probably won't upgrade unless there is an improvement in the battery life.

Below is a link to MeriMobiles, where I bought the Novo, that has complete specs and a video. (I have no financial or any other interest in MeriMobiles)

Ainol NOVO 8 1080P Android 2.2 8GB Cortex A9 HDMI 8.0 inch 1280x768+trackball

Over all, this is a very nice tablet and I think it will serve me well. Comments and/or questions are welcome.

Regards - John

Odd thoughts:

A remote control unit came with the Novo but I have no idea how to use it or what it can do since the manual was in Chinese and I don't speak Chinese and certainly don't read it.

The Apple iPad and the Coby both have 132dpi resolution which is OK with me. Years ago I read, somewhere, that 144dpi was the optimum resolution between sharpness and cost. In which case 988X593 would be right for the Novo and 1120X840 for the Apple iPad. I believe this to be true. I played the same video side-by-side on a 186 and a 132dpi tablet and did not perceive a significant difference. When I played the same video at 125 and 132dpi side-by-side, I did. I'm sure part of it, but not all, had to do with the quality of the screens.

I'm not sure that a good resistive screen isn't as good as an capacitive screen. My fingers are to big to easily make selections on a capacitive screen (not even a stylus helps much on the Novo) but I have no problem tapping on a selection and scrolling with a finger nail on a resistive screen. If somebody made a resistive multi touch that allowed two finger zooming, I would go with the resistive screen

The Novo speakers can't be seen. There is a about a three inch slit in the back that is apparently to allow air to pass, and it seems the back is used as a sounding board.

My son has an Acer Iconia and in a side-by-side screen comparison the Novo came out ahead. As a finger print magnate the Acer wins hand down. The Novo must have done something to the screen to impede finger prints because my fingers are as oily as the next guys and when I used a, freshly cleaned, Acer or Cruz (both capacitive screens) they looked really bad in no time. My same fingers don't seem to bother the Novo.

This would be an A+ tablet if it did the following (in order of importance):
1-Add two hours to the battery life.
2-Make 1024X640 150dpi the screen resolution. Add IPS technology for an A++
3-Mount the USB and HDMI ports flush with the side and remove the cover.

have you tried lcd density to reduce your dpi?? i am interested in this tablet and i too think the resolution on an 8inch 16:9 is way too high! why that high? if you can try lcd density and tell me if it works, that would help me to make my decision on whether to buy the novo8 or not... if you could also try games with a lower dpi too to see if it works please.. thx

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
have you tried lcd density to reduce your dpi?? i am interested in this tablet and i too think the resolution on an 8inch 16:9 is way too high! why that high? if you can try lcd density and tell me if it works, that would help me to make my decision on whether to buy the novo8 or not... if you could also try games with a lower dpi too to see if it works please.. thx
The LCD density is now set at 160 and I'll try between 200 and 230 if I can root this thing. I'm going to hunt up a copy of z4root and if I'm able to change the density I'll get back.

**EDIT** I ended up setting the density to 220 and it helps a lot. The build.prop text was so small I had to use "com.beansoft.lcd_density_changer.v3.2.apk" to change the density. I'm not a gamer but Angry Bird and the Fruit Slicer thing that came pre-installed, looked fine to me.

Regards - John

Last edited:

darkdenim

Jul 25, 2011
Aloha. I received my Novo8 tablet on Monday and I've been using it as an e-reader. I'm happy with it so far.

yeahman45

Apr 2, 2011
The LCD density is now set at 160 and I'll try between 200 and 230 if I can root this thing. I'm going to hunt up a copy of z4root and if I'm able to change the density I'll get back.

**EDIT** I ended up setting the density to 220 and it helps a lot. The build.prop text was so small I had to use "com.beansoft.lcd_density_changer.v3.2.apk" to change the density. I'm not a gamer but Angry Bird and the Fruit Slicer thing that came pre-installed, looked fine to me.

Regards - John

thx for trying it! do you have any issue for other apps with this density? I think by default, things are too small on NOVO8 but if lcd density works well, then i think i will consider buying the NOVO8 :) .... is reading better at density 220?

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
thx for trying it! do you have any issue for other apps with this density? I think by default, things are too small on NOVO8 but if lcd density works well, then i think i will consider buying the NOVO8 :) .... is reading better at density 220?
I finally ended up at 260 and everything looks OK. The only real problem I have with the Novo8 is the battery life, but I can live with it.

I didn't have much touble getting root on the Nova. I forget where I got the APK's but here are the ones I used.

LCD_density_changer.v3.2.apk
Root Check.apk
rootexplorer.apk
Superuser_2.3.6.1_ef.apk
z4root.1.3.0.apk

If you have problems finding the files let me know and maybe I can zip them up and find a place to park them for you. (I just zipped them up and they come to 2.64M - maybe park them here.?)

Regards - John