Air card for g tablet

DuckyJazz

May 8, 2011
Since I do not have any hot spots to connect to while I'm at work, was wondering if you can use a USB air card for internet connection?

My tablet is ViewSonic Android version 2.2 build FRF91.

Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks, Betty

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Not that it doesn't exist but, to my knowledge, I have never heard of it working with any ROM.

Hunterjones35

May 20, 2011
I too would love to have the ability to use my 4G verizon air card with my gtab. If anyone has info on this I for one would love to learn more.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
how are you using your AirCards now? Are they plugged into your laptops? This would be a function on the Aircard side of things, unless it is that you want to plug it directly into the tablet.

I would think that if the AirCard simply needs USB power to operate, and then it broadcasts a WiFi connection you could do it. If there is a USB connection that has to be made from the tablet to the AC directly, I don't think anyone has written the necessary code yet.

DuckyJazz

May 8, 2011
I got the AirCard for the tablet but the USB connection on the tablet doesn't recognize it. I do not have a SmartPhone to use for a hot spot. Was hoping the AirCard would work. Wish there was code for it.

Thanks for all your answers.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Ask over at XDA where the devs are. Someone might be intrested and do it.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
What service are you getting the air time with Betty?.... if all you're needing is an on the go hot spot.... Virgin mobile has the best rates that i've seen WITHOUT a contract (no contrat means you can turn it off and on from month to month if you find you're not using it)

Unlimited data over 3G for $50/month, $20/month for 500MB or $10/10 days with 100MB .. and they have a MiFi Hot spot modem that'll allow 5 connections... it's small and self powered... used it for a while myself and it's acceptable for most things... streaming movies seemed to be a bit much for it though alot of caching (at least when i was trying it on my Wii, it might be different on the Gtab with the new Netfix app)... for general browsing or eamil and what not it was deffinatly fine.

Using the MIFI you would just connect to it like you would any other wifi hotspot....

Broadband2Go - 3G Mobile Broadband Service | Virgin Mobile

you can usually pick these up at Best Buy or Radio Shack on sale from time to time. I'd check there before ordering from the website.....

Last edited:

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
I would suggest a "MiFi" type of solutions - Entertainment and Apps from Verizon Wireless - Mobile Hotspot

You did not mention carrier. So I just picked one...
This card is a mobile hotspot so the gTab would connect through the WiFi connection.
This would work with any of the ROM's which have WiFi enabled...

What phone do you carry? I have a Droid X and have been able to connect my gTab...

Hope this helps!!! Dan

dmcfarland

May 15, 2011
How come they haven't written a kernel that includes an ethernet interface and a driver for a 3g stick? It really sounds like a software issue for me. Hopefully someone in the "know" will realize this and create a kernel that facilitates that.

beastman

May 8, 2011
What nic foes the dock have or does it depend on which dock? Nice to learn it doesn't work before unit the dock.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
How come they haven't written a kernel that includes an ethernet interface and a driver for a 3g stick? It really sounds like a software issue for me. Hopefully someone in the "know" will realize this and create a kernel that facilitates that.

It is pretty much a software issue true, but keep in mind you are looking at a hardware platform that initially didn't have USB ports envisaged as part of the architecture. I can say from my experience with similar types of things, as a developer you start with all of the "must-haves" and only when you get those done can you move on to the "makes-sense" types of things.

That being said, not having ethernet as part of the core right from the get go was a big miss IMHO..

IndyLateNite

Mar 14, 2011
What service are you getting the air time with Betty?.... if all you're needing is an on the go hot spot.... Virgin mobile has the best rates that i've seen WITHOUT a contract (no contrat means you can turn it off and on from month to month if you find you're not using it)

Unlimited data over 3G for $50/month, $20/month for 500MB or $10/10 days with 100MB .. and they have a MiFi Hot spot modem that'll allow 5 connections... it's small and self powered... used it for a while myself and it's acceptable for most things... streaming movies seemed to be a bit much for it though alot of caching (at least when i was trying it on my Wii, it might be different on the Gtab with the new Netfix app)... for general browsing or eamil and what not it was deffinatly fine.

Using the MIFI you would just connect to it like you would any other wifi hotspot....

Broadband2Go - 3G Mobile Broadband Service | Virgin Mobile

you can usually pick these up at Best Buy or Radio Shack on sale from time to time. I'd check there before ordering from the website.....

I just picked up one of these and they work great! If you go through Wal-Mart, they have a special that lets you get 1 GB a month for $20.00. When you need to top off your service, just purchase a new card, activate it on the website and you're good to go.

dmcfarland

May 15, 2011
I totally agree. I used to do IT work and that is how I did things when setting up a PC. Not having an ethernet interface that can support a 3g stick was a swing and a miss from the people at viewsonic. I am sure at some point the people at XDA will come up with it. After all droid is built on a linux kernel.

JWAYAD

Aug 10, 2012
Has there been any new developments with using a Verizon USB Air Card in the USB port of my Acer A200?