Aishuo S2 - to buy or not to buy?

Berserk

Dec 18, 2011
Ok i've bought the Aishuo S2 from mcbub for my dad and I have to prepare it for him.

I have a few gripes with this tablet.

1) I have bought the 1024*768 version, but how do I check that I have indeed the 'hd' version of the S2 tablet? There is nothing written like this anywhere on the tablet or in settings? I hate to think that they gave me the 800*600 version instead when I payed for the 1024*768 version!

2) I don't have full market acces? I live in Belgium and I can't look up apps that would normally appear when I use my Motorola smartphone. I want to install Skype it should work for tablets. I tried with https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobile.dexia&hl=nl But is says: "this app is not compatible for your "T-Mobile Unknown Full Android on S5PVV210" grrrr!!! :mad: And wth?? T -mobile??

Is there any way to have full market acces? I tried marketenabler but it just says "we got a problem houston" Maybe you have to root the device right? Ok next point then:

3) How to root the Aishuo S2? I tried with Gingerbreak but is doesn't work. It needs an mounted Sd card. Wich is my next point!

4) How to mount an external Sd card? When i put my 8gb sdhc card (i formatted it with fat32) in the device is says "preparing tflash" card. But when I go to settings and storage it doesn't display my sd card. But I can acces the card in two ways: ES file explorer (an app that was pre-installed on the aishuo s2) and then acces tflash folder (next to other folders like Android, Backups, DCIM, Lost.DIR, SlideME) or hook up the tablet to your computer, acces F drive and then choose tflash folder. The external sd card shows up like a folder but not an actual Sd card that should show in Settings- storage!!

5) is there official firmware available? Is ICS (android 4.0) going to be available?

Last edited:

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Alright. I will give it a shot. Your questions with answers below.

Ok i've bought the Aishuo S2 from mcbub for my dad and I have to prepare it for him.

I have a few gripes with this tablet.

1) I have bought the 1024*768 version, but how do I check that I have indeed the 'hd' version of the S2 tablet? There is nothing written like this anywhere on the tablet or in settings? I hate to think that they gave me the 800*600 version instead when I payed for the 1024*768 version!

Not sure here ..other than compare your invoice with the information listed on McBub. You might try .. 'Settings'; 'About Devive'. My kernal info says "26.35.7bena-a2p3+Bena@Bena#1207". From what I have seen so far of McBub ..if you ordered the higher pricing Asihuo S2 on their site ..you got the HD version. They seem to be honest.

2) I don't have full market acces? I live in Belgium and I can't look up apps that would normally appear when I use my Motorola smartphone. I want to install Skype it should work for tablets. I tried with https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobile.dexia&hl=nl But is says: "this app is not compatible for your "T-Mobile Unknown Full Android on S5PVV210" grrrr!!! :mad: And wth?? T -mobile??

Do you have a Google mail account set up? All I had to do for full access was follow the prompts with username and password.

Mine is listed as an T Mobile device also.

Is there any way to have full market acces? I tried marketenabler but it just says "we got a problem houston" Maybe you have to root the device right? Ok next point then:

3) How to root the Aishuo S2? I tried with Gingerbreak but is doesn't work. It needs an mounted Sd card. Wich is my next point!

I too may root in the near future (if I keep this tablet). From my reading ..to root the S2 may be (should be?) the same as rooting other Samsung 210 chip tablets. For now I have bigger fish to fry.

4) How to mount an external Sd card? When i put my 8gb sdhc card (i formatted it with fat32) in the device is says "preparing tflash" card. But when I go to settings and storage it doesn't display my sd card. But I can acces the card in two ways: ES file explorer (an app that was pre-installed on the aishuo s2) and then acces tflash folder (next to other folders like Android, Backups, DCIM, Lost.DIR, SlideME) or hook up the tablet to your computer, acces F drive and then choose tflash folder. The external sd card shows up like a folder but not an actual Sd card that should show in Settings- storage!!

You are accessing it correctly. I am pretty sure 'Storage' only shows the internal flash available.

5) is there official firmware available? Is ICS (android 4.0) going to be available?

Not yet, but is supposed to be in the future. That is one of the reasons I bought the S2.

Now ..this comment. I hope that you have a good version. MiXu and I both have issues with the screen going grey with messed up colors, lower resolution. He has had a lot more input than I with McBub trying to fix it ..to no avail so far. I have determined if by Monday 9am their time to send the tablet back if there is no resolution.

Save your energy. If yours is right ..you should have a nice tablet. The rooting and other issues are minor and can be resolved easily with time. Your main watch for now should be to make sure your unit is not plagued with the same issues that MiXu and I have had.

As for rooting ..not sure why you would want to do this if you get market access ...especially since it will be your Dad's. I would keep things as simple as possible for him.

I wish you well.

Last edited:

MiXu

Dec 2, 2011
Again, quick visit...

"Android System Info" shows all kind of info of Your device, including resolution. Available from Market.

That T-Mobile comes from apn settings, remove it from networks, easily with "APN manager", or straight from device settings.

Rooting with adb might be possible same way as A816 or 820, see other post about that in this forum.

Berserk

Dec 18, 2011
SUCCES!!! I succesfully rooted the Aishu s2 with this method

Aishuo A816 MiniPad - Wiki

Don't worry the A816 drivers also work for the S2, i think they both use the same firmware.

Now I can gain full acces to the market (another method you have to do). Before a lot of apps were blocked out, I read this is typical with chinese tablets

Read this Android Market avaiable in China once again | Android Community

Chinese Android users don’t have access to an app-based Market like the rest of the world – they’re restricted to a web-based Android Market similar to Android.com. Google’s services are heavily regulated and censored in the authoritarian nation, though not for lack of trying. Hacks into Chinese dissidents’ Gmail accounts by persons unknown (wink) are common, and according to web service Great Firewall of China, the webmail service is still blocked in all of mainland China.

MiXu

Dec 2, 2011
Great job Berserk!

Did You follow rooting instructions just as they are? And verified with Root Checker?

I'll give that a try, so much good things come with rooting, Titanium backup, fastboot and so on. In my opinion rooting is a must for every Android device.

EDIT: Done that, my S2 now rooted. And everything backed up with Titanium.

Last edited:

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Great job Berserk!

Did You follow rooting instructions just as they are? And verified with Root Checker?

I'll give that a try, so much good things come with rooting, Titanium backup, fastboot and so on. In my opinion rooting is a must for every Android device.

EDIT: Done that, my S2 now rooted. And everything backed up with Titanium.

Anything else from McBub to fix the screen problem? I have get nothing from them ...no files, no downloads, no suggestions.
They are difficult to get to respond so far.

MiXu

Dec 2, 2011
Anything else from McBub to fix the screen problem? I have get nothing from them ...no files, no downloads, no suggestions.
They are difficult to get to respond so far.

Still waiting...Only file they have provided is the one I linked earlier. I'll bare situation at the moment just keeping tablet on all the time. If rebooting, I'll just wait for a while before powering it up.

I still believe they will get color issue fixed. I'm also pretty sure it's soft(firm)ware problem. Hardware malfunction would not behave like that.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Still waiting...Only file they have provided is the one I linked earlier. I'll bare situation at the moment just keeping tablet on all the time. If rebooting, I'll just wait for a while before powering it up.

I still believe they will get color issue fixed. I'm also pretty sure it's soft(firm)ware problem. Hardware malfunction would not behave like that.

You have a lot of patience, my friend ..and faith ! Not sure how long I will hold out.

Interestingly ..as I learn the in's and out's of the Android OS, I am now seeing it is almost a must to root these tabs. There is no other way to actually control certain things ...like the 'Cell Standby', which on my unit ..shows 51% battery usage. Wow! That is WAY more usage than any other component. No wonder the battery seems to drain quicker than I thought it should !

I will wait to root for now ..though. If I end up sending this back (and it looks as if I will) ..might as well be close to what they sent me !

:)

Berserk

Dec 18, 2011
Damn what's wrong now!??? The screen is all messed up!! Ok you all know I succesfully rooted the Aishuo S2, then a few hours later I decided to do the Market fix, i tried with this method. Herotab MID816 - Enable Full Market Access - SlateDroid.com

Then I powered down and restart the tablet but the colors are all wrong, the bootup screen is grey, the earth screen is red,...everything is like messed up!

Is this what you experience also Mixx and Bamapanda? What to do now?

Berserk

Dec 18, 2011
Ok i fixed it. I just tried to open it but to no avail. The screws loosen but I can't get them out. I tried to pry it a little bit open but no I couldn't open the cover. Ok then I gave up and I rebooted the tablet. To my big surprise the screen is now just fine!!

Ok what happened? I think that the screen or a graphics chip or whatever had to much pressure on it and when I tried to pry the cover open, the pressure was relieved. I noticed that when I place the tablet on a flat surface and I tap on the screen (to write or someting) the lcd screen ripples like there is something from behind the screen ging pressure on it. Maybe the screen had to much pressure on it for a certain time??

I don't know, I'm glad it works for now... The full market fix didn't work and I'm doubting if I should go on with it....

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Damn what's wrong now!??? The screen is all messed up!! Ok you all know I succesfully rooted the Aishuo S2, then a few hours later I decided to do the Market fix, i tried with this method. Herotab MID816 - Enable Full Market Access - SlateDroid.com

Then I powered down and restart the tablet but the colors are all wrong, the bootup screen is grey, the earth screen is red,...everything is like messed up!

Is this what you experience also Mixx and Bamapanda? What to do now?

I don't think the root did it. Mine has not been rooted.
Yes. Exactly.
Hope for a fix or send it back.

And your other post.
"Ok what happened? I think that the screen or a graphics chip or whatever had to much pressure on it and when I tried to pry the cover open, the pressure was relieved. I noticed that when I place the tablet on a flat surface and I tap on the screen (to write or someting) the lcd screen ripples like there is something from behind the screen ging pressure on it. Maybe the screen had to much pressure on it for a certain time??"

I do hope yours holds, but I would not hold my breath. Mine did just like yours ..and finally went grey all the time. From what I can tell ..MiXu's was that way almost from the start ..with some other complications. If you read his posts he mentions he never turns it off, and yes ..it is grey and bad colors..just like mine.

I don't think it is pressure (had the back off ..looked fine) ....MiXu does not think it is hardware (I think it could be) & McBub ..as for now ...does not have a solution.

:(

Last edited:

MiXu

Dec 2, 2011
Berserk, as U can read this thread that's the main issue me and Bamabanda have talking all the way...I even mentioned that in my last post today. Just little wait before restart and screen is ok, at I least have.

These are mysterious gadgets :confused:

And yes, I do have patience, sending this back from here would be waaayy too expensive...and at this point warranty has gone with the wind (rooted, opened)

Someday someone finds out what's wrong. Manufacturer, user, Mcbub's staff...

Last edited: