All file format extensions that are the same are not equal??

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
Im confused..

I downloaded 2 movies, both are .avi files. After moving both to my movies folder, one I can easily play from either clear-fi, or acer media, or the native video app. the other grumbles something about video cannot be played if I try to play from acer media or clear-fi. but I can play it, if I use "online player" app, or the native video app thats on the device. Similarly when I share that movie with clear fi, my Windows7 machines can not play it either , but CAN easily play the other .avi movie?

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks
Diane

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
.avi designates a container, in which several different formats of video may be stored.
It does not designate a totally specific type of content or bit rate etc.

Go get Mobo Player (free) and it will probably play all of them just fine, as long you use the setting "Default use Software decode" (located under dot dot dot on the menu at bottom).

And try the VLC player on your laptop. It works better than microsoft's stuff.

Last edited:

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
Thanks, thats sorta kinda what I was thinking, but how can I work around it not playing in acer media or clear fi?

The Online TV app I got, plays it just fine, but I was wanting to find a reliable way to share movies from my A500 to other devices via Clear-fi

Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well if Clear-Fi is not capable of playing them you are pretty much toast as far as streaming.

Cheap micro-hdmi to standard hdmi would work, because you can play them with Mobo player and cable to
the big screen. Quality is better than Clear-fi but the convenience is not so good.

Or you can find some software and re-encode your movies on your PC, then transfer them back to the tablet, (or just share them from the PC).

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
Ya, thank you , guess those are my options. I do have software for file conversions, I have to figure out which flavor of .avi I need to convert it to.

I did order a micro-std hdmi, that willl be part of this whole deal too, but just liked the idea of streaming between devices on my network.

Funny, how some movies dl useable as are, and some not.. oh well, :)

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Depends on a lot of things. One file could be corrupted. Or not encoded correctly. It also depends on the conversion whether it was converted properly. It can depend on the difference between and older file and newer file. In other words if one movie is in an older format of .avi and the other in the new format of .avi. There have been modifications. I noticed this with the older .mov and the newer .mov. The older doesn't play but the newer does.